Subaru Ascent Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if the roof rails can be removed? I have no use for them and I think it would give the truck a much sleeker look.

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
Does anyone know if the roof rails can be removed? I have no use for them and I think it would give the truck a much sleeker look.
Something like this

I keep pasting you tube video link but it does not show up. Search YouTube. The video will not be of ascent but it will be similar. Remove headliner and you will see bolts for rails. Careful of airbags etc.

·
Registered
2020 Ascent Touring
211 Posts
Of course to can remove them as long as you're prepared for the body work and repaint that will be needed to close the mounting holes. Seems like a long way around for a cosmetic improvement.

·
Super Moderator
7,404 Posts
Following Prinsu's instructions to install their Ascent rack will show you how to remove the factory roof rails. Like @Titanrx8 said, you'll have a bunch more work after that, especially if you like a dry interior. The mounting hardware goes through the rain channel, so, be aware you need to know what you're doing, because simply plugging the holes may create other issues, such as pooling water and the rust it may cause.

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
1,986 Posts
Yea, as much as I'd love for the roof rails to "go away" (I would have ordered the vehicle that way if it had been an option), Robert's cautions are spot on, and not just for the Ascent. Almost any vehicle with roof rails has them attached in a way that penetrates the body. What might be nice is for some aftermarket company to come up with a low-profile replacement that solves any water issues. But I suspect the market is small for that kind of thing...

·
Registered
165 Posts
It's interesting to me that the top model of the Outback, Premium in Canada, I think either comes with the option for the low profile rails, or comes with it standard. I would think that would be a nice offering on similar top end models like the Ascent. Alas it is not

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
Subaru stopped that in the Outback for MY20 with the introduction of the global platform, at least in the US relative to a "low profile"setup. For the few years prior to MY20, Outback Touring had the low profile (Euro) rails on the roof while the rest of the trims got the big, bulky black things.

·
Registered
57 Posts
The rails don't bother me, but they should have come with the cross bars, which are optional. It's kind of stupid to leave them out.

·
Registered
165 Posts
The rails don't bother me, but they should have come with the cross bars, which are optional. It's kind of stupid to leave them out.
Too many BETTER aftermarket options and designs. That would force the customer to buy and use the 'supplied' cross bars.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Too many BETTER aftermarket options and designs. That would force the customer to buy and use the 'supplied' cross bars.
If it came with them they would be included and the customer wouldn't have to buy them as an option.

·
Registered
165 Posts
If it came with them they would be included and the customer wouldn't have to buy them as an option.
Well its Not free so it would be built into the cost of the vehicle. Many owners would never use it and those that want cross bars likely want better ones.

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
While that would be true for some folks, it would not be true for others because there are multiple types and sizes of of roof rack cross bars, depending on the application. Many vehicle manufacturers do not include them with the vehicle for that reason. And for some customers...like me...it would be a waste to include them because I'll never use the roof rack. I prefer a utility trailer or a hitch-mounted carrier.

Reactions: gmatt1000

·
Super Moderator
7,404 Posts
I think you misunderstand the various differences in crossbars. Want a roof tent? Get the Aero Extended. Want a part time cargo box mount? Get the Aero. Need something for the Yakima side load kayak carrier? Get the Yakima extended. Etc, etc...

I have the regular Aero, because the Extended weren't available at the time of car purchase. At some point, I will need the Aero Extended for a big roof top tent.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts