Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ordered a. 2019 Ascent Touring about a month after delivery began to get a strong RAW fuel smell in garage after the vehicle had been driven . Smell was noticeable after 20 min or so , Vehicle has been at dealer twice for this and is STILL there .( Servie Manager is now taking the vehicle home after work to try to duplicate the isssue) They haven’t been able to find anything . Need some HELP on this one!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Ordered a. 2019 Ascent Touring about a month after delivery began to get a strong RAW fuel smell in garage after the vehicle had been driven . Smell was noticeable after 20 min or so , Vehicle has been at dealer twice for this and is STILL there .( Servie Manager is now taking the vehicle home after work to try to duplicate the isssue) They haven’t been able to find anything . Need some HELP on this one!
There is another tread in this forum regarding oil level above full mark with oil smelling of gasoline. It has also been mentioned that one or more owners has experienced gasoline odor coming out of vents.

I suggest you check your oil level to see if the gasoline is also accumulating in your oil.

I am also experiencing high oil level with slight gas smell, odor from vents, and occassional gasoline smell in garage. I have a service appointment next Monday and have been watching the forum for others to weigh in on the problem.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Similar Problem - Gas Smell

I have a 2019 Ascent with about 1,700 miles. A few weeks ago I started noticing a notable gasoline smell in the garage. At first, it was alarming, but thought it was just an isolated incident. I do not store any other gasoline equipment (lawn mowers) and have now determined its coming from the Ascent (not our Outback, through trial and error). Similar situation to above. I don't seem to smell it while driving, however roughly 10-15 minutes after parking in the garage (and shutting the door) it's quite noticeable. Can't seem to isolate it to any certain spot (under hood, under car, etc.). I also haven't seen any puddling (smell clears out after moving car outside). Took it to my purchasing dealer today, who brushed me off and reluctantly agreed to take a look. After about 30 minutes came back and said there was nothing wrong. I was kind of expecting that based on his initial response. Brough it home, parked in the garage and sure enough could smell it again after about 15 minutes.

Called another dealer this afternoon, who believe they had one other customer bring in an Ascent in the last 6 months with a similar problem. He didn't know the fix, but knew of some issue they repaired. Only problem is they are going to be keeping the car for an extended time.

I will be checking back on this thread, so hopefully someone has a positive outcome. If anyone has any details, I would love to take it to the dealer to give them a head start. Thanks all.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I've posted on other threads in this forum and having the same issue with our Touring. About a month after ownership we started having the raw fuel smell in garage and it comes through the vents also when idling.

We have an ongoing case with SOA and the car has been to the dealer on and off for 4 weeks in the last two months. Right now we are driving the car with computer equipment under the driver seat that is recording from the ECM.

Please do yourself and all of us with this issue a favor and contact Subaru of America 800-SUBARU3 and demand a case be opened on your vehicle for this potentially serious issue.

·
Registered
14 Posts

I did confirm the car has high oil level and the oil smells like gas. This is at 1,800 miles. I couldn't note any performance issues yet or check engine lights on. I will try and provide an update if they determine what is going on...

·
Registered
14 Posts

Well...dealer drained the oil back to the normal level and said tech didn't noticed oil/gas separation in the drainage. They thought the gas smell was due to the overfill. Came home and parked it the garage and still getting the smell. Will run it tomorrow on a longer trip and see if that helps or not. I'm guessing my problems are only starting. At least now I can point to the oil level and smell in the oil as a non-debated able symptom. I will keep you updated to my findings. Thanks all.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Case Started

Called and started case today. Drove it about an hour today, gas smell was as strong as ever in the garage. Had to move it back outside.

·
Registered
24 Posts
So there are 4 of us in this thread with the exact same symptoms; Gas smell and rising oil level. Everyone, including those just reading these posts and experiencing this issue, needs to open a case with Subaru of America 800-SUBARU3 if we hope to get a resolution.

I've posted above in this thread our current situation having to be a test mule with recording equipment in the car. We were asked to drive 1,200 miles like this, but we are getting tired of smelling gas through the vents and in the garage where the car is parked. Thinking of taking the car back before the miles are up this week. Will keep updates on this forum as things progress.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 2019 Ascent, it also has a oil like smell when sitting and idling fo a little while sometimes at a long stop light minute or two, feel like eyes burning and a slight headache at times. I checked the car over and didn’t fine any leaks at all and made sure oil level was in the middle of marks, getting to be a real problem, any ideas??

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So just an update on my 2019 Ascent Touring has been at the dealer for the last 3 weeks regarding the RAW fuel smell that fills my garage after driving. Service manager has taken vehicle home on a couple of occasions but can not duplicate the problem. They said they have smoke tested it and nothing! After reading this forum I mentioned if they had checked the oil for any fuel -was initially told they had and everything was fine - The next day The Service Manager called me back and said he did smell some fuel in oil and attributed it to the vehicle still being in the break-in stage (5,700 miles on it) So they did a “Complimentary “ oil change to see if that was the issue- I Since have opened a case with Subaru Of America and was told by SAM BROWN ( Senior Representative of Subaru Of America) that there is NOTHING WRONG with the vehicle and the have done every test possible and have gone ABOVE and BEYOND and are NOT determining an issue at all with this vehicle AND it is perfectly safe to drive. Ms BROWN also stated my case was the ONLY recorded complaint regarding the RAW FUEL smell. This is ABSOLUTELY ridiculous! NOW they are replacing the radio because THAT isn’t working either!

·
Registered
63 Posts
Add me to the list. I experience the same thing with my Touring. I'm only at 2080 miles on the odometer. Received it from the factory in November 2018.

·
Registered
19 Posts
My oil is over-filled and I smell raw gas from time to time. I'm curious if anybody has send their oil for used oil analysis? Mileage is ~3500.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
UPDATE
Picked up the vehicle today from the dealer parked it in the garage and twenty min later - Garage was filled with gas/oil fumes. Checked the oil which was JUST changed by the dealer and the oil level was 5/8” OVER full mark and smelled of fuel. Called Service manager who came to my home and VERIFIED the fuel smell in the garage and on the dipstick as well as the oil level which THEY had JUST a changed! I bought this vehicle based on Subaru’s reputation for quality, safety and customer service . After 4 weeks of pretty much ME ( this forum) doing ALL the investigative work on this problem I am Not a Happy Customer - Dealer Again has MY Ascent STAY TUNED for Subaru’s response!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Ascent

I have been having some of the same problem with gas on oil smell, Called dealer, Said this is the first he has heard of this, And that he would get back to me.... HUN nothing yet, He was going to check to see if there are any bulletins, Subaru dealer in Appleton Wi.:headbang:' I miss my OutBack

·
Registered
1 Posts
I really appreciate this forum and this thread. It validates my experience exactly. I have an Ascent with 7k miles and have been smelling fuel in the vents and in the garage. I took it to the dealership, showed them this thread, and they still said they couldn't replicate the issue. They told me to start a log, so I did. I plan to open a case with Subaru as others have suggested. One tip for not smelling the fuel is to use the air recirculate button. That's not a fix, just a nicer way to drive until things are properly addressed.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Update

I have called an opened a case. Dealer appears to have confirmed the issue and is doing a dye test. The dealer has been helpful, but I'm getting anxious for a resolution. At 1,800 miles (with probably a couple more hundred put on through these test) this is a real shame. I'm wondering if the engine has already been comprised.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Anyone consider getting an emissions test? I assume if the car would fail that would action would need to be taken.
Well....that’d be a good idea except that the engines have to be warmed up to effectively do an emissions test.

FWIW, my ‘16 OB does this occasionally....and I do my own oil changes and it’s never overfilled so it’s not likely oil related....at least not from an overfill condition

I suspect it has something to do with the cold startup presets and it’s indemic across all models.

I never let any vehicle sit and run in my garage just cuz it’s a confined space.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts