Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As the title says, is this the latest version for a non-navigation 2019 built on 05/18?

It's been updated once that I recall, but subsequent checks report no update. It's due service and if it needs an update I'll make the trip to my closest subaru dealer which is quite a haul. If no update is needed I'll have service performed at the dealers in-network honda center.

2019 Ascent Premium 35K miles

Any advice appreciated.

Thanks,
G~

·
Administrator
10,968 Posts
Hi, no, you are a version or two behind. You can update using your home wifi. Instructions are in the forum. If you can't find it, let me know and I will as soon as I get back to my computer.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the quick reply Robert. I've always had issues with the wifi update and that's fairly frustrating for a systems admin with 30 years experience. To be clear. I have 40 devices on my over-engineered home network with no issues. I've tried both that 4bar network connect and get "software download failed, would you like to retry?" and the same result paired to my LTE phone. I was able to update ONCE over LTE a long time ago. You may have even helped me at that time. Is there a file that I can download for a manual USB update? I did not check my pihole DNS for blocks, but since the result was the same on LTE paired, I'm assuming it's not a DNS issue.

·
Administrator
10,968 Posts
Sadly, for the Non-Nav systems, there's no end user file, so, you'd have to ask a dealership to do it for you. I believe the newer versiona are more tolerant of network connections they don't like.

Regardless, I've seen download problems right after Harman Kardon does a release, so, with whatever is your strongest wifi, you may find it works in a few weeks, or late at night.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Sadly, for the Non-Nav systems, there's no end user file, so, you'd have to ask a dealership to do it for you. I believe the newer versiona are more tolerant of network connections they don't like.

Regardless, I've seen download problems right after Harman Kardon does a release, so, with whatever is your strongest wifi, you may find it works in a few weeks, or late at night.
My local "Dealership" only has firmware upgrades they receive from SOA (supposedly). When I brought up the issue of my software being out of date and getting the same "software download failed, would you like to retry" error, they told me they don't have access to the software upgrades and that I need to do that myself. Is there any work around to that error or is this a take to a dealer who actually knows what they are doing kind of thing?

Needless to say after the drama of them causing a large amount of damage to uur Ascent last time it was in we'll be going to the next closest dealer (180 miles away) to get any further work done.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I was trying to update mine but I can’t download the program. I haven’t updated mine since I bought my car because of same problem.

·
Registered
89 Posts
My local "Dealership" only has firmware upgrades they receive from SOA (supposedly). When I brought up the issue of my software being out of date and getting the same "software download failed, would you like to retry" error, they told me they don't have access to the software upgrades and that I need to do that myself. Is there any work around to that error or is this a take to a dealer who actually knows what they are doing kind of thing?

Needless to say after the drama of them causing a large amount of damage to uur Ascent last time it was in we'll be going to the next closest dealer (180 miles away) to get any further work done.
Same issue with my 2019 ascent

·
Registered
2020 Ascent Touring
1,115 Posts
Thanks for the quick reply Robert. I've always had issues with the wifi update and that's fairly frustrating for a systems admin with 30 years experience. To be clear. I have 40 devices on my over-engineered home network with no issues. I've tried both that 4bar network connect and get "software download failed, would you like to retry?" and the same result paired to my LTE phone. I was able to update ONCE over LTE a long time ago. You may have even helped me at that time. Is there a file that I can download for a manual USB update? I did not check my pihole DNS for blocks, but since the result was the same on LTE paired, I'm assuming it's not a DNS issue.
Assuming your Ascent is in the driveway, have you used a WiFi analyzer to see competition for signal in that location? My house is concrete with steel roof. Indoors, the neighbor's WiFi signals are nothing more than background noise but in the driveway, the situation reverses where my signal is far weaker than the neighbor's. Also check for channel conflict which might be different in the driveway.

·
Administrator
10,968 Posts
I have a mesh network, and, back on the earlier updates, I've dragged a Puck closer with an extension cord.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Have a 2019 Touring; have always encountered download problems in attempting an update. Contacted Starlink who could only recommend I take it to my service center. Does anyone know if this update is also for the Nav system? Last Nav update I did via a computer download to a USB drive.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Update to this even though it's a pretty old post. I took my Ascent to the dealer for service and had them update. The mentioned update not taking and having to reset (term forgotten sorry) to apply the update, which included a starlink update. My Premium Non-Nav Ascent is now at Rel_UA.20.38.70

Apologies for bumping an old thread, but in case anyone comes searching for resolution I wanted to post.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts