Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,
Been a loyal Subaru owner for over 15 years and now doubting my wisdom of upgrading to a 2019 Ascent. It has 16K miles on it and was doing just fine until last week when the transmission busted on the highway at 70 mph. Managed to get it under control with the family yelling and screaming.

Dealer confirmed that transmission and CVT needs to be replaced. Looks like this is a common issue. Never had an extended warranty on two previous Subaru's so did not get one for Ascent.

Question: Can I buy extended warranty 2 years after purchase at 16K miles?

Thanks
Andy

·
Registered
3,726 Posts
Hi everyone,
Been a loyal Subaru owner for over 15 years and now doubting my wisdom of upgrading to a 2019 Ascent. It has 16K miles on it and was doing just fine until last week when the transmission busted on the highway at 70 mph. Managed to get it under control with the family yelling and screaming.

Dealer confirmed that transmission and CVT needs to be replaced. Looks like this is a common issue. Never had an extended warranty on two previous Subaru's so did not get one for Ascent.

Question: Can I buy extended warranty 2 years after purchase at 16K miles?

Thanks
Andy
You can buy the Gold Plus plan up to the 3/36 expiration (actually beyond, but it is certainly not worth it at that point due to the much higher cost). You are fully covered for this repair and yes the wiring harness was a known issue that subsequently was causing CVT problems. My 2019 had the wiring harness replaced but never needed the CVT replaced. Subaru extended the CVT warranty for many owners regardless of any Gold Plus Plan. Once these are replaced you will not have similar issues.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Sorry to hear about your Ascent. Subaru did give a separate extended warranty covering the 2019 Ascent CVT for up to 10years or 100k miles. However once Subaru replaces your CVT, that extended CVT warranty is no longer valid. This was in response to the WUV-07 recall.

Like you I am a repeat Subaru buyer (7 so far). The Ascent was the 2nd Subaru I considered buying an extended warranty on, but I did not. I had my CVT replaced back in 2019, so I hope it holds up.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am giving up on my 2019 Ascent. First transmission failed at 4k miles stranded wife at roadside. Second one not right soon after replacement, after several trips for service, recalls, reprograms, with it getting worse they finally agreed to put in third CVT just after vehicle was over 2 years old at 31,000 miles. That one lasted 200 miles, left family stranded in Orlando this weekend, had to go pick them up. Doesn't matter how much you like the other aspects of the car, if you can't safely travel in it what is the point? This is our family's 6th Subaru, I drive an Sti I love, and my daughter has an old Outback (7th Subaru) with 140k miles that runs like a top. Waiting to see what Subaru is going to do to try and make this right...

·
Registered
3,726 Posts
I am giving up on my 2019 Ascent. First transmission failed at 4k miles stranded wife at roadside. Second one not right soon after replacement, after several trips for service, recalls, reprograms, with it getting worse they finally agreed to put in third CVT just after vehicle was over 2 years old at 31,000 miles. That one lasted 200 miles, left family stranded in Orlando this weekend, had to go pick them up. Doesn't matter how much you like the other aspects of the car, if you can't safely travel in it what is the point? This is our family's 6th Subaru, I drive an Sti I love, and my daughter has an old Outback (7th Subaru) with 140k miles that runs like a top. Waiting to see what Subaru is going to do to try and make this right...
they will probably enter in a buyback agreement. I do not know why the second or third one failed. This is very strange unless they have a bad cvt batch which I presume they are looking into or I suppose the dealer tech doesn't know what they are doing for the install. If it was anything else many other cvt would have problems. The first one I understand given the history of the wire harness but the subsequent replacements ???

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
3,900 Posts
I agree with Packout that this is a very unusual situation, John. There's no good reason why a single vehicle would repeat that kind of thing three times unless there's something "deeply embedded" that's horribly wrong. The transmissions are also not a new construct...the model in the Ascent has been in use by Subaru for ~12+ years now.

That said, I can see why things are sour for you and hope you can negotiate a buy-back as Packout suggests. I don't personally believe that's out of line to request here, given your circumstance.

Reactions: packout

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
John,

You may want to check your states lemon laws. Or if you like Subarus after the dealer fixes it trade it in on another Subaru. Let him now own the problem.

·
Registered
157 Posts
John,

Whatever you decide to do, give 'em hell. Or, as Dylan Thomas put it, "Do not go gentle into that good night."

·
Registered
3,726 Posts
I am not sure what the law would say on this, but I think when considering the buyback value of the vehicle it should NOT be based on current mileage but virtually as new since you had the problem right out of the gate and had to endure those replacement CVTs. You stated 4000 miles was when it was replaced and I assume you had some catastrophic event that triggered that replacement. On top of that a third replacement CVT lasted only 200 miles. I bet Subaru steps up easily but please let us know.

·
Administrator
10,987 Posts
they will probably enter in a buyback agreement. I do not know why the second or third one failed. This is very strange unless they have a bad cvt batch which I presume they are looking into or I suppose the dealer tech doesn't know what they are doing for the install. If it was anything else many other cvt would have problems. The first one I understand given the history of the wire harness but the subsequent replacements ???
Most common causes are:
  1. the wrong CVT fluid used
  2. the harness not being replaced
  3. a problem caused by the TCM (not harness) where the TCM was not replaced (additional diagnostic steps have been added to STIS to help dealers identify TCM problems)
  4. the CVT not being filled/filled properly - a tech may get away with "pour to overflow" in an Outback without cooler - but, in an Ascent with long cooling lines and a radiator, that means the CVT will be quarts low, and destroy itself.

Each of those problems would be one that would likely be repeated by the same dealership and/or techs.

Wish I'd heard about this one earlier. @John W., so saddened to hear about your problems with the Ascent. Please keep me posted how things go.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.