Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In our recently purchased new Ascent we have a coke spill in the cup holder. My wife opened the coke bottle and set it down for a moment in the holder, it tipped over spilling into the holder. Now we have sticky coke under the clear plastic liner. My question is, there a way to pop that clear plastic liner out in order to clean the coke spill up?
We now know that the holders are of a poor design so will have to be aware of this going forward.
Thanks for any help, suggestions on getting to
the spill.
Jim / Lori

·
Administrator
11,090 Posts

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
I have a black opaque rubber bottom in the cup holders that has a tab at the backmost part that allows pulling it out. Is this different than that?

FWIW, we were just looking at a Honda Ridgeline (top rated PU by CR....ruh roh
!...) and it has the same front cup holder design (or lack thereof depending on your point of view).

·
Registered
581 Posts
Cupholders are not a "one size fits all". No matter what the size, there will be a ton of complaints.. It's not a design flaw. Remember, you can make a large holder smaller but can't make a small one larger.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
There are cup holders that have mechanisms that allow them to accommodate and adequately retain a range of cup sizes. Our '04 PU has these, as did my recently deceased Lexus, the latter in both front and rear seat cup holders. In any case, I think it's the lack of these in favor of a simple cylindrical recess that some owners view as a shortcoming.

·
Registered
731 Posts
My ‘14 Forester XT had great spring loaded front cupholders.

The Ascent’s are simply inferior. Subaru often takes steps backwards on things.

They probably made the pretty LED ring their top priority and function 2nd priority...

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
4,165 Posts
They did away with the spring loaded things a few years ago it seems. Our MY11 Outback Limited had them (one got lost and the new one after that one broke but fortunately replacements are available) but our MY16 Outback Limited with Eyesight didn't have them...it's a similar setup to the Ascent.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.