Subaru Ascent Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,
I have a 2020 Ascent Premium with 15,000 miles on it purchased 1 year ago. It seems I've always noticed a slight shudder, like driving over the center dots or the road edge that is designed to wake a driver up when lightly using the throttle and a hill is approached. It's like I'm just too light on the throttle, the car tries to down shift and it's hunting between the downshift and the taller gear. I know these are CVT's but that's what I and my wife feel. It's slowly gotten worse, so when I took the car in to the dealer about pulsing brakes, (they said rotors warped and replacing), they looked into it. They could not replicate the sensation, so they escalated it to someone referred to as the area rep. The rep called me and I described the sensation and exactly what local road areas this is most prevalent. He told me he would check tomorrow and that if he couldn't get it to happen, I will meet him and demonstrate.
I know of the 2019 problems but I don't think I've heard of 2020's with this problem. If anyone can shed light that I can pass along to the rep, that would be great!

·
Administrator
8,304 Posts
At what speeds and RPMs do you notice this shudder?

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Two occasions;
Flat road at 55-60mph, as I start up a slight grade, keeping my foot steady on the throttle, not adding any, the transmission feels like it's trying to downshift, but then instantly upshifts again, repeat rapid-fire for a few seconds, then stops. RPM's slightly below 2K then downshift to around 22K, maybe 23K?
Second occasion is on a fairly steep uphill twisty narrow road at between 30 and 40 mph, steady throttle. Near the top of the hill, it gets real bad with hunting for the right gear.
I realize these don't have gears, but that's what it feels like. Not sure of the RPM's as I'm actively driving a narrow twisty road and don't check.

·
Administrator
8,304 Posts
Mine did that immediately following a reprogram. In two weeks, it never did it again (and that was about 30,000 miles ago). It should not be hunting that many times at your mileage. I'd have it checked out - as you know, key thing will be them being able to replicate it. :(

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Mine did that immediately following a reprogram. In two weeks, it never did it again (and that was about 30,000 miles ago). It should not be hunting that many times at your mileage. I'd have it checked out - as you know, key thing will be them being able to replicate it. :(
Fortunately the rep I spoke on the phone with and will be performing the test drive said he would call me if he couldn't replicate and wife and I could test it with him.
Also, as long as I got it on record, my hope is that it will cover me if it fails past my 3year/36,000 mile factory warranty. Is that a valid hope or should I just bite the bullet and get the warranty? I trade in every 4 to 5 years with about 20K miles a year/80,000 miles.

·
Administrator
8,304 Posts
I can't answer to how Subaru will specifically handle it for you, but, in the past, I know they've sometimes made allowances within "reasonable" amounts of time/miles. For instance, if you come back at 142,302 miles, I doubt they're helping you. ;)

·
Registered
145 Posts
I've had this issue for a couple of months. currently have about 16000 miles. mine is usually when I'm speeding back up after slowing down. Service department couldn't replicate (because reasons) but it was reported. It is a real problem so more people need to report it

·
Registered
2020 Limited (Crystal White Pearl)
35 Posts
My 2020 Limited is starting to stutter as well - it happens most consistently on a stretch of road on the way home. When traveling around 40 mph with foot steady on the gas pedal - when it begins a gradual up hill & I give it some gas to maintain speed, it stutters.

I am also getting the clunk when shifting from reverse to drive (with car completely stopped, foot firmly on brake and I never remove my foot from the brake or give it gas in drive until the shift is complete).

Very disappointing - but that's what warranty is for.

Was planning a service visit in the near future for squealing brakes - I guess I will get them started with looking into the shuttering and clunking as well.

(edit) Should I wait until the squeally brakes and transmission issues are resolved before having them go at the right front clunk?

·
Registered
6 Posts
I just scheduled a service appointment for these issues. Braking above 60mph vibrates and shutters aggressively. I notice a lag in power as I try to accelerate at about 2,000rpm. I've also had a knocking noise in my rear passenger wheel well that I've heard since the day I bought the car but the dealership has not been able to identify the issue yet. Not sure if anyone else has noticed that noise. Hoping warranty will cover these issues.

·
Registered
665 Posts
Wonder if a CKE CVT transmission mount insert would ease the mind?

Masking an issue by dampening the symptoms I would agree, shameless shill that I am.

:love:

·
Registered
2019 Limited
20 Posts
Two occasions;
Flat road at 55-60mph, as I start up a slight grade, keeping my foot steady on the throttle, not adding any, the transmission feels like it's trying to downshift, but then instantly upshifts again, repeat rapid-fire for a few seconds, then stops. RPM's slightly below 2K then downshift to around 22K, maybe 23K?
Second occasion is on a fairly steep uphill twisty narrow road at between 30 and 40 mph, steady throttle. Near the top of the hill, it gets real bad with hunting for the right gear.
I realize these don't have gears, but that's what it feels like. Not sure of the RPM's as I'm actively driving a narrow twisty road and don't check.
I have a 2019 that has done this since some time around 5-10k miles. It had a reprogram of the ECU and did it worse after, then better, now worse. It shudders in scenarios just as you describe. I described it to the service manager once riding with me for a different issue, and he didn't seem concerned. The 2019s do have a 100k CVT warranty if they have not been replaced already and underwent the ECU reprogram, so that makes me feel better.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts