Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Ascent 2020 tailgate works perfectly fine with the car off. When I start the car the interior button gives me 3 beeps. The tailgate can only be opened manually by holding the unlatch button for 10 seconds then I have to manually open it.
I have tried:
Pulling fuse 14
Disconnecting the battery terminals
Going to the back of my car with the keyfob
Pressing trunk unlock on trunk and unlock on keypad
Unlocking all doors
Checking if the memory button was pushed in.
Taking the hatch cover off and pressing the release with a screwdriver.
I brought it to Subaru they performed a tsb on it still doesn't work.
Can anyone confirm that it actually opens with the car started, or have any other ideas?

·
Registered
3,655 Posts
I have not had any tailgate issues with my 2019 limited. With issues like this I would simply leave it with the dealership, get an Ascent loaner and make it clear that they should not give the vehicle make to you unless they are 100% certain it works all the time they way it is supposed to. I would not waste my time trying to do their work. they have all the tech support they need from Subaru along with all the parts required to replace what might need replacing.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
3,723 Posts
Press the unlock button on the driver door and THEN press and hold the hatch release button on the dash. When using the button from the driver's seat, the vehicle must be unlocked. If, for some reason, a passenger got out first, triggering the door locks off automatically, you still need to do the unlock at the driver's seat unless you get a particular TSB performed by your dealer which it sounds like you have.

Also be sure you're pressing the correct button...there are two for the hatch and one sets the memory. Hitting that one can really screw things up.

If things are still not working, something is greatly amiss.

Reactions: SA2020

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
According to Subaru the 2020 ascent has a safety feature where you can't open the trunk with the car on even if it's in park so dumb. I was recommended by a friend who works on cars to possibly put a switch on the relay

·
Registered
677 Posts
According to Subaru the 2020 ascent has a safety feature where you can't open the trunk with the car on even if it's in park so dumb. I was recommended by a friend who works on cars to possibly put a switch on the relay
Wrong, read your owner manual... car in park doos unlocked.. all you need
And TSB is only for 2019 ..

·
Administrator
10,811 Posts
Doesn't work at all. I even tested a 2020 at the dealership same thing. Makes no sense.
SHOULD work. Odd...

I'd turn off liftgate memory, and try again.

·
Registered
677 Posts
Doesn't work at all. I even tested a 2020 at the dealership same thing. Makes no sense.
Right .. why is working for both 2020 I have ..and was working fine on 2019 too I have it set to unlock on park .. the only time it was not working on 2019 if I open door before putting it in park

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
I think my hatch is behaving differently than it used to. I do not have the memory button engaged. I can have the engine running, in Park (parking brake on too), doors unlocked, and the inside hatch button will not work. I get three beeps. If all I do is shut the engine off, then it will work. Unless I'm going crazy this is very strange.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
The beep-beep-beep at the trunk says it's locked to me. I just go unlock it and open it manually at the gate, while the car is on; just can't do it w/ the key fob though.

I wish there's a way to bypass the key fob lock out during ACC/IGN on. But this lock out feature has been there since the 90s on OEM keyless system.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts