Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking at these:
https://www.discounttiredirect.com/buy-wheels/drag-dr-64
https://www.discounttiredirect.com/buy-wheels/mb-wheels-crux

Wife likes the Drag DR more but the MB Crux has a higher weight rating. 1800 vs 2100. I could live with either. Both should suffice but I have a lot of gravel roads and potholes, so I kind of lean toward the higher rated one. Unsure if that would really matter. Price difference doesn't matter.

And for tires:
Michelin CrossClimate2
or
Goodyear Assurance WeatherReady
or
Something that you all think is better. I'm not hardcore off-roading, just gravel roads out in the country and bad weather, not much snow here in Northern VA usually, but lots of mix and ice sometimes.

Question about doing this, do I need to buy 5 or just keep the OEM spare? I don't care that it would look strange heading to get it repaired, only worry is if I'd be close enough in sizes to not damage the drivetrain?

Also on the tires, which would be better for gravel roads? Would one wear out quicker? Kind of sounds like the CrossClimates would be better for traction in all conditions (not sure about gravel though) but since they are directional, kinda concerned about not being able to rotate normally vs the Goodyears being non-directional.

Any advice you can give would be great.

Another option is just buying better tires on my existing 20" rims than the stock OEM ones (which are wearing way to rapidly and I've never been that impressed with).

Thoughts? Thanks all in advance for you advice.

@Robert.Mauro Would love your sage wisdom if you have a few min. Seen waay too many excellent posts from you here to not take your advice.

Administrator
I think you'll be fine at 1,800 pounds. Mine are rated at 1,800 pounds, and while I expect I might crack one of my rims one day, I also expect virtually no one will be doing what I do. I've already scraped the facing off a spoke, and chipped two at the edge of the bead seat... but I do crazy things. For inflated tires on road, whether gravel or pot holes, you should be fine at 1,800 pounds rating, so, I guess you two can flip a coin?

Also remember that I'm often on two or three wheels, instead of one. 馃槀

Administrator
For the spare, as long as you are buying OEM 18" or 20" size tires, you can use the donut. Otherwise, consider getting a full sized spare that matches.

For 2021, you can get the 2021 TPMS sensors for all five wheels and they will auto program. You can reuse the existing ones too.

For 2019-2020, you can reuse the existing ones, or get new ones and have them programmed to the car. If you plan on running two sets of wheels, I suggest closable ones, that are cloned to the original set. If you run a full sized spare, it needs to be registered each tire swap.

Administrator
On a personal level, I prefer the feel of the 18" wheels. I think they're a more comfortable ride. I think they're a little better suited for the types of roads you're describing as well (more sidewall, less jarring on bumps).

So, to get to 18" OEM sized, just get 245/60R18 and you're all set! If I missed anything, please let me know.

And, thanks much, for the kind words!!! :)

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thx Robert. Much appreciated. Sounds like we鈥檒l go with the WAF and then just need to decide on which tires to go with them.

I鈥榣l get the Drags Drs, w/ proper ring spacer and the lugs that Discount Tire recommends to go with those wheels and then choose an 18鈥 OEM tire size to go with them and likely inflate to 35 instead of what is on the door placard.

Will I need to change anything with the Eyesight or anything else? I鈥檒l use the existing TPMS sensors and have them moved over. I don鈥檛 plan on doing anything with the 20s except disposing of the tires and then setting the rims in my barn until someone wants them.

FWIW, I鈥檒l be willing to take any reasonable offer on the OEM 20 rims. I鈥檓 in Waterford, VA.

Administrator
Using OEM size, other than the tire pressure, you'll be all set. @Discount Tire will hook you up with the correct hub centric rings and lug nuts for the wheels. Remember, if the tires are 105 rated, then the inflation is likely 35 psi. If the tire's load rating is not 105, the inflation is almost definitely different. So, whatever the rating is, it can't hurt to ask Discount Tire or the tire manufacturer to look up the correct inflation.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Got it.

Any worries on my Subaru warranty being affected? Obviously I can鈥檛 expect them to worry about the wheels, etc. But they won鈥檛 give me any flak about having aftermarket wheels as long as they are proper size?

Administrator
Exactly. I'd suspect it won't. Swapping to OEM equivalent or better tires and wheels isn't supposed to affect warranty coverage.

Administrator
FWIW, I鈥檒l be willing to take any reasonable offer on the OEM 20 rims. I鈥檓 in Waterford, VA.
When you're ready, throw a post in the classifieds section.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Will do. BTW, love what you are doing with the Make-A-Wish. I hope others are seeing that and contributing. We did. Not to bring up any bad stuff but we had a loss a while back and we usually ask for Children鈥檚 Hospital donations from relatives for Christmas, etc. Anything that helps kids is great.

Administrator
Thank you so much for that! 馃挅 And, sorry for your loss. 馃槥

Registered
FYI, the Michelin CrossClimate2 won't be available in the 245-60R18 until spring some time. I contacted them as they are not on the line up now. There is the CrossClimate+ and the CrossClimate SUV though. The SUV version is a higher load rating than the 2 or the +. Both + and SUV only 50,000 mile warranty and the 2 is a 60,000.
I'm waiting for the CrossClimate2 tires, but if I needed some now, I'd get the 2's and expect they would be noisier.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thx @SkiPro3 I did see that earlier. I鈥檝e ordered the wheels already and unless someone comes up with a better suggestion, I鈥檒l probably go with the Goodyears Assurance Weatherreddy.

Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
I've mentioned it in other threads, but since I couldn't get the Michelin Defender LTX in OEM size for 20" wheels, I went with the BFG Adventure TA Sport which are all-weather (M&S + 3 Peaks) and am very pleased with them. If I had 18" wheels, I'd likely have the Defenders on my Ascent as they are available in OEM size and they were my absolute all-time favorite tire out of four different ones that I ran on my Grand Cherokee prior to the Ascent.

Reactions: Robert.Mauro

Registered
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thx @Jim_in_PA

Those Defenders look pretty good too and might wear better on the gravel around here. Also I can get them at Costco.

Anyone else have any opinions on tires to go on the 18鈥檚 for my Ascent?

So far the leading available candidates for me are:

Goodyear Assurance Weatherreddy
Michelin Defender LTX M/S

Mainly small country roads around me for 5-10 miles then have normal highway stuff. There are a number of gravel roads that are great shortcuts to get to better roads. Potholes and bumps on those. When it snows here, its a show b/c of where we live and the worst part is sometimes the 1/3 mile to the normal road from my house. I鈥檓 not off reading but want great traction for everything, especially bad weather (rain, sleet, ice, snow), then handling/noise, then longevity, I don鈥檛 care about cost. Just want the best.

Registered
2020 Ascent Touring
A lot of people use the the Falken Wildpeak Trail or AT3. I have the trail. Went from 20鈥檚 down to 18s. Kept the oem size. They鈥檙e not noisy at all, have good mileage at 60k and triple peak.

Registered
Thx @SkiPro3 I did see that earlier. I鈥檝e ordered the wheels already and unless someone comes up with a better suggestion, I鈥檒l probably go with the Goodyears Assurance Weatherreddy.
I think you'll be happier with those. The CrossClimate reviews and test reports indicate they are not the best choice for off pavement, even gravel roads. I know if I drove dirt, gravel, other than paved roads, I'd not consider them. My Ascent stays on pavement with very small off pavement treks, which is why I'm considering the CrossClimate.
Good luck and looking forward to photos of your set up once mounted!

Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
Those Defenders look pretty good too and might wear better on the gravel around here. Also I can get them at Costco.
Exactly where I buy my tires, too..,

My previous experience with the Defenders is that they wear like iron which is one reason I was pining for them. I'm hoping I have a good experience in the same way with the BFGs I did buy this time and they have similar tread wear expectations, at least based on specifications.

Reactions: Catoctin

Registered
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
This is the wheel I went with. Is there any issue or things to take into account with it being 8鈥 wide vs the stock width of 7.5?

I think based on the offset difference it would be 16mm out but not sure with the width difference what that does.

Also, anyone know how to figure out what the proper tire inflation would be for
245/60-18 either Goodyear Assurance Weatherreddy or Michelin Defender LTX M/S

Would they both be 35 PSI? Sorry, I think I am about done wringing every last piece of info out of this I keep thinking of.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts