Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a brand new Ascent and have experienced very poor gas mileage. I have discovered a hidden problem. The CV transmission refused to go to a higher gear on automatic thus keeping rpm's unnecessarily elevated cutting into mileage. The go around fix on the highway is to go to manual and lock into 8th gear which immediately jumped mileage 4-6miles per gallon (checked on mpg toggle). I believe this is a product of brand new and stiff? CVT transmission and will self cure. Give it a try on the highway and look at mpg on toggle guage. I suspect it could also be cured by Subaru flashing computer to address the problem.

This is my 4th Subaru and I have 20 years experience as multi unit auto franchise shop owner. I am definitely not a mechanic but defined my position as the problem solver of last resort.

·
Administrator
11,392 Posts
The CVT doesn't use the predefined gear ratios in normal drive mode. Cruising on flat ground at decent speed generally makes the CVT float between what would be 7th and 8th gear.

On flat drives, I find that I can sometimes beat the computer by using manual mode. With variances introduced, such as terrain or certain traffic, I find that the computer is better.

Perhaps they'll release an update that improves it a bit. Some people have reported that the recent TCM update does help.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts