Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have had our 2020 Ascent for 2 months. It has about 1300 miles now. About four weeks after buying it, I tried to start the car and it wouldn't turn over. All the lights came on (plus the radio at full volume) but the engine would not turn over. After about 10 minutes of trying, I gave up and called Uber. Later that night, the Ascent started without an issue when I drove it to a meeting. I started the Ascent after the meeting, and everything was fine except that the trunk randomly popped open and would not close no matter what I did. We had to manually rope it closed to get back home. Parked it in the garage and shut it down (with trunk open). I then crawled into the back and popped one of the plastic covers to manually latch the trunk. No problems the next day. Then, two days later, we had a dead battery. Got a jump and then had no issues for the next four weeks.

Fast forward to today (Week #8 with the car). It started fine twice this morning. At lunch I went out to run an errand, and the car would not start when I came back out. I tried for 5 minutes, and it just wouldn't engage. Everything turned on but the engine wouldn't start. I called for Roadside Assistance, but Subaru said it would be an hour(!). [I think that is crazy, btw, in metro Washington, DC.] I hung up with Subaru, called my husband in frustration, and then decided to try one more time. Surprise-- the car just turned on with no issues! So I cancelled Roadside Assistance and drove home.

This seems insane for a 2 month old car. We're taking it in on Saturday, but has anyone experienced something similar? I am regretting trading in my 12 year old CRV, which never had any problems!!!

·
Registered
50 Posts
Just out of curiosity, were the keys/fob in the car when you tried to start it or close the truck?

I’m a new owner as well with about 2.5k miles on my Ascent. I would accidentally have the fob out of range when engine starting by Starlink and trying to put it into drive. It happens with the trunk as well.

I’m sure your problem is more complicated than that.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
3,886 Posts
I'm wondering if you don't have an intermittent problem with the switch/sensor associated with the brake pedal that must be actuated for the vehicle to start?

Reactions: J_Ascent2020

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just out of curiosity, were the keys/fob in the car when you tried to start it or close the truck?

I’m a new owner as well with about 2.5k miles on my Ascent. I would accidentally have the fob out of range when engine starting by Starlink and trying to put it into drive. It happens with the trunk as well.

I’m sure your problem is more complicated than that.
The key was in my pocket the entire time. I've actually never even tried to start it by Starlink!

·
Administrator
10,968 Posts
Have you made sure that your foot is firmly pressed on the pedal, and most importantly, that you don't remove your foot until after the engine starts?

When you press the button, the dials will spin, but, the car won't try starting for a half second to second. And, it won't complete starting until a second or two later. If you remove your foot from the brake before the sequence is complete, the starter will disengage and turn off - or (as might be happening to you) not engage at all.

The start delay got me a few times when I first owned the car.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I also have a 2020 Ascent and have the EXACT issue. I just left work, went to a shop, came out and car would not start. Totally dead, have to have husband come and jump. I have had car 1 month, has 1000 miles. So frustrating!

·
Registered
820 Posts
I would double check the battery connections and ground connection.Could be a bad battery.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I also have a 2020 Ascent and have the EXACT issue. I just left work, went to a shop, came out and car would not start. Totally dead, have to have husband come and jump. I have had car 1 month, has 1000 miles. So frustrating!
Original poster here again. Well, husband got stuck tonight and it wouldn't start again. The guy STARLINK sent said we should take it back to the dealer and demand a new car. He thinks we got a bad vehicle off the assembly line. Is there really a process to do that? We're taking it into the dealer for diagnostics tomorrow, but I can't tell you how annoyed I am that we are needing to do this for a 2 month old car with 1300 miles. I am deeply regretting this purchase.

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
We have had our 2020 Ascent for 2 months. It has about 1300 miles now. About four weeks after buying it, I tried to start the car and it wouldn't turn over. All the lights came on (plus the radio at full volume) but the engine would not turn over. After about 10 minutes of trying, I gave up and called Uber. Later that night, the Ascent started without an issue when I drove it to a meeting. I started the Ascent after the meeting, and everything was fine except that the trunk randomly popped open and would not close no matter what I did. We had to manually rope it closed to get back home. Parked it in the garage and shut it down (with trunk open). I then crawled into the back and popped one of the plastic covers to manually latch the trunk. No problems the next day. Then, two days later, we had a dead battery. Got a jump and then had no issues for the next four weeks.

Fast forward to today (Week #8 with the car). It started fine twice this morning. At lunch I went out to run an errand, and the car would not start when I came back out. I tried for 5 minutes, and it just wouldn't engage. Everything turned on but the engine wouldn't start. I called for Roadside Assistance, but Subaru said it would be an hour(!). [I think that is crazy, btw, in metro Washington, DC.] I hung up with Subaru, called my husband in frustration, and then decided to try one more time. Surprise-- the car just turned on with no issues! So I cancelled Roadside Assistance and drove home.

This seems insane for a 2 month old car. We're taking it in on Saturday, but has anyone experienced something similar? I am regretting trading in my 12 year old CRV, which never had any problems!!!
  1. AAA is considered one of the premier towing services in the nation and I assure you that a one hour wait is not unusual or inappropriate. In some instances they can come sooner but to assume they will pick you up right after your call is not realistic. Every location will have a similar experience.
  2. I am unclear as to why you would wait two months to bring it in to the dealer to have it checked out. The fact this problem was occurring intermittently does not change the fact it is not working as designed and therefore qualifies as a warranty repair.
  3. Have the dealer diagnose the issue while you are provided with a loaner.
  4. I assure you, you will not be getting a new car unless you trade it in (sell it outright and or buy another vehicle through a trade). Subaru will diagnose and repair the problem just like they are obligated to do.
  5. ALL manufacturers of vehicles have problems with their vehicles and they are all generally willing to diagnose and repair the fault under warranty, which is why the warranty exists.

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
It's hard to know anyting without even a battery load test, for starters.
There are all sorts of possible reasons for these symptoms. The battery load test certainly would be one of the first. A bad battery does not in my opinion diminish the overall value of a new vehicle purchase. In the scheme of things these symptoms will probably be very easy to determine the cause.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
  1. AAA is considered one of the premier towing services in the nation and I assure you that a one hour wait is not unusual or inappropriate. In some instances they can come sooner but to assume they will pick you up right after your call is not realistic. Every location will have a similar experience.
  2. I am unclear as to why you would wait two months to bring it in to the dealer to have it checked out. The fact this problem was occurring intermittently does not change the fact it is not working as designed and therefore qualifies as a warranty repair.
  3. Have the dealer diagnose the issue while you are provided with a loaner.
  4. I assure you, you will not be getting a new car unless you trade it in (sell it outright and or buy another vehicle through a trade). Subaru will diagnose and repair the problem just like they are obligated to do.
  5. ALL manufacturers of vehicles have problems with their vehicles and they are all generally willing to diagnose and repair the fault under warranty, which is why the warranty exists.
First, I do think an hour is a long time for Starlink to send help during non-rush hour in a major metropolitan area. We have AAA too and have never had to wait more than 30 minutes. I suspect that Subaru has a smaller network for garages that respond to calls than AAA, but that's just a reflection of the fact that their program may not be as good as advertised.

Second, we didn't wait 2 months to bring it in. The first issue happened 4 weeks ago. When we called Starlink, the guy gave us a jump and said that since it was a new car, it was still in its break-in period and weird things could happen. He told us not to worry about it unless we had another issue. Which we did yesterday and today. Its going back to the dealer tomorrow for a check-up, but I posted here to see if anyone had similar issues. I thought that was the point of this forum.

Third, while I appreciate that all cars can have issues, I do think that it is odd that a car that is less than 2 months old with 1300 miles is being this problematic. Maybe that seems normal to you, but it is odd to us for a car that we bought primarily because of the great reliability ratings in Consumer Reports. I would hope that Subaru will do more than just the minimum that they are legally required to do, but I guess we'll see tomorrow.

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
First, I do think an hour is a long time for Starlink to send help during non-rush hour in a major metropolitan area. We have AAA too and have never had to wait more than 30 minutes. I suspect that Subaru has a smaller network for garages that respond to calls than AAA, but that's just a reflection of the fact that their program may not be as good as advertised.

Second, we didn't wait 2 months to bring it in. The first issue happened 4 weeks ago. When we called Starlink, the guy gave us a jump and said that since it was a new car, it was still in its break-in period and weird things could happen. He told us not to worry about it unless we had another issue. Which we did yesterday and today. Its going back to the dealer tomorrow for a check-up, but I posted here to see if anyone had similar issues. I thought that was the point of this forum.

Third, while I appreciate that all cars can have issues, I do think that it is odd that a car that is less than 2 months old with 1300 miles is being this problematic. Maybe that seems normal to you, but it is odd to us for a car that we bought primarily because of the great reliability ratings in Consumer Reports. I would hope that Subaru will do more than just the minimum that they are legally required to do, but I guess we'll see tomorrow.
  1. On any particular day, tow trucks have variable availability to arrive within any given time frame. The network is probably smaller as I would expect but I think that if you want a tow sooner consider using AAA and maybe, no guarantees you will have a truck arrive 15 minutes sooner. I have lived in both rural and major metropolitan cities including NYC, Denver, Seattle, Portland and always used AAA. I have routinely had to wait up to an hour.
  2. May I suggest you no longer take mechanical advice form Starlink. They are not mechanics but rather facilitators. The break in period (this article is about boat engines but the same concepts are applicable to auto engines) has nothing to do with basic functions of a vehicle such as starting the engine.
  3. The fact it is a new vehicle only eliminates wear and tear issues for some time, not manufacturer defects. Subaru like all other manufacturers rely on thousands of independent manufacturers to fulfill their stringent technical specifications and quality control. Just like winning money off a scratch lottery ticket don't think that that is the norm. Most don't win money and most Ascent owners do not have your problem. One anecdotal data point is never reflective of the entire population of Ascents.
  4. You have not noted whether this is a push button start or started with a key.
  5. It is highly likely there is a simple fix.
  6. I am unclear as to what you believe is the minimum they are required to do. They are required to fix the problem, and they will. What else is there to do? What would you like them to do? What would you expect them to do?

·
Registered
1 Posts

On two occasions I have turned the car off, went out and came back to have the same thing happen. I don't know what causes this, but I just hit the push to start so it shut the accessories off, got out, shut the door and got back in after everything went dark, and it started. It's not just you.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Battery - got to at least eliminate it to know that the problem is elsewhere, but battery could be all of it, given the symptoms. If a jump start got you from zero crank to cranked/started, then (at least at that point) you had a low charge. Then you ran it, but maybe got in some cycles of shorter drives etc., and maybe with a battery that wasn't taking a charge 100% anymore, you got stranded a second time.

So, #1, have the dealership test the battery. I'd be surprised if it passes a load test.

I had some chancy starts after a few months, and the dealership tested and replaced my battery. No problems since.

F.S.

·
Administrator
10,968 Posts
First, I do think an hour is a long time for Starlink to send help during non-rush hour in a major metropolitan area.
I waited an hour and forty five minutes for AAA just a few miles away from you during non rush hour. It happens.

·
Registered
266 Posts
The key was in my pocket the entire time. I've actually never even tried to start it by Starlink!
One thing to try: put new batteries on your key fob. Also if it doesn't start, take the key fob out of your pocket. Not the Ascent but my other car key fob goes completely dark if I carry my cell phone in the same pocket. It's like the key fob isn't there.

·
Registered
270 Posts
I thought that was the point of this forum.
Greetings,

It is certainly one of the points. (There is a happier side as well.) From some of the replies, there are indeed some folks with similar experiences, it would seem.

Hopefully some of the replies are helpful for when you discuss it with the service techs. Perhaps it's just a battery issue, but that wouldn't explain why it went from "no" to "go." I wonder if the hatch popping open and not closing is related to the problems with starting.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts