Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
Subaru Ascent 2020
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't know what prompted me to try this (maybe just out of sheer curiosity) but while driving down the road I pushed the folding mirror button and to my surprise both side mirrors powered into the folded parked position. I can't think of any logical safe reason why the side mirrors would need to be powered in while driving. Can you? Me thinks this folding side mirror function should be automatically disabled while the car is in motion (to prevent accidental folding). Here in California, according to https://www.dmv.ca.gov/ all cars must have two mirrors that give the driver a view of 200 ft rearward and one of these must be affixed to the left side of the car. What are your thoughts on this issue?

·
Registered
3,725 Posts
I do not think it warrants increasing the costs and complexity of the vehicle which additional wiring would do. I could wonder a lot of what ifs..., but I will not try because there is no upside and could be a big downside. There was no upside for folding in the mirrors while driving (other than satisfying your own curiosity). The downside if they folded was known ahead of the experiment. Did you know you can adjust the steering wheel and I think the seats while driving as well. I do not advise trying it.

·
Registered
29 Posts
They didn't code folding them in when you shut the car off, why would they code to lock them out while driving?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Living in NYC, had try it driving down a one way street with both side full of parked cars. A double parked car in front of you and you try to squeeze through, only thing that prevent you from going forward is both mirrors are sticking out, instead come out of the car, you folded mirrors while you pass the car.

·
Administrator
10,986 Posts
Where is it located that you would accidentally press it?
and if you did, press it again..
If you look at your Mirror Adjustment Knob thingy, you will note the lock/unlock buttons on the bottom, the knob in the middle, and one blank crescent shaped button/panel above it that does not move or depress.

In the 2020 Ascent Touring, it's a button, which controls the mirror folding.

Me thinks this folding side mirror function should be automatically disabled while the car is in motion (to prevent accidental folding). Here in California, according to https://www.dmv.ca.gov/ all cars must have two mirrors that give the driver a view of 200 ft rearward and one of these must be affixed to the left side of the car. What are your thoughts on this issue?
To park in one's garage (for instance, the garage at the place I used to rent would not fit my Ascent with the mirrors out). Or, for in city parking garages, such as yesterday, where i parked in a NYC garage, and they had to fold a mirror in to fit a spot.

Or for reasons such as this...
Living in NYC, had try it driving down a one way street with both side full of parked cars. A double parked car in front of you and you try to squeeze through, only thing that prevent you from going forward is both mirrors are sticking out, instead come out of the car, you folded mirrors while you pass the car.

·
Registered
Subaru Ascent 2020
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I don't know what prompted me to try this (maybe just out of sheer curiosity) but while driving down the road I pushed the folding mirror button and to my surprise both side mirrors powered into the folded parked position. I can't think of any logical safe reason why the side mirrors would need to be powered in while driving. Can you? Me thinks this folding side mirror function should be automatically disabled while the car is in motion (to prevent accidental folding). Here in California, according to https://www.dmv.ca.gov/ all cars must have two mirrors that give the driver a view of 200 ft rearward and one of these must be affixed to the left side of the car. What are your thoughts on this issue?
Thanks to all who replied to my post. Folding the mirrors in while parking or squeezing through tight quarters makes a lot of sense, those were good constructive replies. I'll modify my post to read perhaps the side mirrors should be disabled over a certain speed. Adjusting seats etc. while driving is not illegal in CA.... but driving with the mirrors folded in is. There are a few things on the 2020 Ascent that are activated and deactivated relative to speed, why not the side mirrors. I'm not looking to argue the point or its economics, I just think its a controllable safety issue.

·
Registered
50 Posts
@Iceman34 I do understand your safety concern but I think (almost) any driver would notice a folded mirror before driving off or at least hit a certain speed. I don’t intent this next comment to be mean but don’t we usually check our mirrors before we drive?

I am guilty myself of forgetting to unfold since this is the first car I’ve had with power folding mirrors. I have to maneuver through my wife’s car before exiting my small driveway... but I only drove like 10ft out of my driveway before I checked my mirrors.

·
Super Moderator
2,449 Posts
@Iceman34 I do understand your safety concern but I think (almost) any driver would notice a folded mirror before driving off or at least hit a certain speed.
I could be wrong but the OP may not be as concerned for their safety as with compliance with laws. In the same way that vehicles are designed to comply with all sorts of requirements, the side folding mirror could potentially fit in the same category.
Example: requirements for the radius of every crease in the sheet metal to protect pedestrians, or taillights being required to illuminate a minimum surface area.

·
Administrator
10,986 Posts
All states require both mirrors on all cars built after a certain year, due to federal regulations. But that applies to manufacture.

Most states require people to have them on cars built after a certain year, and that they must be functional.

But, unlike seat belt laws, requiring them often does not affect how the driver uses them. For instance, requiring a mirror to be equipped that can see at least 200 feet back is absolutely different than requiring the use of such a mirror. The laws of this type are black and white.

Here's Cali, note the specific wording.

California Vehicle Code, Section 26709.

(a) Every motor vehicle registered in a foreign jurisdiction and every motorcycle subject to registration in this state shall be equipped with a mirror so located as to reflect to the driver a view of the highway for a distance of at least 200 feet to the rear of such vehicle.

Every motor vehicle subject to registration in this state, except a motorcycle, shall be equipped with not less than two such mirrors, including one affixed to the left-hand side.

(b) The following described types of motor vehicles, of a type subject to registration, shall be equipped with mirrors on both the left-and right-hand sides of the vehicle so located as to reflect to the driver a view of the highway through each mirror for a distance of at least 200 feet to the rear of such vehicle:

(1) A motor vehicle so constructed or loaded as to obstruct the driver's view to the rear.

(2) A motor vehicle towing a vehicle and the towed vehicle or load thereon obstructs the driver's view to the rear.

(3) A bus or trolley coach.

(c) The provisions of subdivision (b) shall not apply to a passenger vehicle when the load obstructing the driver's view consists of passengers. Amended Ch. 74, Stats. 1970. Effective November 23, 1970.

·
Super Moderator
2,449 Posts
Virginia is similar. “Equipped with a mirror which reflects to the driver... not less than 200’”
I’m not a lawyer but to me that means it can’t just be installed and able to reflect to the driver, it has to actually be reflecting to the driver.
I’m sure there’s a case or two out there to reinforce interpreting either way
Text Font Document Paper Technology

so if power folding mirrors become more prevalent, wording may have to be updated or added similar to how laws were adapted to include mobile devices

·
Administrator
10,986 Posts
Yep, that one is pretty clear, since it talks about the driver and mirror. But that's the difference between them and CA, which talks about the vehicle and it being equipped with the mirror. One discusses use by driver, the other discusses the vehicle needing to be equipped with a mirror having certain capabilities.

Virginia is similar. “Equipped with a mirror which reflects to the driver... not less than 200’”
I’m not a lawyer but to me that means it can’t just be installed and able to reflect to the driver, it has to actually be reflecting to the driver.
I’m sure there’s a case or two out there to reinforce interpreting either way View attachment 1541

so if power folding mirrors become more prevalent, wording may have to be updated or added similar to how laws were adapted to include mobile devices

·
Registered
18 Posts
I could be wrong but the OP may not be as concerned for their safety as with compliance with laws. In the same way that vehicles are designed to comply with all sorts of requirements, the side folding mirror could potentially fit in the same category.
Example: requirements for the radius of every crease in the sheet metal to protect pedestrians, or taillights being required to illuminate a minimum surface area.
i mean, the law requires for the doors to be shut when driving, Do we have manufactures disable the opening of doors when the vehicles are moving?

·
Super Moderator
2,449 Posts
i mean, the law requires for the doors to be shut when driving, Do we have manufactures disable the opening of doors when the vehicles are moving?
Because I have no problem continuing to play devils advocate... :devilish:
yes, some do limit the ability. in my bmw and chevy, the door handle has to be pulled twice when it is locked in order to open from the inside. it locks automatically around 5mph

·
Registered
Subaru Ascent 2020
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Because I have no problem continuing to play devils advocate... :devilish:
yes, some do limit the ability. in my bmw and chevy, the door handle has to be pulled twice when it is locked in order to open from the inside. it locks automatically around 5mph
Yes, you are absolutley correct, and did you know that CA law does not require an automobile to have doors installed. Yup, here in CA anyway, you could rip all the doors off your car and you are good to go. But you are required by law to wear a seat belt at all times. ?

·
Super Moderator
2,449 Posts
Yup, here in CA anyway, you could rip all the doors off your car and you are good to go. But you are required by law to wear a seat belt at all times. ?
I’m admittedly not read up on ALL vehicular codes but the door thing doesn’t surprise me, mostly because Jeep. You’ve gotta just about be a lawyer to design a car that meets requirements everywhere it’s sold though.
Back to the original subject... the driver of the vehicle is responsible for safely operating it. To me that includes being aware of surroundings by actively using the mirrors. Therefore a driver should not fold them while driving. Sure Subaru could’ve built in an interlock to prevent the mirrors from moving over a certain speed and it probably wouldn’t have been all that difficult. But they didnt. We brought it up. Maybe they’ll change that in the future. Maybe not. 2020 Ascents got a reminder not to leave kids in the car instead. Apparently that was a bigger issue ?‍♂

·
Registered
24 Posts
Coming from a 2013 BMW 3 series previously, there were apps that many of us used to code things on and off e.g. turning off seatbelt warning chime, windows up and down with key fob, DVD in motion etc. Now, I'm new to Subarus, in fact I've ordered my Ascent but it has yet to be delivered; therefore I was curious if there was such a platform for our cars and does anyone think auto folding upon locking with key fob would be something that could be coded in?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.