Subaru Ascent Forum banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Administrator
10,208 Posts
Cars covered by the law include any car that:
  • Was covered by a warranty at original delivery; AND
  • Was purchased, leased or transferred within the earlier of 18,000 miles or two years from the date of original delivery; AND
  • Was either purchased, leased or transferred in New York State or is presently registered in the state; AND
  • Is used primarily for personal purposes.
The wording on that page seems to be in conflict with the "Bill of Rights" near the bottom.

"In addition to any warranties offered by the manufacturer, your new car, if purchased and registered in New York State, is warranted against all material defects for 18,000 miles or two years, whichever comes first."

I don't see the conflict. "In addition to (Subaru's 3 year/36K and other warranties), your new car... is (ALSO/AT LEAST) warranted... for 18,000 miles or two years (from purchase)..."

So, the car was purchased as an original purchase, well within the 18K/2 year requirement, and, Subaru offers bumper to bumper warranty for the first 3 years/36K miles, plus the state of NY mandates the warranty be at least 2 years/18K miles (which Subaru's warranty exceeds).

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
I see what you’re saying. NYS is only guaranteeing that a new car is warranted for 18K/2 yrs. There is a number to call at the bottom but not sure how far I’d get with that. I’ll try calling later for verification.

·
Administrator
10,208 Posts
Maybe I misunderstood the purpose of your comment here. I thought you were saying a claim could still be made under the lemon law.
I see what you're saying... the warranty discussed is the mandatory 2 year NYS warranty, and not the manufacturer warranty mentioned earlier in the document. Probably a better interpretation.

·
Registered
46 Posts
When I had clunky noise problems shortly after taking delivery of my '20 Limited, it was in the shop for ten days; service dept did not have a clue what the problem was at first.. I raised he!! after 4 days of no answers. The Sales manager called me and told me they would make the first month's payment for us, which they did. They did get it fixed and I got one less payment I had to make.

·
Registered
2018 Outback Limited 2.5, 2021 Ascent Premium on the way
188 Posts
Even easier, call SOA and tell them you think the car qualifies as a lemon. That should light a fire under someone's butt to fix your car and/or get you a new one.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Even easier, call SOA and tell them you think the car qualifies as a lemon. That should light a fire under someone's butt to fix your car and/or get you a new one.
That is the nuclear option, as it will likely require legal help, but that path is available. Like I said in the original post, someone from SOA’s Customer Advocacy Department already reached out to me. I believe she would be part of the “arbitration procedure” that is allotted for in the NY lemon law Bill of Rights. She wants to talk to me once I get my car back. But being that it is over 30 days now, things have changed a bit. I’m carefully considering all options.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi all. So I’ve been having quite the adventure with my 2019 Touring. Last year it started making a small grinding sound when I accellerated while turning. It was hard to pinpoint the direction of the source but It sounded like the back (I know the front struts had reported issues but they assured me that this wasn’t that).

Because of COVID I waited it out and it only got worse to the point where almost every turn I made sent a chill down my spine, reminding me of the nearly $50K I dropped for this car less than 2 years ago.

Just over a month ago I had had enough and dropped it off at the dealer I bought it from. They couldn’t make the noise happen of course, so I had to go back and drive it with the tech to show him. Once he knew he could do it on his own for troubleshooting purposes, I left the car with them.

Since then, they have tried replacing the drive shaft which wasnt the problem. Then they replaced the differential which wasn’t the problem (then removed it to put back in my old one again). And now they are putting in a whole new transmission on their latest “this has to be the problem” attempt.

It’s been over a month now and they still have the car. Considering how many major parts were taken off and replaced (and in the differential’s case, taken off and replaced yet again), the room for error on something not going back exactly to spec is giving me serious anxiety and will likely continue once they eventually tell me everything been fixed.

I’ve been having to chase them down for every update and although I won’t get into specifics regarding that frustrating part of the experience, I will say someone at the SOA “Customer Advocacy Department” has finally reached out, which was a breath of fresh air. They ensured me that once this is fixed they want to help me feel better about my car and Subaru in general regarding this whole ordeal but I just honestly don’t know what they could possibly do at this point. I’m not even sure I want this car anymore considering all I paid for it and it’s ensuing nightmare. Even if I sold it, who wants to pay top dollar for a 2 year old Humpty Dumpty that’s been taken so much apart and put back together again? Im honestly not trying to exaggerate and hold out for a better offer from them either. This has left a genuine bad taste in my mouth about my car. I loved my Outback but I may never buy another Subaru again.

I guess after this huge vent session (thank you for patiently reading if you got to this point) what I am asking is, does anyone even know what is in my rights here or what to expect as far as compensation for this disheartening debacle? I’d love to hear the opinions of anyone who has had similar experiences.

Thanks for reading!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Did your repair shop look at the rotors. I felt the similar thing and after replacing the transmission for another unique 2019 Ascent problem the serviceman noted a rough sound during driving the car to check the transmission. They grinded the front and rear rotors and rough noise has gone. Only issue I have is a lower mpg from 23.4 to 19.8 mpg.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I don't usually reply on forums like this, but when I read your post I had to chime in. You see, my Ascent is currently in the shop for what I think is the exact same issue - a grinding chattery sort of noise when I accelerated, kind of like a bicycle chain. I have been hearing it for about 3 weeks. I took it in today to have it checked out and was informed that they were going to replace the transmission. They said it would take about a week and have given me a loaner. I really hope that I am not waiting as long as you have had to wait. So far, the dealership has been honest and accommodating, but this is just day one so we will see how it goes. I thank God that it is still covered by warranty. My Ascent is just under 3 years old and has 36,000 miles. I wouldn't expect a transmission to fail on such a new vehicle.

Hi all. So I’ve been having quite the adventure with my 2019 Touring. Last year it started making a small grinding sound when I accellerated while turning. It was hard to pinpoint the direction of the source but It sounded like the back (I know the front struts had reported issues but they assured me that this wasn’t that).

Because of COVID I waited it out and it only got worse to the point where almost every turn I made sent a chill down my spine, reminding me of the nearly $50K I dropped for this car less than 2 years ago.

Just over a month ago I had had enough and dropped it off at the dealer I bought it from. They couldn’t make the noise happen of course, so I had to go back and drive it with the tech to show him. Once he knew he could do it on his own for troubleshooting purposes, I left the car with them.

Since then, they have tried replacing the drive shaft which wasnt the problem. Then they replaced the differential which wasn’t the problem (then removed it to put back in my old one again). And now they are putting in a whole new transmission on their latest “this has to be the problem” attempt.

It’s been over a month now and they still have the car. Considering how many major parts were taken off and replaced (and in the differential’s case, taken off and replaced yet again), the room for error on something not going back exactly to spec is giving me serious anxiety and will likely continue once they eventually tell me everything been fixed.

I’ve been having to chase them down for every update and although I won’t get into specifics regarding that frustrating part of the experience, I will say someone at the SOA “Customer Advocacy Department” has finally reached out, which was a breath of fresh air. They ensured me that once this is fixed they want to help me feel better about my car and Subaru in general regarding this whole ordeal but I just honestly don’t know what they could possibly do at this point. I’m not even sure I want this car anymore considering all I paid for it and it’s ensuing nightmare. Even if I sold it, who wants to pay top dollar for a 2 year old Humpty Dumpty that’s been taken so much apart and put back together again? Im honestly not trying to exaggerate and hold out for a better offer from them either. This has left a genuine bad taste in my mouth about my car. I loved my Outback but I may never buy another Subaru again.

I guess after this huge vent session (thank you for patiently reading if you got to this point) what I am asking is, does anyone even know what is in my rights here or what to expect as far as compensation for this disheartening debacle? I’d love to hear the opinions of anyone who has had similar experiences.

Thanks for reading!

Thanks for reading!

21 - 30 of 30 Posts