Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ON Our 2020 Ascent all warning lights keep coming on. Subaru changed out a transmission pressure sensor and it did not fix the issue. When all warning lights come on none of the safety features work, crusecontrol does not work.

·
Registered
62 Posts
When the computer detects a fault, it turns all those features off, including cruise control.

You'll need the dealer to read the code and figure out what the problem is. Sounds like they got one code, but there might be another code now...

This is frustrating with a new car, for sure!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You are correct Its getting beyond frustrating, I normally purchase GMC Buick Enclave, drove the 2020 Ascent and just loved it and now this. All I ever heard is how wonderful Subaru's are and I end up with a lemon. I hope El Paso Tx has a lemon law!

·
Registered
15 Posts
I hope the Dealer determines it is a simple fix. I have not heard of this type of issue. The lemon laws are in your documentation package for the car. I am in Texas as well and our state lemon rules are worse than others (pro business state). Cars today have so much tech. Again, hope it is simple.

·
Registered
261 Posts
I've experienced during heavy rain that eyesight and all associated systems shut down because the system can't see. Once the heavy rain clears up, the systems come back online. Not sure if this is the same situation...but I've experienced this.

·
Registered
2020 Ascent Limited
8 Posts
Thought I’d post my experience (on-going) with this issue as I have stumbled upon this forum after searching the symptoms.

We have had our 2020 Ascent Limited a little over 2 months (delivery on June 20th direct from factory). No issues up to this point except the battery having discharge at the terminals. The vehicle has 4,733 miles.

But today, Sept 1st, 2020, upon my wife turning the vehicle on after work, the engine turned over and all the dashboard lights turned on and stayed solid. The Subaru service shop told me to either drive it in, or have it towed. Since it was 49 miles, I decided to have it towed. The tow truck is in route now and the service shop is closed so I will be posting updates on what the service coordinator says tomorrow.

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
Thought I’d post my experience (on-going) with this issue as I have stumbled upon this forum after searching the symptoms.

We have had our 2020 Ascent Limited a little over 2 months (delivery on June 20th direct from CA factory). No issues up to this point except the battery having discharge at the terminals. The vehicle has 4,733 miles.

But today, Sept 1st, 2020, upon my wife turning the vehicle on after work, the engine turned over and all the dashboard lights turned on and stayed solid. The Subaru service shop told me to either drive it in, or have it towed. Since it was 49 miles, I decided to have it towed. The tow truck is in route now and the service shop is closed so I will be posting updates on what the service coordinator says tomorrow.

I have to say that it is rather discouraging that this has been a known issue for the last two years.
There is no CA factory

·
Administrator
10,987 Posts

We have had our 2020 Ascent Limited a little over 2 months (delivery on June 20th direct from factory). No issues up to this point except the battery having discharge at the terminals. The vehicle has 4,733 miles.

I have to say that it is rather discouraging that this has been a known issue for the last two years.
There is no such known issue. Hoping they figure out what your issue is.

·
Registered
2020 Ascent Limited
8 Posts
There is no such known issue. Hoping they figure out what your issue is.
I was referring to the other forum posts that date back to 2018 where it was determined that the issue was due to a batch of faulty parts. You’re right, I don’t know my diagnosis (tripped codes, etc), but the theme appears to be faulty parts from vendors. I will post back with results from dealer.

·
Administrator
10,987 Posts
I was referring to the other forum posts that date back to 2018 where it was determined that the issue was due to a batch of faulty parts. You’re right, I don’t know my diagnosis (tripped codes, etc), but the theme appears to be faulty parts from vendors. I will post back with results from dealer.
There is no such plethora of forum post showing a batch of faulty parts causing this. There was no batch of parts that caused this. The most common cause of this is a loose gas cap.

·
Registered
2020 Ascent Limited
8 Posts
There is no such plethora of forum post showing a batch of faulty parts causing this. There was no batch of parts that caused this. The most common cause of this is a loose gas cap.
My info of faulty parts came from you on this forum on roughly page 3 (All dash lights came on). If you read all 75+ posts, you’ll see a common theme of people experiencing issues with the valve body, CVT harness, and the CVT itself. Again, I don’t know my cars diagnosis yet, but if it turns out to be one of these, then my statement holds. Which is that SOA has known about this issue since 2018 and it would appear to still be a problem.

·
Administrator
10,987 Posts
I'm sorry, but you've misread that thread to a large extent. I will address your misunderstandings, one by one.

• 2019 Subaru Ascents had a harness that had a connector made of two different metals. On a very few 2019 Ascents (under 2%), the connectors oxidized. Subaru already addressed this via a recall. None of this is related to your 2020 Subaru Ascent, which does not have that harness.
  • Less than a handful of people in this forum experienced valve body problems.
  • One person in this forum may have experienced a problem that was exclusive to the CVT.
I understand your desire to figure out what went wrong with your Ascent, and I sympathize with you. But, please, slow down and read more thoroughly, before you make more unfounded accusations. ESPECIALLY when you're misquoting me.

You're conflating multiple separate unrelated things into one. All dash lights come on for almost any issue whatsoever, because Subaru's Assistive Systems will not run if there's an error someplace else. Hence, as I said earlier, a loose gas cap will cause the dash to light up.

My info of faulty parts came from you on this forum on roughly page 3 (All dash lights came on). If you read all 75+ posts, you’ll see a common theme of people experiencing issues with the valve body, CVT harness, and the CVT itself. Again, I don’t know my cars diagnosis yet, but if it turns out to be one of these, then my statement holds. Which is that SOA has known about this issue since 2018 and it would appear to still be a problem.

·
Registered
2020 Ascent Limited
8 Posts
Never said that I quoted you specifically, just stating where I read the information.

If it will make you happy, I will remove my “unfounded accusations.”

·
Administrator
10,987 Posts
Your "unfounded accusations" neither make me happy nor sad. If you read through the thread, at your leisure, and fully ingest what is stated in that thread and the rest of this forum, you will realize your accusations are not based on what's actually said. You can choose to delete or keep your accusation when you come to that realization. Your choice.

It's quite understandable you're upset that your dash lit up. You'll find this is a forum full of people willing to help. Describing any symptoms that led up to it (if there were any) or simply asking what's up with a more detailed description or image of what's happening with your dash would garner a number of people trying to help.

It's an interesting thing I learned about the Subaru community... it's a really helpful community.

So, how you proceed is up to you. You now at least hopefully have the comfort of knowing there's no mass-problem that your car is affected by (and if not, as I suggested, perhaps read through the threads at your leisure, at which point you will come to that conclusion).

Let's see what happens with the dealership... or, post some pics if you managed to take them, and we can perhaps give some insight.

With luck, it was a loose gas cap.

Never said that I quoted you specifically, just stating where I read the information.

If it will make you happy, I will remove my “unfounded accusations.”
You misremember what you said...
My info of faulty parts came from you
...no worries. I understand you're upset. And there's a LOT to take in, in this massive forum.

·
Registered
2020 Ascent Limited
8 Posts
I understood that the Subaru Community is helpful, which is why my post has only garnered critiques on why it’s wrong.

I read the thread thoroughly twice now. And one can come away with the conclusion that a handful of people had an array of issues that resulted in the CEL coming on for the most part at less than 5k miles. My frustration mostly stems from, if this is a transmission issue, then I will have had the worst luck with transmissions in the past 10 years. Meaning that this will be my 5th vehicle and 7th transmission “going bad”. So yes, my accusation may be unfounded, but you can imagine my blood curdling reading that brand new ascents were having CVT issues. So going forward, I will attempt to remove any emotion or human element to my posts. Peace

Spoiler alert: gas cap is on tight, I checked while it was on the tow truck.

Your "unfounded accusations" neither make me happy nor sad. If you read through the thread, at your leisure, and fully ingest what is stated in that thread and the rest of this forum, you will realize your accusations are not based on what's actually said. You can choose to delete or keep your accusation when you come to that realization. Your choice.

It's quite understandable you're upset that your dash lit up. You'll find this is a forum full of people willing to help. Describing any symptoms that led up to it (if there were any) or simply asking what's up with a more detailed description or image of what's happening with your dash would garner a number of people trying to help.

It's an interesting thing I learned about the Subaru community... it's a really helpful community.

So, how you proceed is up to you. You now at least hopefully have the comfort of knowing there's no mass-problem that your car is affected by (and if not, as I suggested, perhaps read through the threads at your leisure, at which point you will come to that conclusion).

Let's see what happens with the dealership... or, post some pics if you managed to take them, and we can perhaps give some insight.

With luck, it was a loose gas cap.

·
Administrator
10,987 Posts
Sorry, I thought I'd explained that. There was never a transmission issue. The TR690 is an 11 year old design with an amazing track record. The problem pertained to the harnesses in 2019 models. If that harness failed, it would cause the CVT to not properly regulate variator cone pressure, causing the chain to slip. That fault isn't in the CVT - it's just doing what it's told. It's like if you have a power surge at home, and your surge protector lets it go through and your TV blows up, your TV isn't at fault. ;)

You have a 2020 Ascent. It does not have that harness. It has the new harness that hasn't had any issues.

Even for those who did have that harness, problems were ridiculously rare. Literally 75% of every post about it in this forum are by ONE person and those responding to that person.

So, hopefully that will help.

BTW, I still have my original 2019 harness, in my Ascent. My Ascent is a first batch Ascent, in the first 1,800 production Ascents built. It's seen almost 63,000 very brutal miles, often submerged in mud, water and slime, and my CVT has been abused towing a trailer that weighs as much as the Ascent when it's not off roading all over the country.

So... I wouldn't worry about your CVT. I'm not worrying about mine.

I understood that the Subaru Community is helpful, which is why my post has only garnered critiques on why it’s wrong.

I read the thread thoroughly twice now. And one can come away with the conclusion that a handful of people had an array of issues that resulted in the CEL coming on for the most part at less than 5k miles. My frustration mostly stems from, if this is a transmission issue, then I will have had the worst luck with transmissions in the past 10 years. Meaning that this will be my 5th vehicle and 7th transmission “going bad”. So yes, my accusation may be unfounded, but you can imagine my blood curdling reading that brand new ascents were having CVT issues. So going forward, I will attempt to remove any emotion or human element to my posts. Peace

Spoiler alert: gas cap is on tight, I checked while it was on the tow truck.

·
Registered
2020 Ascent Limited
8 Posts
Turns out my issue was the blind spot monitor sensor went bad.

Sorry, I thought I'd explained that. There was never a transmission issue. The TR690 is an 11 year old design with an amazing track record. The problem pertained to the harnesses in 2019 models. If that harness failed, it would cause the CVT to not properly regulate variator cone pressure, causing the chain to slip. That fault isn't in the CVT - it's just doing what it's told. It's like if you have a power surge at home, and your surge protector lets it go through and your TV blows up, your TV isn't at fault. ;)

You have a 2020 Ascent. It does not have that harness. It has the new harness that hasn't had any issues.

Even for those who did have that harness, problems were ridiculously rare. Literally 75% of every post about it in this forum are by ONE person and those responding to that person.

So, hopefully that will help.

BTW, I still have my original 2019 harness, in my Ascent. My Ascent is a first batch Ascent, in the first 1,800 production Ascents built. It's seen almost 63,000 very brutal miles, often submerged in mud, water and slime, and my CVT has been abused towing a trailer that weighs as much as the Ascent when it's not off roading all over the country.

So... I wouldn't worry about your CVT. I'm not worrying about mine.

View attachment 5093

1 - 20 of 29 Posts