Subaru Ascent Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all. So I’ve been having quite the adventure with my 2019 Touring. Last year it started making a small grinding sound when I accellerated while turning. It was hard to pinpoint the direction of the source but It sounded like the back (I know the front struts had reported issues but they assured me that this wasn’t that).

Because of COVID I waited it out and it only got worse to the point where almost every turn I made sent a chill down my spine, reminding me of the nearly $50K I dropped for this car less than 2 years ago.

Just over a month ago I had had enough and dropped it off at the dealer I bought it from. They couldn’t make the noise happen of course, so I had to go back and drive it with the tech to show him. Once he knew he could do it on his own for troubleshooting purposes, I left the car with them.

Since then, they have tried replacing the drive shaft which wasnt the problem. Then they replaced the differential which wasn’t the problem (then removed it to put back in my old one again). And now they are putting in a whole new transmission on their latest “this has to be the problem” attempt.

It’s been over a month now and they still have the car. Considering how many major parts were taken off and replaced (and in the differential’s case, taken off and replaced yet again), the room for error on something not going back exactly to spec is giving me serious anxiety and will likely continue once they eventually tell me everything been fixed.

I’ve been having to chase them down for every update and although I won’t get into specifics regarding that frustrating part of the experience, I will say someone at the SOA “Customer Advocacy Department” has finally reached out, which was a breath of fresh air. They ensured me that once this is fixed they want to help me feel better about my car and Subaru in general regarding this whole ordeal but I just honestly don’t know what they could possibly do at this point. I’m not even sure I want this car anymore considering all I paid for it and it’s ensuing nightmare. Even if I sold it, who wants to pay top dollar for a 2 year old Humpty Dumpty that’s been taken so much apart and put back together again? Im honestly not trying to exaggerate and hold out for a better offer from them either. This has left a genuine bad taste in my mouth about my car. I loved my Outback but I may never buy another Subaru again.

I guess after this huge vent session (thank you for patiently reading if you got to this point) what I am asking is, does anyone even know what is in my rights here or what to expect as far as compensation for this disheartening debacle? I’d love to hear the opinions of anyone who has had similar experiences.

Thanks for reading!

·
Administrator
10,206 Posts
I'm sorry to hear about your dealership experience. Have they checked the "wheel" bearings? And, what would you feel is adequate compensation? I'm sure Subaru would love to see you start loving your car again.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I dont know what they checked. I only know what they replaced. I have had to squeeze out any info from them. When I’ve texted them, they respond that “We’ll let you know when there is an update” and I wait and wait with no word only to hear the update after I initiate the contact again. Anyway I dont know what adequate compensation would be fair. Like I said I don’t even think I want this car anymore based on this experience. What could they do? What have they done to compensate, historically, in situations like this?

·
Administrator
10,206 Posts
I've not been in such a situation, so, I will let others discuss what they've been offered. I think some of the offers were quite generous.

Do you have a loaner car? Do you have the Gold Plus Extended "Warranty"?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
They gave me the loaner when I dropped it off. I think that’s standard fare even for a one day repair though. Having a loner isn’t compensation in my opinion. I have the standard 3 year warranty (maybe 3.5 year now with their COVID extension?).

Im certainly curious about others experiences.

·
Administrator
10,206 Posts
I don't think having a loaner is compensation. I wanted to make sure that you got one, and if not, help ensure you did.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Can you record a video (if safely possible) and post it? I have seen many posts on the forum about noises, and if someone else had the same issue (and resolved), it might be helpful input...

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
No, I can’t take a video, unfortunately. As I was saying in the post they’ve had my car for over a month and still have it. We’ll see if it was the transmission soon, as I was told It was being replaced 3 days ago. I was expecting an update yesterday but, par for the course, they never called.

·
Registered
339 Posts
I have the standard 3 year warranty (maybe 3.5 year now with their COVID extension?).
Huh? That's the first I've heard of this. Anyone else?

1. Look into the lemon law in your state. They usually last a certain amount of time / miles and if a problem can't be fixed after x number of visits or days your vehicle may be eligible.

2. If they're able to solve the issue SOA will probably compensate you with some kind of credit or warranty extension. I wouldn't have much concern about parts being replaced. If it was done incorrectly, it should be apparent pretty quickly and they'll fix it.

3. If they can't solve it, SOA may offer to buy back your car or trade for a newer model.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I thought about the lemon law, but I’m wondering if it “technically” doesn’t apply because they’ve had it this whole time and have not admitted to fixing it yet. Once they fix it and give it back, that may be considered the first attempt at fixing it. I could be wrong, as I’m no lawyer. In any case, they told me the transmission would be replaced and I would be contacted… I was expecting an update this past Friday, and again, nothing. I’m guessing it may not be the transmission either now and they’re trying to figure out the NEXT step. This is beyond ridiculous at this point.

·
Registered
339 Posts
I thought about the lemon law, but I’m wondering if it “technically” doesn’t apply because they’ve had it this whole time and have not admitted to fixing it yet. Once they fix it and give it back, that may be considered the first attempt at fixing it. I could be wrong, as I’m no lawyer. In any case, they told me the transmission would be replaced and I would be contacted… I was expecting an update this past Friday, and again, nothing. I’m guessing it may not be the transmission either now and they’re trying to figure out the NEXT step. This is beyond ridiculous at this point.
Like I said, check your state's rules. Georgia (my state) is valid for 2 years / 24k miles. They get 4 attempts or 30 days total to fix an issue. You said you dropped it off just over a month ago so may already qualify.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
They are considering each “attempt” as “troubleshooting” and they’ve actually used that word with me. They have not told me it was fixed yet. I think that may be legally different than saying it’s fixed, returning it to me, and then finding out it wasnt fixed. In their eyes this is all part of one repair attempt. I’ll check NY lemon law in any case. I did not realize there may be a time limit to repair an issue. Thank you!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
NY: 2 years, 18k miles. 4 repair attempts or 30 days out of service.
I just found this as well. I noted that the NY used car lemon law has a 15 day limit but allows for extended time for replacement part shipments. The new car lemon law does not contain that language in the official NY state fact sheet. I am over 30 days for sure.

·
Administrator
10,206 Posts

·
Registered
339 Posts
Don't worry, that's not what the 18,000 miles limit is for. Please see this...
Cars covered by the law include any car that:
  • Was covered by a warranty at original delivery; AND
  • Was purchased, leased or transferred within the earlier of 18,000 miles or two years from the date of original delivery; AND
  • Was either purchased, leased or transferred in New York State or is presently registered in the state; AND
  • Is used primarily for personal purposes.
The wording on that page seems to be in conflict with the "Bill of Rights" near the bottom.

"In addition to any warranties offered by the manufacturer, your new car, if purchased and registered in New York State, is warranted against all material defects for 18,000 miles or two years, whichever comes first."

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
is warranted against all material defects for 18,000 miles or two years, whichever comes first."
Yes. This is what I noticed too. I bought it new, in April 2019. It was under 2 years old when I brought it in. The mileage is over 18K though. It does seem to me as well that this last part does contradict the info above it.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts