Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, the wife and I need a larger vehicle for our baby, two dogs, and any other passengers. As both Subaru owners, we thought the Ascent was the logical choice. I like the familiarity and ability to do some of my own maintenance. However, there's the CVT issue, which I've been reading about.

My local dealership has two 2019 Touring models (1000 miles or 3000 miles) for $41k. Both vehicles have had the ECU and transmission recall services performed.

My question is: does the recall service fix the CVT issues for good, or should I opt for the 2020 model?

Thanks

PS, if this question is answered somewhere else in the forums, please kindly provide the link.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
3,828 Posts
The "CVT" didn't have an issue...the wiring harness on some did which in turn could cause a failure in the actual transmission. The CVT isn't new and has been in use for ten years by Subaru. So if the recalls were done, you should be fine and to find MY19 Touring with such low miles is nice. There is much discussion on the recalls in the Recall area of the forum site. However, the price they are offering is "less nice" since you can generally get that kind of a deal on a brand new MY20 and MY21 is only a few months away.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The "CVT" didn't have an issue...the wiring harness on some did which in turn could cause a failure in the actual transmission. The CVT isn't new and has been in use for ten years by Subaru. So if the recalls were done, you should be fine and to find MY19 Touring with such low miles is nice. There is much discussion on the recalls in the Recall area of the forum site. However, the price they are offering is "less nice" since you can generally get that kind of a deal on a brand new MY20 and MY21 is only a few months away.
Thanks for your reply and for filling me in about the wiring harness.

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
...if the recalls were done, you should be fine...
As far as I know, that's unknown. The recall tests for current CVT slip, then updates the TCU. Due to the nature of the defect, a harness can go bad over time (in essence, an electrical connection can get corroded). We don't know what that TCU update accomplishes with regard to stopping or mitigating a future harness problem. It may simply throw an error if the transmission slips, which is little consolation.

There is a recent post by a member of this forum who had his transmission start slipping after he had the recall performed.

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
IMO, saying it's not a transmission failure is mincing words. Personally, if any necessary component of a transmission failed such that the transmission was damaged to the point it needed replacing, I'd call that a transmission failure. It could be bearing that went bad, a gear that broke, shift fork that bent, etc. If any of those failed, the transmission failed. In the case of this CVT, it isn't a functional transmission without a working harness. The harness goes bad and the transmission needs to be replaced. I'd call that a transmission failure.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
3,828 Posts
Let me rephrase...if the recalls were done, it's less likely that there will be an issue and the harness issue wasn't universal. For the OP's situation, the price would be a turnoff for me, as noted.

·
Administrator
10,943 Posts
As far as I know, that's unknown. The recall tests for current CVT slip, then updates the TCU
No, it also tests for out of spec data through the harness, to a higher than normal tolerance level. The actual test procedure is detailed in the shop test procedures in a combination of the TSB and the TR690 service manuals. The NHTSA recall summary does not accurately or completely reflect the extent of the tests or procedures, as (1) it's not required to do more than summarize, and (2) to fully reflect it all would require also including a chunk of the TR690 service manual.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts