Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Administrator
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Missing Spot Welds in B-Pillar Area

In the event of a crash, the missing spot welds may compromise the vehicle's strength, increasing the risk of injury.

NHTSA Campaign Number: 18V508000

Manufacturer Subaru of America, Inc.

Components STRUCTURE

Potential Number of Units Affected 293

Summary

Subaru of America, Inc. (Subaru) is recalling certain 2019 Subaru Ascent vehicles. These vehicles may be missing spot welds on, or around, the B-Pillar, compromising vehicle strength.

Remedy

Subaru will notify owners, and dealers will inspect the vehicle to check for missing spot welds. If the welds are missing, the vehicle will be replaced, free of charge. The recall began July 31, 2018. Owners may contact Subaru customer service at 1-844-373-6614.

6 Associated Documents

Defect Notice 573 Report

Remedy Instructions and TSB - REVISED: 08/08/18

Manufacturer Notices(to Dealers,etc)- New Subaru STOP SALE/Safety Recall: WTU-80 Possible Missing Body Structure Welds

Manufacturer Notices(to Dealers,etc)- Date: July 27, 2018 UPDATED Subaru STOP SALE/Safety Recall: WTU-80 Possible Missing Body Structure Welds

Remedy Instructions and TSB

Recall Acknowledgement

·
Registered
86 Posts
How could all of the cars passed inspection? If there were no problems, why would Subaru even mention it?
Being one of those affected by the recall and knowing that all vehicles passed inspection, I am "speculating" that there were indeed missed weld spots but Subaru deemed that those don't affect the B-Pillar integrity. Honestly, I am still a little worried about it considering that I bought this for family road trips. If this was a regular commodity, I would have requested for an exchange but alas, that is not possible for vehicles.

Anyway, I will have to go with Subaru's judgement since they engineered the car and they "know better".

·
Registered
965 Posts
How could all of the cars passed inspection? If there were no problems, why would Subaru even mention it?
Because there was the potential that they COULD have missed a weld.

What a lot of people out there don't realize is how committed Subaru is to putting out a quality product AND in keeping their customers safe. They would much rather have a stop sale and do an inspection on a car than just hope no one notices. It's our reputation for safety that's on the line here.

We've discussed on here the steering column recall, where there was a SINGLE incident that caused them to recall 46,000 cars, more or less 'just in case'. I'd almost forgetten about the prop shaft recall from '15, where the associate that was putting the bolts in to attach the prop shaft to the transmission was over-torquing the bolts and the seal was SLIGHTLY deformed. That MIGHT have let transmission fluid leak, and if that fluid had hit the exhaust, it could have caused a fire.

But ... there were no fires, no one was hurt, and it was simply a case of they ended up replacing every prop shaft for all the Outback and Legacy models that were produced on one shift for 3 weeks. Subaru noticed there was the potential for an issue, and they remedied it.

I'm not going to say we never have problems or issues. We do. But it's typically a few hundred or a few thousand cars, and normally before there is any issue with the consumer. VW just recalled 45,000 Tiguan's because there HAVE been fires from their electrical system. RAM just recalled 1.4 MILLION trucks because their tailgate locks can just ... open. This is after more than 5,600 incidents.

Recalls are just part of the business. This one has been handled in as simple and easy a manner as possible - which is pretty much how we do things.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts