Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's my first Subaru. In January, my 2013 Beetle convertible was rear ended and totaled. My wife wanted the Subaru, so we got it. So far we have 13k miles on it. I like the electronics and I fit fine in the car considering I am 6'5. Power is ok, I hate the CVT. I'd never buy another Subaru if it had one. Gas mileage isn't so great either. It's a mixed bag. I don't hate it, but I don't love it. The way the transmission works, I have to wonder about it's long term reliability. When it's not warmed up, it feels like a slipping clutch. I prefer a normal auto or a manual over how it operates. Just my preference. I think the cross bars for the roof rack should have been included too, but that's a minor pet peeve. Just wondering how it will hold up. I live in AZ and the heat here is hard on everything.

Reactions: ChuckKaty1

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
3,883 Posts
I hate the CVT. I'd never buy another Subaru if it had one
That's pretty much going to make you a one-time Subaru owner since that's pretty much all that is offered. ;) Perhaps you'll warm to the system over time by adjusting your driving. I honestly don't even notice it at this point and I'm coming from a vehicle that had a 6 speed auto.

Reactions: SkiPro3

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's pretty much going to make you a one-time Subaru owner since that's pretty much all that is offered. ;) Perhaps you'll warm to the system over time by adjusting your driving. I honestly don't even notice it at this point and I'm coming from a vehicle that had a 6 speed auto.
Considering my wife is the one that wanted it, it probably will be my last one. I drive it more than she does, but the down payment was from what I got from my beetle being totaled. Next year I’ll probably give it back to her (it’s in her name anyway) and get a Challenger RT or a F-150. Haven’t decided yet, but I’m leaning towards the pickup with the 5.0 and 10 speed. The Challenger would have to have a stick and they are harder to find, especially in specific colors. The things we do for love.

·
Administrator
10,968 Posts
The Challenger would have to have a stick and they are harder to find, especially in specific colors.
I soooo understand this. My previous car was a 2010 Subaru Outback Premium 6MT in Graphite Grey Metallic with the 6 speed manual. I spent weeks looking for one that was a stick and that color. I found only two (one in California and one at @Liberty Subaru in Emerson NJ). Living in New York, I think you can guess which I picked.

Sadly, I don't find any of the "manual substitutes" (eg: paddle shifters, or console shifters, etc) to compare. Ah well. Maybe I'll get another stick one day when I am in a position to get a second car.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Update after owning the Ascent nearly a year.

It's in the body shop as my wife backed into a tree. She refuses to use the backup camera. Needs a hatch, back glass, bumper cover, etc. Sad thing is dealers don't stock the parts and we won't get the car back until the 31st.

That said, we have about 20k miles on it. So far, so good. On the 18k service they did a couple recalls and one was a reprogramming of the CVT which seems to have improved things quite a bit. We've taken a trip to Colorado over thanksgiving and I was surprised how much better the mileage was on extended highway driving. We hit 30mpg at one point with mid to upper 20s normally. Around town is what it is. Sometimes the Apple Car Play gets squirrelly and a cycle of the power fixes it. Not often, but it happens occasionally.

The funny thing is, I will be in the market for a car soon as my kids will be taking my wife's Passat and she will get the subie and with the car in the shop, we got a rental and I decided to try a F150. I found myself comparing it to the Ascent in terms of features. The problem with American cars/trucks is that in order to get certain features, one has to upgrade trim levels for that one or two things. In order to get a F150 comparably equipped it would be 50K or more. Between that and I had a hard time getting in and out of the F150, I am disabused of getting one. I am 6'5 and have a fused neck and it was harder getting in and out of the F150 than it is with the Ascent. So, the search goes on. I really want something else that's more purposeful and not compromising in terms of being a do it all vehicle. I was hoping the truck would be good. I've owned a few and don't recall having the same issues, but my neck wasn't fused then and vehicles today have to protect in roll overs and that necessitates more roof structure which lowers the door opening, which can be an obstacle for me. Outside of that, a modern version/interpretation of a 442 W-30 would work. That pretty much leaves the Challenger. I will check one out and see what the ergos with that are like. If that doesn't work, then I have to start over.

So far the Ascent has been good and I've become more than used to it. I am actually judging other vehicles on it(I took the F150 back and the only vehicle they had was a Frontier. Big no. Engine torquey though, but it's primitive). The only other observation I have is the stock tires leave something to be desired. They aren't wearing that well and when I drove in snow they were eh. When it's time to replace I will put something better on it. I think it will improve handling too.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
3,883 Posts
Bummer on the tree thing...you might want to "gently" suggest that that tree could have been some human which is one of primary reasons that backup cameras were mandated, but she might slap you... ;) ...or make you sleep in the garage, if you have one. :D

For your CarPlay thing, be sure you have the latest firmware on the head unit. There was a major update a couple months ago that fixed a lot of anomalies.

Ascent is pretty darn "American", being build (only) in the US and until the recent announcement of a deal to bring it to the Philippines, it's only been available in North America. So it's a good comparison to other options you might be exploring.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Bummer on the tree thing...you might want to "gently" suggest that that tree could have been some human which is one of primary reasons that backup cameras were mandated, but she might slap you... ;) ...or make you sleep in the garage, if you have one. :D

For your CarPlay thing, be sure you have the latest firmware on the head unit. There was a major update a couple months ago that fixed a lot of anomalies.

Ascent is pretty darn "American", being build (only) in the US and until the recent announcement of a deal to bring it to the Philippines, it's only been available in North America. So it's a good comparison to other options you might be exploring.
subaru isn’t an american company with the philosophies that seem to go with them and trickle down. the fish stinks from the head. it just seems to me that while quality omproved for a while for American car manufacturers, they are back to planned obsolescence. it’s a whole subject in my mind and too much for here. I’ll look into the firmware. I also use beta iOS, which could be a factor.

·
Registered
561 Posts
I thought these cars have a back up safety feature to prevent backing into stuff. We tested ours on me. I had my wife try to back into me. At first it beeped at her and finally it got aggressive and slammed on the brakes. How come that didn't work for your wife?

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I thought these cars have a back up safety feature to prevent backing into stuff. We tested ours on me. I had my wife try to back into me. At first it beeped at her and finally it got aggressive and slammed on the brakes. How come that didn't work for your wife?
You’ll have to ask her.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I think Subaru should be held responsible if the safety feature failed. Worth a shot.
My wife is fully responsible. I’m always telling her to use the backup camera and she refuses. I’ve adapted the the new tech well and look at as almost necessary. She just doesn’t get it.

·
Registered
3,723 Posts
Update after owning the Ascent nearly a year.

It's in the body shop as my wife backed into a tree. She refuses to use the backup camera. Needs a hatch, back glass, bumper cover, etc. Sad thing is dealers don't stock the parts and we won't get the car back until the 31st.

That said, we have about 20k miles on it. So far, so good. On the 18k service they did a couple recalls and one was a reprogramming of the CVT which seems to have improved things quite a bit. We've taken a trip to Colorado over thanksgiving and I was surprised how much better the mileage was on extended highway driving. We hit 30mpg at one point with mid to upper 20s normally. Around town is what it is. Sometimes the Apple Car Play gets squirrelly and a cycle of the power fixes it. Not often, but it happens occasionally.

The funny thing is, I will be in the market for a car soon as my kids will be taking my wife's Passat and she will get the subie and with the car in the shop, we got a rental and I decided to try a F150. I found myself comparing it to the Ascent in terms of features. The problem with American cars/trucks is that in order to get certain features, one has to upgrade trim levels for that one or two things. In order to get a F150 comparably equipped it would be 50K or more. Between that and I had a hard time getting in and out of the F150, I am disabused of getting one. I am 6'5 and have a fused neck and it was harder getting in and out of the F150 than it is with the Ascent. So, the search goes on. I really want something else that's more purposeful and not compromising in terms of being a do it all vehicle. I was hoping the truck would be good. I've owned a few and don't recall having the same issues, but my neck wasn't fused then and vehicles today have to protect in roll overs and that necessitates more roof structure which lowers the door opening, which can be an obstacle for me. Outside of that, a modern version/interpretation of a 442 W-30 would work. That pretty much leaves the Challenger. I will check one out and see what the ergos with that are like. If that doesn't work, then I have to start over.

So far the Ascent has been good and I've become more than used to it. I am actually judging other vehicles on it(I took the F150 back and the only vehicle they had was a Frontier. Big no. Engine torquey though, but it's primitive). The only other observation I have is the stock tires leave something to be desired. They aren't wearing that well and when I drove in snow they were eh. When it's time to replace I will put something better on it. I think it will improve handling too.
I mounted Blizzaks on m 2019 Limited. They were great in the CO mountains.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I mounted Blizzaks on m 2019 Limited. They were great in the CO mountains.
I bet they are. Did you use the same rims or get a second set? I wonder if there are plain steel rims that could be used for winter driving.

·
Registered
3,723 Posts
I bet they are. Did you use the same rims or get a second set? I wonder if there are plain steel rims that could be used for winter driving.
I used the same rims. I negotiated an extra year of free changing the winter tires back to the all season tires with Discount Tire (We bought winter tires for my Ascent and my teenage son's Impreza).

·
Administrator
10,968 Posts
Currently, there's no 18" steelies that fit. Perhaps there's 20" steelies, but I don't think I've seen anyone who's tried.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts