Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,
I just got a Subaru Ascent Touring at the end of May and I have been so frustrated. From the third day I got it, the button to adjust the driver’s seat has been jammed. On Thursday, I went to start my car and it was dead. Subaru roadside came and said they heard a faint beeping from the tailgate and it may have been left open (I was out the prior day, didn’t use the tailgate at all, and there was no alert while I was driving that it was open...) He jumped the battery and my husband drove it to the dealer. They checked out the car and said they ran a bunch of diagnostics and everything was fine. I don’t think they did anything else. They ordered a new part for the driver’s seat which I have to go back in for.
I drove the car home yesterday and made one stop where I got out and re-entered/restarted.

This morning the car is completely unresponsive. The unlock function won’t work on the app, nothing happens when I click either key fob, and even the valet key does not seem to be opening the driver’s side door. The dealership is closed today (July 4.) I will call them in the morning, but I had items in the trunk I wanted access to, I have a birthday gift in the car for my daughter, etc - and I can’t even get into it. Any thoughts on what happened here? I bought this car after having a Honda Pilot on lease and I literally never once had a problem with it at all.

(I’m leaving out the other part that I live in New York and went to a grocery store for the first time two weeks ago since March, and when I came out someone had pulled into a spot too fast and smashed my rear bumper - which now needs to be replaced. Luckily the guy waited and is covering the cost, but as you can tell this car has been one aggravation after another since I got it. Though of course the last one is no fault of Subaru’s.)

I have heard there may have been an issue with the rear tail gate draining the battery. Any other thoughts? Why can’t I get in my car with the valet key? Thank you for your help.

·
Administrator
11,125 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Turn it with more force.

What part of NY are you in?
I’m on Long Island. I just tried the other valet key and got it open. The battery is blinking red again. It’s dead. Do you know if Subaru roadside will tow me to the dealer for them to replace the battery? I live 35 minutes away and have been there twice in two days.

·
Administrator
11,125 Posts
I’m on Long Island. I just tried the other valet key and got it open. The battery is blinking red again. It’s dead. Do you know if Subaru roadside will tow me to the dealer for them to replace the battery? I live 35 minutes away and have been there twice in two days.
Possibly. Towing is included.

Is it the FOB battery that is blinking?

If you're not horribly far from the Islips, I can swap out the FOB battery. I have tons.

And if you have CR2032 batteries, you can follow my video to easily do it.

If it's the car battery, I can jump it for you, and maintain social distancing. I have a big jump pack that's always in my Ascent.

What dealership do you use?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Possibly. Towing is included.

Is it the FOB battery that is blinking?

If you're not horribly far from the Islips, I can swap out the FOB battery. I have tons.

And if you have CR2032 batteries, you can follow my video to easily do it.

If it's the car battery, I can jump it for you, and maintain social distancing. I have a big jump pack that's always in my Ascent.

What dealership do you use?
Thanks - that is really kind of you to offer. It’s the car battery, not the key fob. I use Competition in St. James.
I actually have two key fobs and replacement batteries. My friend down the block has some jumper cables and can probably get me going enough to get me to the dealership. I’m more just kind of getting annoyed about having to keep going back there 😀 I feel like they should just replace the battery since I’ve had the car for 5 weeks. At least I was able to get the car opened for now to get what I need, and my husband has a car too.

·
Super Moderator
2,586 Posts
I’m wondering if when you were rear ended something got jarred loose that makes it think the liftgate isn’t fully closed, then drains your battery? I realize you said there was no warning when driving, which is very noticeable because I’ve done it (on purpose). Just hypothesizing.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
I had a dead battery from accidentally bumping into and turning on a dome light in the second row. You can turn them on and off by pressing on them. The issues is, either way, they're on when the doors are open and the only way to tell if it is switched on is to close all the doors and wait for all the lights to go out. If one doesn't, it's on and can drain the battery.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I’m wondering if when you were rear ended something got jarred loose that makes it think the liftgate isn’t fully closed, then drains your battery? I realize you said there was no warning when driving, which is very noticeable because I’ve done it (on purpose). Just hypothesizing.
Ah that is so interesting. I never thought of that. He hit me more on the left rear side, and it’s not scheduled to get fixed til the 15th but maybe I’ll see if I can get it done quicker. When I was looking under there today, I saw how many camera and things there were in that area...

·
Registered
3 Posts
I also have a ‘20 Ascent. It was purchased in Oct. I had battery issues as well. Would be dead, got jumped. Couple days later, dead again. I live 200 miles from dealership- I called and emailed until they agreed to let me replace it here. Did not want to risk driving that far and end up stranded with dead battery. I had my battery replaced which they reimbursed me for. Since that- no issues!!

·
Registered
8 Posts
I've had a dead battery episode twice on our 2019 (bought in August 2018) Ascent Limited. In both cases, I believe it was due to a dome light on that one of our grand kids may have turned on. Starting recently, before I lock up for the night, I turn off the light in our garage (which is normally on all the time; the Ascent and another car are in the garage). Then it would be easy enough for me to check if any dome lights are on in the Ascent. When done checking, I turn the garage light back on. Hopefully this will eliminate or at least diminish the times when I suffer from dead battery on the Ascent.

On a related note, when I recently took the Ascent to the dealership for the fuel pump recall work, I had the service people also check on the battery. They did and also checked the alternator. Told me everything is okay. I spoke with the dealership general manager and told him about my battery problem. He generously offered for me to buy another battery and he would pay for it. After the conversation with the general manager I went to a battery store that the general manager recommended. The main guy at the battery place checked my battery and told me nothing's wrong with it. I went back to the dealership and told the general manager that since two places with experts told me the battery is good, I would keep on having it. The general manager assured me that the offer is still good any time I want to replace it with another with more juice. My dealership is Stewart Subaru in Yakima, WA, the only one in my city/county.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I also have a ‘20 Ascent. It was purchased in Oct. I had battery issues as well. Would be dead, got jumped. Couple days later, dead again. I live 200 miles from dealership- I called and emailed until they agreed to let me replace it here. Did not want to risk driving that far and end up stranded with dead battery. I had my battery replaced which they reimbursed me for. Since that- no issues!!
Thanks! They called me today. They replaced the battery but now said there is something wrong with the lift gate. So they may need to order another part and hold it a few more days. And they just replaced the piece that adjusts the front seat. They were very nice but really frustrating not to have a car for this long that costs what it does, plus all these problems right out the gate.

·
Administrator
11,125 Posts
Chances are you will be getting a new liftgate control module. Not a bad thing. And, I know things are annoying with what you're going through, but, the one good thing is Subaru will get it right and get you on the road, and, my friends over at Competition will take good care of you.

Thanks! They called me today. They replaced the battery but now said there is something wrong with the lift gate. So they may need to order another part and hold it a few more days. And they just replaced the piece that adjusts the front seat. They were very nice but really frustrating not to have a car for this long that costs what it does, plus all these problems right out the gate.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Chances are you will be getting a new liftgate control module. Not a bad thing. And, I know things are annoying with what you're going through, but, the one good thing is Subaru will get it right and get you on the road, and, my friends over at Competition will take good care of you.
Great thanks. They really have been very helpful and nice in the service department.
Hoping it’s just a bad first month and smooth sailing after this... 😀

·
Registered
852 Posts
Competition is where I bought the ‘16 Outback pryor to the Ascent when I lived on the Island.I believe they went by a different dealer name back then.Smithtown Subaru? 🤷‍♂️

·
Administrator
11,125 Posts
Competition is where I bought the ‘16 Outback pryor to the Ascent when I lived on the Island.I believe they went by a different dealer name back then.Smithtown Subaru? 🤷‍♂️
Hmm, I am honestly not sure. They are in the Smithtown area so that would make sense.
Competition Auto Group took them over a few years back, changed management, etc, and Competition Subaru was born. Since then, they also moved to a brand new (and bigger) location, and are using the original location for inventory staging and overflow.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts