Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2020 ascent touring with 8123 miles on it. They just had to replace the brake pads for the 2nd time and resurface the rotors. Dealer said this is a known problem. Anyone else? If I'm going to have to replace the brake pads and/or rotors every 6k miles I'm trading the damn thing in. So frustrating

·
Registered
3,836 Posts
I have a 2020 ascent touring with 8123 miles on it. They just had to replace the brake pads for the 2nd time and resurface the rotors. Dealer said this is a known problem. Anyone else? If I'm going to have to replace the brake pads and/or rotors every 6k miles I'm trading the damn thing in. So frustrating
check your brake pad part number. I believe it should be 26296XC00C . If it is not, then they need to install the latest version. The pad versions were updated twice.
credit - Robert:

·
Registered
145 Posts
Good luck my friend. Been there and done that and still have problems. The new pad version only corrected the squeek noise...nothing else at least for me. It didn't fix the warped rotors or grinding noise and that's what I've been experiencing from the first day. SOA didn't help me with my problem with the brakes.

·
Registered
3,836 Posts
Good luck my friend. Been there and done that and still have problems. The new pad version only corrected the squeek noise...nothing else at least for me. It didn't fix the warped rotors or grinding noise and that's what I've been experiencing from the first day. SOA didn't help me with my problem with the brakes.
rotors are warranty item. if warped they should turn them or replace them along with pads. call soa

·
Registered
145 Posts
Problem is they, dealer and SOA think grinding breaks and vibrating is "normal for the Ascent". This is what my dealer told me and SOA told me directly. SOA doesn't test drive the car to verify what the car owner is experiencing, they go on what the dealer is telling them. So I have to either find a different dealer to fix it or just replace the rotors and brakes with something better than the OEM. Other than this, I love the car and wouldn't change anything else about it!

·
Registered
3,836 Posts
Problem is they, dealer and SOA think grinding breaks and vibrating is "normal for the Ascent". This is what my dealer told me and SOA told me directly. SOA doesn't test drive the car to verify what the car owner is experiencing, they go on what the dealer is telling them. So I have to either find a different dealer to fix it or just replace the rotors and brakes with something better than the OEM. Other than this, I love the car and wouldn't change anything else about it!
have they drove with you in a different Ascent to compare? If it is normal all of them should perform the same.

·
Registered
145 Posts
No but it seems that there is nothing else that they can do since they replaced the breaks, the rotors and then replaced the pads with the new design and resurfced the rotors....what else can they do, unless it's something else that is wrong. What do I know, but I do know it's NOT NORMAL. The dealer said they have had others who also complain about this issue and I just think they push the customer out the door with the "its normal". I plan on taking it to a different dealer to have them take a look. Not so confident in the place I take it to now.

It sounds like it's not all Ascents that have this issue but there are a lot that do.

·
Registered
3,836 Posts
No but it seems that there is nothing else that they can do since they replaced the breaks, the rotors and then replaced the pads with the new design and resurfced the rotors....what else can they do, unless it's something else that is wrong. What do I know, but I do know it's NOT NORMAL. The dealer said they have had others who also complain about this issue and I just think they push the customer out the door with the "its normal". I plan on taking it to a different dealer to have them take a look. Not so confident in the place I take it to now.

It sounds like it's not all Ascents that have this issue but there are a lot that do.
pm Robert

·
Registered
145 Posts
We did. Going to schedule a visit to another dealership in NJ, just can't get around to it yet. Robert has been a really big help and I will take his advice on this and everything else for that matter. Very knowledgeable! Thanks Robert, if you read this 👍

·
Registered
3,836 Posts
We did. Going to schedule a visit to another dealership in NJ, just can't get around to it yet. Robert has been a really big help and I will take his advice on this and everything else for that matter. Very knowledgeable! Thanks Robert, if you read this 👍
at this point the new dealer may need to start from scratch and replace both rotors and pads assuring the proper installation as well. The dealers would not tend to put their top tech on this warranty work, particularly brakes, so you will need to advocate for yourself.

·
Registered
2020 CWP Touring
1,256 Posts
I had our front pads replaced due to the noise, with the newest revision, and they're squeaking again. Our dealer claims they can't hear it. I will be making another appointment, but this is their last shot. It's just not worth my time to keep going back there.

We have at least one aftermarket company now making pads for the Ascent (PowerStop). And there are several aftermarket choices for rotors (like Centric -- I have Centric brakes on both of our other vehicles and have been happy with them). If our dealer doesn't fix our brakes again, I'm just going to go the aftermarket route. We really like the Ascent and it's not worth trading in when we can buy a set of brakes ourselves that would (should?) fix the problem for good. They do NOT appear to feature the same chamfer cuts that the newest version of the OE pads have, but that chamfer hasn't appeared to fix the problem...at least not in our case.

It's only a matter of time before the rest of the aftermarket starts printing front pads for us (Centric, Raybestos, etc.).

·
Registered
17 Posts
Having the same issues as you guys. It started with the front brakes squeaking when I came to a stop at around 4,800 miles, and with time it got worse. The dealer changed pads based on the bulletin from subaru, but the squeaking continued and an additional grinding became apparent as well.
I took it back to the dealer and they changed the rotors. That took care of the grinding sound but not the squeaking, so I went back to the dealer. This time they greased up the brakes and told me they were now good, but as I was pulling out of the dealer lot I heard the squeaking again... They asked me to wait about a month to see if the sound would go away.
It’s now been a month and half and it is still happening. I’ll be calling them again soon. It is frustrating that a 40k car has these issues. When we purchased the car the idea was to keep it past 200k miles, but I think we will trade it in before the warranty expires.

·
Registered
3,836 Posts
Having the same issues as you guys. It started with the front brakes squeaking when I came to a stop at around 4,800 miles, and with time it got worse. The dealer changed pads based on the bulletin from subaru, but the squeaking continued and an additional grinding became apparent as well.
I took it back to the dealer and they changed the rotors. That took care of the grinding sound but not the squeaking, so I went back to the dealer. This time they greased up the brakes and told me they were now good, but as I was pulling out of the dealer lot I heard the squeaking again... They asked me to wait about a month to see if the sound would go away.
It’s now been a month and half and it is still happening. I’ll be calling them again soon. It is frustrating that a 40k car has these issues. When we purchased the car the idea was to keep it past 200k miles, but I think we will trade it in before the warranty expires.
I suppose you will end up being a serial trader because all vehicles will have these minor problems that will need warranty attention. This includes vehicles much more expensive than the Ascent. You have a right for your brakes to operate properly and should have the dealer address the problem, even if they have to replace both rotors and pads at the same time. I wonder about the comment, the dealer now greased up the pads and they are fine. Those pads should have been lubricated per installation instructions when initially installed. Were they not? The possibility exists that the pads are not seating properly since they did not install both new rotors and pads at the same time. I would bring it in for the warranty work and get a Ascent loaner. I would tell them to fix it properly and they should make sure the symptoms are gone by driving it before handing it back to you. If they hand it back to you and it still grinds and/or squeaks I would march into the service managers office and insist they make it right and you will keep driving their loaner until they do so. I would further tell them that if they waste your time again by bringing you back saying it is fixed when it is not then you will never bring a vehicle for service into them again, you will never buy a vehicle from them and you will complain to SOA. I would also document this experience with SOA. It is time these service departments become accountable for their work.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I suppose you will end up being a serial trader because all vehicles will have these minor problems that will need warranty attention. This includes vehicles much more expensive than the Ascent. You have a right for your brakes to operate properly and should have the dealer address the problem, even if they have to replace both rotors and pads at the same time. I wonder about the comment, the dealer now greased up the pads and they are fine. Those pads should have been lubricated per installation instructions when initially installed. Were they not? The possibility exists that the pads are not seating properly since they did not install both new rotors and pads at the same time. I would bring it in for the warranty work and get a Ascent loaner. I would tell them to fix it properly and they should make sure the symptoms are gone by driving it before handing it back to you. If they hand it back to you and it still grinds and/or squeaks I would march into the service managers office and insist they make it right and you will keep driving their loaner until they do so. I would further tell them that if they waste your time again by bringing you back saying it is fixed when it is not then you will never bring a vehicle for service into them again, you will never buy a vehicle from them and you will complain to SOA. I would also document this experience with SOA. It is time these service departments become accountable for their work.
Like I mentioned, the plan was to keep the car till it hit 200k so I don’t believe I’ll become a serial trader. In fact, I kept my Toyota Corolla for 10 years and had 190k before trading it in for the Ascent (growing family). We have had my wife’s civic for 8 years and will keep it until we need to trade it in. The lesson I have learned with the Ascent is to not purchase the first generation of a new vehicle, and wait for the quirks to be worked out.
My reasoning for trading before the warranty expires is not based on the brakes alone, but on the countless issues the ascent is having with its transmission. And these issues are becoming more common, as can be seen by the number of threads on this website about brakes, and also the reliability rating of the car on Consumer Reports. When the car came out Consumer Reports gave it a rating of 93 of 100, the following year it got an 86, and today it has a 60. This drop in ratings is due to its reliability, they don’t even recommend people purchase the car. So this is why I’ll be trading it in before warranty, I don’t want to pay $6,000-$8,000 to replace the transmission, which is what people have been quoted at dealers once it is out of warranty. That’s definitely not a “minor problem”.

·
Registered
3,836 Posts
Like I mentioned, the plan was to keep the car till it hit 200k so I don’t believe I’ll become a serial trader. In fact, I kept my Toyota Corolla for 10 years and had 190k before trading it in for the Ascent (growing family). We have had my wife’s civic for 8 years and will keep it until we need to trade it in. The lesson I have learned with the Ascent is to not purchase the first generation of a new vehicle, and wait for the quirks to be worked out.
My reasoning for trading before the warranty expires is not based on the brakes alone, but on the countless issues the ascent is having with its transmission. And these issues are becoming more common, as can be seen by the number of threads on this website about brakes, and also the reliability rating of the car on Consumer Reports. When the car came out Consumer Reports gave it a rating of 93 of 100, the following year it got an 86, and today it has a 60. This drop in ratings is due to its reliability, they don’t even recommend people purchase the car. So this is why I’ll be trading it in before warranty, I don’t want to pay $6,000-$8,000 to replace the transmission, which is what people have been quoted at dealers once it is out of warranty. That’s definitely not a “minor problem”.
I still don't get it. You say the plan is to trade it in prior to the end of warranty so you do not have to deal with all the issues you have heard about this first generation vehicle. You specifically note the transmission , when in fact there is zero documented problem with the transmission. The problem was with the wiring harness that if not addressed early on sometimes caused the transmission to go bad. Again, nothing wrong with the transmission which in of itself is not a new design. At some point, Subaru figured out that the problem was the wiring harness and they changed the design that has proven to work great. Anyone with transmission problems has been taken care of at no cost to the owner. The brakes as with any component supplied by another company will always have a percentage of production defects. I would not classify this as a quirk. There is not one model of any manufacturer that does not have its share of component problems at one point or another...none. All you would need to do is read the NHSTA site for issues with other brands and models over the years to recognize this. As vehicles become more complex each year we will all find ourselves even more in this condition. This is beacuse we not only want reliability, but we demand feature innovation and way more than simple means of transportation. IMO, I think your best bet is to adjust your expectations for vehicles whether it be Subaru Ascent or any other brand or model. What you choose is in your hands and I have no stake in your decision. I am happy with my Ascent even though I had the harness et al warranty items taken care of (my trans was fine). Also we must remember that dealers are independent of Subaru. The service departments occupy the full range of competencies. You will get what you demand and allow for. CR is one data point among many. They have their methods and limitations as well as their benefits.

If you can recall the heavy rotary dial phones. They never broke but they were featureless. As more features were added, guess what, they did not last as long. Now we focus on the vehicle add-ons conveniences and features because we think it should just drive. Well, it is a rolling computer and we all know how reliable computers and their software integration are...NOT. Oh yeah, we also want our cars to be able to navigate terrain like a tank but provide more comfort of course with the sound of Carnegie Hall. Our seats should somehow be easy to clean and create the perfect environment for all body shapes and sizes to the exact temperature the individual in each seat wants. All while protecting ourselves from others traveling around us within 10' at 70 miles per hour. Doing this while accessing the world through the internet. All of this requires modern sensors and relay integration through controllers. So now even just the driving part requires the other pieces to be working perfectly, otherwise the big brain is not happy and shows you its Christmas lights. Unfortunately, we must all get used to this reality.

In any case, good luck with your brake repair and your transportation choices.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I’m comparing my experience with our other cars to one we are currently having with the Ascent. I realize that every model car will have issues but I guess we have been lucky and haven’t had issues with our past Corolla, Civic, and Outback. I guess that’s where our expectations come from. Our take on the Ascent is that we don’t trust it will hold up the amount of time we were hoping for.

Right now there are probably few Ascents with more than 100k miles since it’s a new car, so we don’t have many data points to draw from. I may be totally wrong and the majority of Ascents will last as long as the Outbacks and Foresters. We love subaru and I grew up on a 2001 outback that my parents got rid of just last year. The reason we got a Subaru is because we wanted a car that would last to 200k, and it is certainly possible that our Ascent can get there. However, for us there are signs that worry us about its long term reliability and would rather not keep it past it’s warranty.

We love the car for the most part and our dealer has been friendly throughout the process so no complaints there.

·
Registered
3,836 Posts
I’m comparing my experience with our other cars to one we are currently having with the Ascent. I realize that every model car will have issues but I guess we have been lucky and haven’t had issues with our past Corolla, Civic, and Outback. I guess that’s where our expectations come from. Our take on the Ascent is that we don’t trust it will hold up the amount of time we were hoping for.

Right now there are probably few Ascents with more than 100k miles since it’s a new car, so we don’t have many data points to draw from. I may be totally wrong and the majority of Ascents will last as long as the Outbacks and Foresters. We love subaru and I grew up on a 2001 outback that my parents got rid of just last year. The reason we got a Subaru is because we wanted a car that would last to 200k, and it is certainly possible that our Ascent can get there. However, for us there are signs that worry us about its long term reliability and would rather not keep it past it’s warranty.

We love the car for the most part and our dealer has been friendly throughout the process so no complaints there.
2001 outback. four recalls and 170 manufacturer complaints.

We must also consider that the technology in any 2001 versus 2021 pales in comparison. You are not comparing apples with apples. My Ascent replaced a 23 year old vehicle that had no technology. A bit upgrade from wagon wheels, but it lasted for just under 300, 000 miles.

Your 2001 family outback did not have Eyesight which did not even come into existence until 2008, let alone lane keep assist or lane centering, or ABS brakes, or digital display or remote start, or large towing capacity, or electronic steering, or panoramic roof, or compatibility with smart phones for hands free operation, voice commands, steering wheel commands, turbo engine, improved fuel mileage, reduced carbon emissions, increased power, improved comfort, automatic braking and of course what we do without all those cup holders?
outback:
  • 4-spd auto w/OD Transmission
  • 1st row regular power sliding and tilting glass Sunroof
  • 16" silver w/gold accents aluminum Wheels
  • driver and front passenger heated-cushion, heated-seatback Heated front seats
  • Heated mirrors
  • leather Seat trim

• safety features of 2001 outback:

• Anti-lock brakes
    ABS brakes automatically sense when a tire has stopped rotating under extreme braking, and will modulate the brake pressure to allow the tire to rotate. This increases the vehicles ability to turn while braking.
    Front-impact airbags
    Front-impact airbags for the driver and passenger have been designed to protect the head during a frontal crash.
    Side impact airbags
    Side impact airbags for the front seats have been designed to protect the torso during a side impact collision
    Pretensioners
    Seatbelt pretensioners automatically tighten seatbelts to place the occupant in the optimal seating position during a collision.

·
Registered
17 Posts
2001 outback. four recalls and 170 manufacturer complaints.

We must also consider that the technology in any 2001 versus 2021 pales in comparison. You are not comparing apples with apples. My Ascent replaced a 23 year old vehicle that had no technology. A bit upgrade from wagon wheels, but it lasted for just under 300, 000 miles.

Your 2001 family outback did not have Eyesight which did not even come into existence until 2008, let alone lane keep assist or lane centering, or ABS brakes, or digital display or remote start, or large towing capacity, or electronic steering, or panoramic roof, or compatibility with smart phones for hands free operation, voice commands, steering wheel commands, turbo engine, improved fuel mileage, reduced carbon emissions, increased power, improved comfort, automatic braking and of course what we do without all those cup holders?
outback:
  • 4-spd auto w/OD Transmission
  • 1st row regular power sliding and tilting glass Sunroof
  • 16" silver w/gold accents aluminum Wheels
  • driver and front passenger heated-cushion, heated-seatback Heated front seats
  • Heated mirrors
  • leather Seat trim

• safety features of 2001 outback:

• Anti-lock brakes
    ABS brakes automatically sense when a tire has stopped rotating under extreme braking, and will modulate the brake pressure to allow the tire to rotate. This increases the vehicles ability to turn while braking.
    Front-impact airbags
    Front-impact airbags for the driver and passenger have been designed to protect the head during a frontal crash.
    Side impact airbags
    Side impact airbags for the front seats have been designed to protect the torso during a side impact collision
    Pretensioners
    Seatbelt pretensioners automatically tighten seatbelts to place the occupant in the optimal seating position during a collision.

I hear you on comparing apples to apples. Cars today do have significantly more tech than even 5-10 years ago. In any case our trust in the car is not what we hoped for. Of course many will disagree.

I ended up going to NHTSA website and the 2001 Outback’s 4 recalls and 170 complaints in 20 years seems pretty good compared to the 2019 Ascent. It has 5 recalls and 218 complaints in three years.

Anyway, we will enjoy the Ascent until its warranty expires. We really do love it!

1 - 20 of 55 Posts