Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife and I own a 2019 Subaru Ascent Limted. It was sideswiped while visiting family in Queens. We have a rule of not driving it in the city and the first time we do, it gets hit. That is neither here nor there.

We have GEICO for insurance and I started a claim with them. I looked up GEICO shops and none of them were Subaru certified. Since then, I dropped it off at a shop that is Subaru certified. Subaru requires that they use genuine parts and follow certain procedures. Has anyone used a Subaru Certified body shop and did insurance cover all of it. The estimate is about $5,000 after tax, but I know a cheap GEICO shop would run less than that. Just looking for some feedback and insight. The damage can be seen below.

·
Registered
561 Posts
That damage doesn't look half bad...kinda matches the lines of the car:) and makes it unique.

·
Super Moderator
2,427 Posts
If you have the insurance info from the other person all you should have to do is make sure your Geico agent makes them pay that full amount. Your insurance may foot the bill to get the ball rolling but will be reimbursed by the at fault party. That’s all assuming the other person has insurance and you have that info and weren’t at fault, even partially. Did you have a dash cam running?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If you have the insurance info from the other person all you should have to do is make sure your Geico agent makes them pay that full amount. Your insurance may foot the bill to get the ball rolling but will be reimbursed by the at fault party. That’s all assuming the other person has insurance and you have that info and weren’t at fault, even partially. Did you have a dash cam running?
Yeah... People don't stop when you live in the NYC area. Kinds of sucks, but it is what it is. Its why insurance can be expensive here. I don't have a dash cam and no one in the area had surveillance.

·
Registered
559 Posts
AFAIK you are entitled to take it to the bodyshop of your choice. If the other driver is at fault, it will be paid by that party's policy anyway.

·
Super Moderator
2,427 Posts
Yeah... People don't stop when you live in the NYC area. Kinds of sucks, but it is what it is. Its why insurance can be expensive here. I don't have a dash cam and no one in the area had surveillance.
Quite unfortunate. Either way, don’t settle for a quick repair. Even if it takes a little pushing from your end get it done right.

·
Administrator
10,948 Posts
AFAIK you are entitled to take it to the bodyshop of your choice. If the other driver is at fault, it will be paid by that party's policy anyway.
NY is a no fault state, so, there are only certain times when the other insurance company takes sole fiscal responsibility.

·
Administrator
10,948 Posts
Is the OP still entitled to take it to the bodyshop of his choosing?
Yep, they sure are.

And, since their insurance company is probably footing the bill, it's even more important that they know that and not be pressured into using a shop of the insurance company's choosing, and make sure everything is well detailed and documented by them, the body shop and their insurance company's adjusters so nothing (none of the work) is denied.

When they are footing the bill, insurance companies fight a lot harder to deny whatever claim elements they can. :sneaky:

·
Registered
98 Posts
I had my Ascent repaired at my Subaru dealer. GEICO said I could get it repaired anywhere I wanted but their standard rate may be lower than the dealer. My shop charges $3 an hour more than the standard rate. I paid $50 extra for the peace of mind.

·
Super Moderator
2,427 Posts
NY is a no fault state, so, there are only certain times when the other insurance company takes sole fiscal responsibility.
No fault as in the officer reporting the accident doesn’t assign fault or the insurance companies don’t determine fault?
Asking because here in VA we’re a no fault state also, only meaning the officer doesn’t assign fault. One or both parties can be issued a ticket for a violation that may have led to an accident, which carries weight in court though. There are civil suits that can arise from an accident also, which can end up in court to determine fault/liability. That’s just the legal side.
On the insurance side they do their own determination. Experience has shown me that the companies will determine, unless provided with clear evidence otherwise, that fault will be shared by both drivers as a percentage. As long as you’re determined to be even 1% at fault (you didn’t honk your horn to avoid the accident), your insurance company takes care of you and theirs takes care of them. In the event of a dash cam showing who is at fault completely, there is no deductible due and the at-fault party pays out. I had this happen to me when my Chevy Cruze was totaled by someone running a red light. They reviewed my footage for proper seatbelt wear, kids in booster seats as required, the time it took me to accelerate at a green light, distractions, etc. The dash cam literally saved me up to about $9k out of pocket.
That got longer than I expected it to; I was just curious about the differences between the way these matters are handled state-to-state

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
3,844 Posts
I believe that the concept of "no fault" is mostly around who the end consumer goes to with the claim and it's to help simplify "the dance" after an accident. It's not about "who is at fault for the accident". PA is a no-fault state. When you have an accident, you file with "your" insurance company and then handle things...including going after the other party's insurance if they are "at fault" for whatever reason that might be the case. Once they collect from the other insurance, one typically gets the deductible back. At least that's how it's worked for me over the years.

Reactions: xydadx3

·
Administrator
10,948 Posts
I believe that the concept of "no fault" is mostly around who the end consumer goes to with the claim and it's to help simplify "the dance" after an accident. It's not about "who is at fault for the accident". PA is a no-fault state. When you have an accident, you file with "your" insurance company and then handle things...including going after the other party's insurance if they are "at fault" for whatever reason that might be the case. Once they collect from the other insurance, one typically gets the deductible back. At least that's how it's worked for me over the years.
Not the case in NY. The insured's insurance company generally pays.

·
Registered
171 Posts
My wife and I own a 2019 Subaru Ascent Limted. It was sideswiped while visiting family in Queens. We have a rule of not driving it in the city and the first time we do, it gets hit. That is neither here nor there.

We have GEICO for insurance and I started a claim with them. I looked up GEICO shops and none of them were Subaru certified. Since then, I dropped it off at a shop that is Subaru certified. Subaru requires that they use genuine parts and follow certain procedures. Has anyone used a Subaru Certified body shop and did insurance cover all of it. The estimate is about $5,000 after tax, but I know a cheap GEICO shop would run less than that. Just looking for some feedback and insight. The damage can be seen below.

View attachment 1288
Depending on the limitations of policy, if any, OEM parts are used on late model vehicles during repair. Subaru Certified is not an absolute necessity unless there are electro-mechanical damage that requires Subaru repair skills and knowledge to restore the vehicle to its original functional state. Going to a insurance-recommended shop usually provides a lifetime warranty on the repairs for sheetmetal work and some scrape repair may be you better approach to selecting a shop.if you are only on the hook for the deductible, what does it matter on how much it costs . I’d you go to a cheaper shop, the deductible is still in play.....and then you’ll have to fight to get you deductible from the other vehicle’s insurance company.

·
Administrator
10,948 Posts
Depending on the limitations of policy, if any, OEM parts are used on late model vehicles during repair. Subaru Certified is not an absolute necessity unless there are electro-mechanical damage that requires Subaru repair skills and knowledge to restore the vehicle to its original functional state. Going to a insurance-recommended shop usually provides a lifetime warranty on the repairs for sheetmetal work and some scrape repair may be you better approach to selecting a shop.if you are only on the hook for the deductible, what does it matter on how much it costs . I’d you go to a cheaper shop, the deductible is still in play.....and then you’ll have to fight to get you deductible from the other vehicle’s insurance company.
She's in NY. No fault state, her insurance pays. Except for in the event of certain medical claims, the other driver's insurance company does not pay.

·
Super Moderator
3,844 Posts
Not the case in NY. The insured's insurance company generally pays.

View attachment 1322
Yes, that's consistent with my statement above. But you can be sure that they are going to go after the other party's insurance if the situation indicates they were "at fault" for the incident...like rear ending you or doing something illegal that is cited by a ticket, etc. That's their fight not yours however. Whether or not you get compensated for your deductible may be different in NY than in PA, however.

·
Administrator
10,948 Posts
Yes, that's consistent with my statement above. But you can be sure that they are going to go after the other party's insurance if the situation indicates they were "at fault" for the incident...like rear ending you or doing something illegal that is cited by a ticket, etc. That's their fight not yours however. Whether or not you get compensated for your deductible may be different in NY than in PA, however.
I work for an insurance company that's licensed in 26 states, including NY (where we are domiciled) and PA, and help maintain or program various of our insurance related systems, so, in some loose or not so loose sense (in that I am responsible for the data used in the claims, and sometimes for pulling up relevant information), such situations are sometimes my fight. ;)

My largest involvement is in the claims systems, so, I've learned a bit about how that stuff is handled, especially in NY, since we have the most policies here. My suggestion regarding dealing with Geico is based on that.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
Based on my observation, GEICO is a major sponsor on this board ... I see their ads a LOT!!! They "got you covered", bro.... LoL

To answer your question, it depends on the state law. In Texas, the insurance company only required to conduct the repair with equivalent body parts. For us, if we want "premium" or OEM parts, we have to pay extra. Also, I don't think it's like that for all insurance, just the ones I've dealt with (e.g. GEICO and progressive).

·
Super Moderator
3,844 Posts
I don't envy some of the stuff you must have to deal with, Robert!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts