Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Premium Member
337 Posts
Nope. 3 different phones, all work fine.

One of a few things is happening

You've got too much stuff running in the background of your phone, or your phone might be in a bad spot (e.g. left pocket), or there's something interfering with the BT signal (something plugged in to the USB or OBD2 port?) ...or you've got a junk head unit.

Try with another phone. Same issue?

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
4,161 Posts
Although I primarily use CarPlay with my phone, BT performance has been rock solid for the year and a half I've owned it. Be sure you have the most current firmware on your head unit.

·
Registered
9 Posts
The BT in our car is horrible, it's so bad I can't listen to it.

It skips, goes silent, speeds up or slows down the music.

Anyone else encounter anything like this?
First post here. My wife is having the exact same issue as you with her new 2020 Ascent, just bought it, was a demo/loaner vehicle. What, if any, was the resolution?

·
Premium Member
337 Posts
First post here. My wife is having the exact same issue as you with her new 2020 Ascent, just bought it, was a demo/loaner vehicle. What, if any, was the resolution?
It really could be any number of things. WIthout knowing your model of phone and how your phone is configured, it's very difficult to say. I could be wrong - but there may be different head units in the Ascent? Permutations abound!

Bluetooth is just data over radio frequency. Maybe we can start with your phone? Is it in a case? Is it currently paired to anything else your wife might have on her (fitness tracker, earbuds, etc.)? Is it in her pocket? Have you tried connecting via Apple CarPlay or Android Auto to see if the same issue is present?

Finally there is a "Bluetooth Compatibility List" for the Subarus; have you validated your phone is on that list?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Thanks for the reply! It is a 2020 Ascent Premium, and the head unit has NAV it appears. She has an IPhone 11 and no issues to speak of when she uses it in our 2016 CR-V. She was driving the CR-V daily for work the last 4 years or so. I made sure she has nothing else running in the background of her phone, and no fitness trackers or other things paired via Bluetooth. I have yet to try and the Apple Carplay connection to see, we just the got the Ascent on Monday, so haven't had a whole lot of time to mess with it myself. But, she is in home health, so she quite literally works out of her car and it is "speeding up music, stopping, and then it starts to play again". Needless to say, she is annoyed, especially since it is a new vehicle for the most part (8k miles). If I can't figure it out and it does it with my phone, I'm going to see what the dealer will do for us.

edit: it is fine with Car Play, I just talked to her. So, looks like BT is the main culprit. I will try with my phone tonight and see what it does. I've got an Android phone, so completely different animal. If BT still has issues, I'm betting its the head unit.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Update

I've gotten so used to her using it, so I didn't think about it, but my wife has an apple watch. The dealer says that it is a problem with her watch interfering. This never happened in 5 years in other cars, so what gives with the Subie?

They said that Apple's fix is to tell them to turn off the watch. Well, She uses it while she is seeing patients for work, it's not something you can easily turn off and on at will. So basically, the car we bought for my wife to use to work out of, is going to negatively impact her work. It should be the opposite. We are not happy. I'm not sure what to do at this point.

·
Super Moderator
4,161 Posts
Hm..plug in the phone and use carplay
I actually agree with this. CarPlay is great and doesn't rely upon Bluetooth. That removes the contention between the phone and the watch while also trying to use Bluetooth to hit the head unit simultaneously. I suspect what may be at the heart of this is that unlike devices like my hearing aids that get "overruled" when my vehicle connects and becomes primary, the Apple Watch wants to retain the connection to the phone which is making things unclean for the phone to also connect to the head unit via Bluetooth. That's speculation on my part, but Apple Watch and the iPhone are paired pretty tight. I do not have an Apple Watch currently (I don't even use a watch...) so I can't investigate if I would have the same issue, but others have previously mentioned it.

Reactions: Titanrx8

·
Registered
9 Posts
I agree, I would use CarPlay myself but then again she is in and out of her car many many times per day. Thus plugging and unplugging constantly is not only a hassle but also hard on the charger port. All she wants to do is be able to listen to music during her breaks between patients while she is driving to the next patient. I'm sure she will figure out a new "routine" but I think the frustration stems from the fact that this being a brand new car, and is "less capable" technology wise for something simple as a stable BT connection.

·
Premium Member
337 Posts
I have an iPhone 11, and have only ever used Carplay. I don't have it synced up via BT at all. My wife's phone (Pixel 3) and my non work phone (S20 Super Ultra Mega 5G+ Go Crazy) are paired via BT.

On rare occasion, I do find the iPhone lagging when using Waze and using Amazon Music. A restart has typically fixed that. Things start to get wonky when switching from phone calls to Teams calls to GTM calls though.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Thanks for all of the replies guys. Looks like the reality of it is she is going to need to adapt to a new way of doing things, right, wrong or indifferent. She is trying out just using CarPlay today to see how that goes. I told her to unpair her phone entirely, so BT can't try to step over it. So far, she is reporting that it works well, so hopefully no other issues.

From some limited research, it seems to definitely be an Apple + Apple Watch issue, and it affects many other brands of cars as well, not just Subaru. The Iphone 11 was the first phone to utilize Apple's in-house BT chipset from what I'm reading, so that my be the culprit. I have a hunch they didn't adhere 100% to the BT standards, and aren't owning up to it.

Either way, if at the end of the day the wife is happy, I'm happy. (y)

·
Super Moderator
4,161 Posts
I suspect that the BT standard is certainly in there, but there may also be a "special relationship" between Watch and iPhone as I noted above because they are designed to work together seamlessly and that "hook" is interfering with vehicle BT. I may ask "Santa" for an Apple Watch this year and one thing I will be testing for sure is the effect of that pairing on use of other BT devices simultaneously, including my hearing aids and some other things. I don't care in my Ascent or Professor Dr. SWMBO's Forester because I pretty much automatically use CarPlay...formed that habit right away.

·
Registered
9 Posts
You'd think that if Apple were going to do that, it would be more of a proprietary protocol, not some half-baked Bluetooth or something. They could call it Appletooth, Blueapple, Applebyte, iLink, something...

It would obviously have to be in a similar frequency band, due to spectrum availability from FCC and the like, but dedicated for watch to phone interconnection only. Designed specifically to play nice and in a way as to not interfere with existing BT links, to assure compatibility with near-by and concurrent BT and Wifi connections. I suspect that if it causes issues with phone to car BT connection, there is a good chance it would cause problems with hearing aids and BT speakers, though my wife has not experienced any issues until she got her new subie. She loves her applewatch, and has been through a couple over the last 6 years, using one daily. She also loves her new car. So, hopefully, getting her used to using just CarPlay will be the ticket.

·
Administrator
11,089 Posts
Update

I've gotten so used to her using it, so I didn't think about it, but my wife has an apple watch. The dealer says that it is a problem with her watch interfering. This never happened in 5 years in other cars, so what gives with the Subie?

They said that Apple's fix is to tell them to turn off the watch. Well, She uses it while she is seeing patients for work, it's not something you can easily turn off and on at will. So basically, the car we bought for my wife to use to work out of, is going to negatively impact her work. It should be the opposite. We are not happy. I'm not sure what to do at this point.
Apple is working on a fix. This is a problem that affects various brands and the combination of certain phones/iOS versions and Apple watches. Apple has not been forthcoming with the details besides their recommendation to turn off the watch (it's not Subaru's).

·
Registered
9 Posts
Apple is working on a fix. This is a problem that affects various brands and the combination of certain phones/iOS versions and Apple watches. Apple has not been forthcoming with the details besides their recommendation to turn off the watch (it's not Subaru's).
Hey Robert, I appreciate the reply. That is what I've found from my research over the last day and a half, as well. It is in the way that Apple has integrated the Bluetooth communications, NOT a Subaru specific issue.

·
Administrator
11,089 Posts
Hey Robert, I appreciate the reply. That is what I've found from my research over the last day and a half, as well. It is in the way that Apple has integrated the Bluetooth communications, NOT a Subaru specific issue.
Sadly. BUT, I am keeping an eye out for a fix from them. Hopefully, they will come out with something soon. I'd be annoyed as heck if I had to turn off my Samsung watch every time I got in the car.

So, here's a question for you iPhone users... can you set up routines? I could disconnect my Galaxy Note from my Samsung Watch by a preset routine like this:

If in car-> Disconnect from watch​
or​
If head unit bluetooth connects->Disconnect from watch​
or​
If head unit wifi connects->Disconnect from watch​

I can enable an auto-revert as well, so as soon as the condition isn't met, things revert to normal. That's now built into Samsung phones, but, there were a bunch of third party apps that allowed the same thing on Android for ages.

I think IFTTT allows it on iPhone (iOS 10+). Perhaps you all can look into that?

·
Registered
2020 Subaru Ascent Touring
11 Posts
Hi, Robert.Mauro.

You indicated that Apple is working on a fix for this issue. Where did you see that? I cannot find anything on this from them. I have tried a number of “solutions” to no avail shared in this forum and in the Facebook group. Drives me crazy!

Thanks!
Ryan

1 - 20 of 47 Posts