Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there a Forester forum that’s awesome like this one? Especially one that’s focused on the 2019. I’m trying to decide if I want a smaller Subaru. I have a mini van now so that’s why I was focused on the ascent but I don’t really NEED the third row. Thank you!!

·
Registered
646 Posts
I considered that but not that much has changed with the Forester as far as looks or powertrain. It does sit on the SGP which makes a big difference. The new tech (facial scan for interior settings) is cool but limited on the touring model. Engine gets a little more HP and no more turbo. For a little more(unless you go for loaded limited or touring) you can get a Ascent

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you! I love the ascent but since I don’t need the extra room, the Forester is looking better considering it’s $10,000 less, better mpg and little cheaper overall maintenance lol. I like the looks of the new one, reminds me a bit of the ascent.

·
Registered
932 Posts
Fozzy is/was based off the Impreza previously, so it was a little tighter inside. Also, I don't believe you can get a Turbo anymore. Godspeed, XT. :(

The Outback is larger and longer and just as functional - and comes with a 3.6 engine!

·
Registered
646 Posts
Everything is based on the SGP platform. So the basic foundation is the same for Impreza to the Ascent. They stretch it and strengthen it in the Ascents case. All the interiors share the same design language too. My Ascent feels like a very big Impreza IMO. I know I have a new Impreza also.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
The current Forester is so small though, designed to fit small people. It's hard to get in and out, particularly with people behind you. I'm 5'11''; 170lbs and driving my wife's Forester can be dreadful sometimes, traveling far.

·
Registered
932 Posts
Yeah, I'm familiar with the SGP, but the sizing of it is still roughly close to the previous Gen Forester that ended in 2018.

It was a little tighter. I like the cargo layout of the Outback better.

·
Registered
965 Posts
The current Forester is so small though, designed to fit small people. It's hard to get in and out, particularly with people behind you. I'm 5'11''; 170lbs and driving my wife's Forester can be dreadful sometimes, traveling far.
What year?

Ours is a 2015, and I've got you by 3" and 80 lbs.

Mind you, I don't particularly like driving more than 400 miles at a time anymore, but ours does fine with that. (I got ruined on long driving when I was moving down here - 800 miles each way, and I did it 5 times. Twice in a 24' Penske.)

·
Registered
224 Posts
I'm 6'3" (albeit lean), and have driven our 2014 Forester from Indiana to Washington state (in 2 days!) and also to Texas, and multiple shorter road trips over 4 years. There is ample legroom and headroom in the 2014-2018 Forester for taller people. In my opinion, the Forester is one of the most space efficient vehicles in its class. The seat bottoms could be more comfortable, but driving 2,400 miles over 20 hrs in a day with only fuel breaks is not going to be a joy in anything this side of a Rolls Royce.

·
Premium Member
565 Posts
I'm 6'3" (albeit lean), and have driven our 2014 Forester from Indiana to Washington state (in 2 days!) and also to Texas, and multiple shorter road trips over 4 years. There is ample legroom and headroom in the 2014-2018 Forester for taller people. In my opinion, the Forester is one of the most space efficient vehicles in its class. The seat bottoms could be more comfortable, but driving 20 hrs in a day with only fuel breaks is not going to be a joy in anything this side of a Rolls Royce.
Agreed. I was dead set on the Forester Black Edition and then they announced the Ascent...

I'm 6'5" and headroom and everything was perfect in the Forester, but my left leg didn't have as much room because of the wheel well / fake pedal. I also didn't love being lower to the ground/ride height.

I really like the look of the 2019 and especially the sport. If you don't need the Ascent, I think it will be a great little brother/sister for the Ascent ;)

Reactions: meyeracer06
1 - 12 of 12 Posts