Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't know if it's because I've never had a new car before but I am constantly noticing tiny (dime sized) dents on my car. I have a hard time believing that every time I go to the store someone is bumping my car. But, it seems like this car really dents very easily. Anyone else finding this to be an issue? I know there's a category regarding the liftgate, but I'm finding this all over the car.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Yes, I've read the same thing in the Crosstrek forums about how the body is easily dented. I figured it wouldn't be different with the Ascent. Mine is in the shop right now because of grass mowers at work. Whatever hit the side drivers door was sharp and big enough to dent and scratch the paint. Sometimes the corner spot isn't the best spot especially in the summer. The one time I drive the Ascent to work.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
4,578 Posts
A few days shy of one year and 18K miles in and I don't have even a single dent...

Reactions: carlover01

·
Registered
3,967 Posts
I don't know if it's because I've never had a new car before but I am constantly noticing tiny (dime sized) dents on my car. I have a hard time believing that every time I go to the store someone is bumping my car. But, it seems like this car really dents very easily. Anyone else finding this to be an issue? I know there's a category regarding the liftgate, but I'm finding this all over the car.
You can buy a dentless paint repair service contract. I bought one for my son's 2018 Impreza

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Premium
366 Posts
I've had my 2019 Ascent for two years without a single dent, not one, but now that I've responded to this post I'm sure that will change - thanks to the OP for that. On another note, I've heard others say that Subarus have thinner sheet metal than other vehicles, but this is my third Subaru, and I've noticed no increased propensity for Subarus, including the Ascent, to be more prone to dents versus other manufacturers' vehicles I've owned.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You can buy a dentless paint repair service contract. I bought one for my son's 2018 Impreza
Thanks, that's the first I've heard of that. I'll see if my local dealership offers that service plan.
I've had my 2019 Ascent for two years without a single dent, not one, but now that I've responded to this post I'm sure that will change - thanks to the OP for that. On another note, I've heard others say that Subarus have thinner sheet metal than other vehicles, but this is my third Subaru, and I've noticed no increased propensity for Subarus, including the Ascent, to be more prone to dents versus other manufacturers' vehicles I've owned.
I live in a rural location and park my car on a gravel parking lot for work everyday so maybe it's geographic and not the Ascent. I don't remember noticing it on my previous car but it was purchased used and I didn't pay as close of attention.

·
Registered
3,967 Posts
Thanks, that's the first I've heard of that. I'll see if my local dealership offers that service plan.

I live in a rural location and park my car on a gravel parking lot for work everyday so maybe it's geographic and not the Ascent. I don't remember noticing it on my previous car but it was purchased used and I didn't pay as close of attention.
Later this week I will try to remember to post the company's name it is with and some additional contract detail.

·
Registered
3,967 Posts

Permaplate Paintless Dent Repair service contract. You can purchase various terms. We purchased 5 years ($499) for my son so he would not have to think about it (his first car - I wish he maintained his room as well as his car). You need not buy a service contract to get the service and depending on the dent it need not be that expensive. It depends on how you roll with "peace of mind". I did not get one for the Ascent (although I might still consider it for hail damage, but I would need to read the fine print because there are some limitations with this type of damage).

If yo do go with them just make sure your contract is registered with them. They contract out with a network of actual repair shops.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
4,578 Posts
One thing to keep in mind...and this isn't Ascent specific because it's more widespread...is that more and more vehicle components, including some body panels are now aluminum to save weight. Hoods, for example, are trending toward aluminum for that reason. In certain conditions, these body panels may dent "easier", even though they are still strong construction. Some steel body components may also be lighter gage steel when it doesn't affect safety for the same reason and with the same effect.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Not a single dent yet on my 9 month old Ascent, but my previous Lexus accumulated an amazing amount of dents starting not long after I got it. IDK why. I never bothered getting them repaired and the last dent, delivered by a F350 running a red light at 40 mph, rendered them moot.

·
Registered
280 Posts
If the car was a little older and technically my daily driver rather than the wife's/family car, I wouldn't have bothered. Also, if the ding wasn't on the drivers door. I would have dealt with it, touched it up with some touchup paint and called it a day.

·
Registered
11 Posts
try to park away from other cars and avoid tight areas. also try to install side door protectors and scratch protectors when opening doors and bumpers.

·
Super Moderator
2,706 Posts
Mine will turn 2 in July with 30k on the odometer so far.
I wouldn’t necessarily say it has dents but there are areas on the doors where the sheet metal doesn’t seem as flat as it should be. It reminds me of the side of a big ship where you can kinda see the skeleton thru the outer hull. I notice it and it bothers me a little, but nothing is severe enough to warrant PDR.
I did bump the area between the door and the roof with my kayak once and left a nice dent. It came out with a PDR leaving only a slight imperfection if you look very closely.

·
Registered
5 Posts
My wife has a 2020 Outback and I have an Ascent and they both have picked up dings. I believe the metal is thinner gauge due to EPA gas mileage standards. Previously had a Toyota Sienna for almost 9 years and never had a ding - except from my daughter opening Mommy’s door into my front fender.

·
Registered
2020 Ascent Touring
1,276 Posts
Credit the increase in dings to the number of SUVs and pickups in the parking lots. When you factor the huge doors, especially the rear doors which have a curved edge and the space between the parked cars, it doesn't take much. Just watch kids getting out of the rear of an SUV or a parent removing a child in a portable car seat and you have a formula for dings. I try to find the biggest space and prefer parking next to minivans over SUVs and pickups. Never knowingly park next to two door like a Camaro either, those doors are even bigger.

Just traded in our 1999 Lexus RX300 which had a total of 4 dings, every one of them delivered by the rear doors of SUVs. You can tell by the location and how high they are.

·
Registered
3,967 Posts
The PDR service contract that I spoke of above has a hail clause that pays up to $1000 towards your deductable for an insurance hail damage claim for the term of the contract. If your auto insurance deductable is $1000 and you file a hail claim, the service contract will reimburse you that $1000. If your deductible is $500, the service contract will reimburse you that $500 and you would also be able to get reimbursed for another insurance claim if you need to occuring within the term of the service contract (my son has a five year term). The claim would be filed against your comprehensive.

·
Registered
82 Posts
This is a newer Subaru thing. I had a 2018 Outback and it attracted little dings and dents. Think they thinned the sheet metal out for costs and or weight savings.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts