Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Found a used with technology package and popular package 3a, ~2k miles, asking $38k. I see new ones priced at ~$40k but with less in them. Is it worth it to spend a couple grand more to get a new 2020?

·
Registered
151 Posts
With a difference of ~$2K, I would say yes. Simply for the piece of mind as you never really know the real history of a used car. Keep shopping around, you may be able to find a deal on a new car that closes the gap in price....

·
Registered
791 Posts
Email is your friend here. contact a lot of dealers and see what you can do for a best deal on a new one. Don't be afraid to propose an offer to a dealership, they might bite, especially toward the end of the year. However, if the used one at that price had a certified warranty, it might be worth considering.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Email is your friend here. contact a lot of dealers and see what you can do for a best deal on a new one. Don't be afraid to propose an offer to a dealership, they might bite, especially toward the end of the year. However, if the used one at that price had a certified warranty, it might be worth considering.
I have been emailing and getting quotes. Most are saying between $39k-$40k with similar packages/accessories installed. The vehicle is still under the original manufacturer's warranty with an in service date less than half a year. I can probably get an extended but I don't believe that would be a make or break decision with the used car.

edit:

I offered $37,000 for the used car and they didn't even give a counter offer and simply said no

·
Registered
791 Posts
Hopefully something will work out for you. I purchased mine the last week of 2018, ended up at about $41.5 on a loaded touring with an MSRP of just under $48k. This was in New England, a hotbed of Subaru loyalty.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Couple thoughts:

1. I would want to make sure that the used Ascent it is a CPO. The only reason for the dealer to not make it a CPO is that it is not qualified and then you should find out why.
2. For that small of a price difference I would go with new and make sure it is at least 2% under invoice. Lots of threads on how to do this. .

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hopefully something will work out for you. I purchased mine the last week of 2018, ended up at about $41.5 on a loaded touring with an MSRP of just under $48k. This was in New England, a hotbed of Subaru loyalty.
I wanted to get the touring but the wifey wanted an 8 seater so happy wife happy life....

I would prefer used because I don't want to pay for the mark up on a new car but I definitely want and hope to find a better difference than just $2k between a new and used. Maybe I should just go back to looking at 2019's

·
Registered
926 Posts
One advantage of Subarus (if you're selling a used one) is the higher resale value. A disadvantage of buying a used one is you don't get nearly the deal you will on other brands for used.

If I was buying a $20k car, $2k is a pretty big deal. On a $40k car, $2k isn't as big a deal.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.