Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 292 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife and I are looking into getting an Ascent, but do we get the current 2019 or wait for the 2020. It's my understand the '19 was released about Jan '18, is this correct? Does that mean the '20 will be coming out soon? I realized the manufacturers are all over the calendar with the introduction date of vehicles, be a total new model or a current model. What's the word on the street? :confused::confused:

·
Registered
590 Posts
My wife and I are looking into getting an Ascent, but do we get the current 2019 or wait for the 2020. It's my understand the '19 was released about Jan '18, is this correct? Does that mean the '20 will be coming out soon? I realized the manufacturers are all over the calendar with the introduction date of vehicles, be a total new model or a current model. What's the word on the street? /forum/images/smilies/confused.gif/forum/images/smilies/confused.gif
The 19 came out in May.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I'm in the exact same situation. If I knew when the 2020 was going to launch, I may decide to wait on it. However, I don't know what they are doing differently with it. I also realize that I would not get as good of a deal on the 2020 and may have to pay close to MSRP, at least initially.

I really want to see if there is a different leather option offered in the 2020 Touring. The dark brown leather in the Touring doesn't do it for me. I think you either love it or not. I'm liking the ivory in the Limited.

·
Banned
145 Posts
If Subaru wants to keep up with the market, they can not let this model run more then May or June. Launching your flagship car late in the year and letting it get old on the market will not improve anything. If they release it late summer. They will have people pulling the trigger on the Explorer, Palisade, and Telluride.
Launching late will only encourage people to pick up the new now then wait. I could be 100% wrong, but I expect announcement to start in feb or march. Orders to start in march or may, deliveries starting in may or June.

At that rate they put their flagship out with every other flagship and get an honest chance to get the new buyers crowd. They will also not have to deal with new cars launches piling up with each other.

·
Registered
590 Posts
I can’t remember exactely where I read it, but Subaru has a mind of their own. They produce far less cars and keep inventory low to not oversell and flood the market to keep resale high. They also never really have huge rebates. I know the 2020 outback is slated for late summer they have done announced that. I would assume they would take orders for the next model run by April or May but where the Ascent was brand new and they wanted it out in June they started pre orders in Feb. The 19 Forester didn’t hit lots until Sept or Oct. I’ve always known Subaru to kind of follow that later in the year release date for the next model release. Maybe some insider could answer this better.

·
Banned
145 Posts
I can’t remember exactely where I read it, but Subaru has a mind of their own. They produce far less cars and keep inventory low to not oversell and flood the market to keep resale high. They also never really have huge rebates. I know the 2020 outback is slated for late summer they have done announced that. I would assume they would take orders for the next model run by April or May but where the Ascent was brand new and they wanted it out in June they started pre orders in Feb. The 19 Forester didn’t hit lots until Sept or Oct. I’ve always known Subaru to kind of follow that later in the year release date for the next model release. Maybe some insider could answer this better.
I have no idea. But to toss the ascent out after every other manufactures releases their new model is a mistake. The forester was a complete redesign which pushed it back from the june to sept.

·
Registered
98 Posts
If I were younger, I would have waited for the second model year. There are bound to be improvements based on user experience. The 2020 will probably be out in 6 or 8 months.

That doesn't mean that I'm not completely happy with my 2019 Touring. The only thing I would change now is the tires and wheels. I tried to get 18" when I ordered it but 20" was the only size for the Touring and it had the other options I wanted.

This is the last new car I will buy. It will probably outlast me.:eek: :tango_face_wink: I did ask if I could add myself to the extended warranty but I got a funny look.

·
Registered
19 Posts
My wife and I are looking into getting an Ascent, but do we get the current 2019 or wait for the 2020. It's my understand the '19 was released about Jan '18, is this correct? Does that mean the '20 will be coming out soon? I realized the manufacturers are all over the calendar with the introduction date of vehicles, be a total new model or a current model. What's the word on the street? :confused::confused:
Keep your eye on the Planet Subaru website. They are reliable predictors of what Subaru is likely to do, and when. If Subaru makes noteworthy design or functional improvements, Planet Subaru calls them out for you.

The 2020 Ascent will be a carryover of the 2019 with new-model “bug” fixes built-in, and perhaps some features that the marketplace demands that were not incorporated in the 2019 model.

·
Registered
965 Posts
In the Indiana factory (SIA), model year changeover usually happens mid-July.
This is incorrect. The plant will be shut down 4th of July for a week, same as they do between Christmas and New Years, but that's actually for maintenance. During this period, the overhead conveyors are pulled down and lubricated.

The Ascent production started in May of this this year, with new models showing up at dealerships in late June. Sold orders for the new car opened in February of 2018.

The 2020 Outback will hit stores in July/August, I anticipate sold orders for that opening in May, about like normal. Production will start in June.

What confuses people is that they think a huge retooling has to be done for model change. The SIA plant has a model change team that all they do is plan for model year changeover. That way when it's time to change things, all they have to do is literally roll the old racks away from the line and roll the new ones in. If there's not a major body change, this can be accomplished in as little as 4 hours in the trim & final shop. With the major body change that's going on now, they're still going to be running some pre-production cars down the line at the same time as the regular production, they'll just put spaces in so no screw ups. What that means is there may be 10 overhead carriers with nothing in them, then they run a couple of pre-pro cars, then 10 more spaces.

·
Registered
965 Posts
No, you did pretty good, and you're pretty accurate.

We don't make huge numbers of excess inventory. We don't play the rebate game (which doesn't mean we don't necessarily have dealer cash, sometimes we do). Outback is scheduled for July/ August. The reason we started orders for the Ascent in February was simply because we had no clue how many people would actually want one, and with more than 15,000 orders taken before the first production car ever rolled off the line, that gave us the information needed.

The minor detail that we still can't keep them on our lots, and if you want more than a premium, you're still having to order it is a good indicator that demand for this car is still much higher than supply.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
The 2019 Ascent was delivered to owners as early as late-June 2018. Generally, the next MY cars are rolled out in Q3 or Q4 of the yearly calendar; I supposed it has to do w/ financial data purpose, showing a potential increase in sales at the end of the year.

For practical purpose, you need to state your objective(s) (or concern) so we can help you; you're not saying much at the moment, other than you consider buying a 2020 MY.

·
Registered
118 Posts
The 2019 Ascent was delivered to owners as early as late-June 2018. Generally, the next MY cars are rolled out in Q3 or Q4 of the yearly calendar; I supposed it has to do w/ financial data purpose, showing a potential increase in sales at the end of the year.

For practical purpose, you need to state your objective(s) (or concern) so we can help you; you're not saying much at the moment, other than you consider buying a 2020 MY.
My guess is that he's wondering when the 2020 will likely come out and if it's worth waiting on them? For example, are there going to be notable improvements or is it much of the same?

·
Registered
14 Posts

I'd love to see if there are different leather options in the Touring or if there is a way to add ventilated seats to the Limited in the 2020 version, as an option. If so, it's worth waiting for.

·
Banned
145 Posts
Ok. I think we are talking over each other here. What time frame does everyone think the ascent 2020 will be order-able and deliverable?

·
Registered
118 Posts
For me as someone in the market, it’s a question of to be now or wait for the 2020? When will the 2020 arrive and what improvements are made?

·
Registered
3,836 Posts
I wonder what financing incentives and or rebates will exist for the 2019 vehicles once more design detail and the pre-production order options are available? If there are not major design changes (I doubt there will be), this will likely pressure some incentives to move out the 2019 vehicles. Yes they sell well on their own but without incentives for them why wouldn't a buyer wait for the 2020 version and the added value they bring (unless they really need the vehicle right away). I am hoping that sometime in February Subaru begins some incentive program for the 2019. I know Subaru typically does not offer much, but if implemented it could move out the existing inventory increasing the 2020 pre-production orders. I suspect dealers will want to reduce the overlapping inventory. The only benefit a dealer has with an older model is its availability for the drive away customer. I doubt Subaru will be changing the price much due to significant competition from other manufacturers. The price may increase in certain markets due to some states stupidly (imo) implementing California standards (this will add thousands to the price and reduce number of units sold), but all competitors will face the same pricing concerns.

·
Banned
145 Posts
So I looked into some refreshes in the past to see if there is any delay after the refresh.

Here is the results.

2017 impreza refresh
Order started 10/18/16 arrival in 12/16
2018 Impreza
Order started 6/26/17 arrival in 9/17

2015 Legacy refresh
Orders started 5/19/14 arrival aug/sept
2016 Legacy
Order started 6/13/15 arrival 8/10/15

2015 Outback refresh
orders started 6/12/14 arrival august 2014
2016 outback
orders started 6/13/15 arrival 8/10/15

2013 Crosstrek new launch
orders started 8/15/2012 arrive in late Sept 2012
2014 Crosstrek
orders started 8/23/2013 arrival late Sept/early Oct 2013

Based on the above information, the 2020 Subaru ascent should be available for orders in April/may of 2019 and arrival should be June/July 2019.

Or am I missing something?

·
Registered
118 Posts
So I looked into some refreshes in the past to see if there is any delay after the refresh.

Here is the results.

2017 impreza refresh
Order started 10/18/16 arrival in 12/16
2018 Impreza
Order started 6/26/17 arrival in 9/17

2015 Legacy refresh
Orders started 5/19/14 arrival aug/sept
2016 Legacy
Order started 6/13/15 arrival 8/10/15

2015 Outback refresh
orders started 6/12/14 arrival august 2014
2016 outback
orders started 6/13/15 arrival 8/10/15

2013 Crosstrek new launch
orders started 8/15/2012 arrive in late Sept 2012
2014 Crosstrek
orders started 8/23/2013 arrival late Sept/early Oct 2013

Based on the above information, the 2020 Subaru ascent should be available for orders in April/may of 2019 and arrival should be June/July 2019.

Or am I missing something?
Did your research happen to indicate what kind of changes each model year typically brought?

1 - 20 of 292 Posts