Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this has been discussed to the point of overkill but I felt it needed a new thread due to some new information. I have many contacts at Subaru and I talked with one who had gone to the training for the new 2020 Ascents. They were told the new 2020 has the technology for Lane Centering but it is not activated. I took possesion of my 2020 Ascent Touring two weeks ago. I purchased it, and waited, because they had advertised Lane Centering and I was told at the dealership that it would have lane centering. Subaru employees were told, at the training, that the software would not be unlocked/updated for lane centering and that a new vehicle would have to be purchased in the coming years. I am fine with companies making decisions like this if they want, I am not ok with something being advertised, even if it is a mistake, and then taking it away if the technology is there. I would like to know how others think. I believe it is worth calling Subaru out on this since they had marketed it this way originally. I don't know if it will change anything, but maybe it would put pressure on them to update the software for the new 2020 owners.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Have you called Subaru (SOA) for actual, rather than anecdotal information? Seems odd since the new Subaru Outback which had a lot of driving reviews come out this week with reviewers driving pre-production models, show them using the lane centering. I can't imagine it being available on the 2020 Outback, but not on the 2020 Ascent, especially since it was noted in their marketing? You wrote: "Subaru employees were told, at the training, that the software would not be unlocked/updated for lane centering and that a new vehicle would have to be purchased in the coming years" What?? Sounds a bit fishy... Anyway, always go to the best source for information to get the scoop. In this case, it would be SOA (1-800-SUBARU3) or this: https: //www.subaru.com/customer-support.html. Good luck, let us know what they say.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So far I have sent an email. I don't expect that they are going to come out and admit to this to the public, nor do I think it is informaiton they really want out there. So yes it is anectotal at this point, but I don't think SOA is going to come out and confirm. I guess we will see if they respond.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I do know for a fact it is not active on the 2020 Ascent since I have had my car for over two weeks with only lane departure and the sales guy apologized and said, correctly, they were given different informaion in the beginning.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Every company is different in the way it handles dissatisfaction or complaints. I worked for a number of years for a company that was benchmarked for quality. Subaru is actually more responsive (in my opinion) than most other automakers. But you have to know how best to use their system. Here's how. Call them directly. Identify yourself as a new 2020 Ascent owner with a serious concern that you would like addressed. They will ask you for your VIN number (this is usually found on your insurance card, so you don't need to be by your car) and name and confirmation of address on file, etc. Simply explain that one of the reasons you purchased your Ascent was for the Lane Centering safety technology that you read about in their marketing that was supposed to be on the Ascent, yada, yada, yada. And ask them to open a ticket for your complaint. Now you're in the system! And should not be ignored. Your near term goal? Finding out what exactly is going on with the Lane Centering? On the way? Or not? When is it expected? Is your car prepped for it, etc? Also keep a record of each contact, including, date, time & person spoken to. Viola! So this is what you should do tomorrow morning. Let's start with this. :) Keep us up to date.

·
Registered
932 Posts
I’m expecting the ALC feature to become available for both the Ascent and Forester for the mid cycle refresh, which should be either MY2021 or MY2022.

And I’m very excited for it. It will make my 4AM drives to the airport much more convenient...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts