Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m curious whether others have run into a problem with the pistons on their power lift gate. Mine works but started making a horrible grinding noise about a year ago, around 20000 miles. I took it to the dealer and got “Yeah, that doesn’t sound good.” It seems it doesn’t happen often enough for a dealers service bulletin, so no offer to repair it for anything but full retail. I bought aftermarket pistons but they don’t fit - Subaru only it seems. So for now I’ve decided to live with it until it fails and then hope for a service bulletin or pay to fix it then.

·
Registered
2019 Outback Premium, 2012 Forester Premium
8 Posts
I’m curious whether others have run into a problem with the pistons on their power lift gate. Mine works but started making a horrible grinding noise about a year ago, around 20000 miles. I took it to the dealer and got “Yeah, that doesn’t sound good.” It seems it doesn’t happen often enough for a dealers service bulletin, so no offer to repair it for anything but full retail. I bought aftermarket pistons but they don’t fit - Subaru only it seems. So for now I’ve decided to live with it until it fails and then hope for a service bulletin or pay to fix it then.
hold up… you took it to a dealer under your 3/36 warranty, they admitted yeah that doesn’t sound good, but wouldn’t fix it because there isn’t a tsb for it? I’d look for a new dealer or call Subaru and try to get them to replace it for you.

edit: I had an issue with my forester and took it to the dealer, I had a horrible noise on cold engine start. They tried telling me yeah that doesn’t sound great but you know boxer engines are loud. Took it to another dealer out of town who promptly figured out that my timing chain tensioner was all jacked up and needed replacing. Seemed like a case of I just don’t want to deal with this at the first dealer.

·
Administrator
12,749 Posts
It's covered under the 3 years/36K mile warranty.

·
Registered
2022 Ascent Onyx edition, Autumn Green Metallic.
56 Posts
You don't need Subaru to issue A TSB to have defects repaired. Maybe time to go to a different dealership.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Happy to report that my dealership is fixing it under the 3/36 warranty when I take it in next week for the cvt fix. I’m at 35723 miles, so it’s sitting in the garage til Monday. When I took it in before, I didn’t ask if it was covered under the warranty - thought the warranty mostly just covered engine and drivetrain. My bad, but I told the service manager this week it seems like his guy could /should have suggested it was a warranty item - it’s more business for them, not a cost they have to cover.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts