Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Driving out of town 6 hrs from home on Labor Day weekend. 2019 Ascent (76K miles) is vibrating, rumbling & feels like transmission slipping too, called home Subsru dealer & they can’t help other than tell me to get codes at an O’Reilly Autoparts. Nearest dealer will be closed all weekend. Codes reading p0300 (4/6) Random misfire detected and p0304 (5/6) Cylinder Misfire detected. Subaru replaced our first transmission under the 30k miles mark. Now this. Had the car in dealer 3 weeks ago because I thought I felt slipping again in 2nd transmission. Tech said they couldn’t replicate what I experienced & no diagnostic codes. Clearly I did sense correctly something is wrong, any advice?

·
Administrator
10,955 Posts
Have you had your spark plugs replaced?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not that I know of but the car has been regularly maintained. Was serviced -oil change, tire rotation, fluids checked & given an inspection 3 weeks ago after I sensed & conveyed to dealer that it felt like the transmission was slipping a handful of times over the summer.

·
Registered
3,715 Posts
Not that I know of but the car has been regularly maintained. Was serviced -oil change, tire rotation, fluids checked & given an inspection 3 weeks ago after I sensed & conveyed to dealer that it felt like the transmission was slipping a handful of times over the summer.
what was the dealer's response to your expressed concerns of the transmission after they had a chance to look at the vehicle?

·
Administrator
10,955 Posts
Failing plugs may cause the codes you're experiencing. Mine were performing horribly (but no codes) at similar miles. I gained 4+ mpg after having them finally changed.

As for the CVT slipping... can you define what you're seeing? The CVT will vary ratio quite considerably making the rpm's go up and down and all over the place in different conditions. That's totally normal. Slipping is usually noticed as a quick RPM jump and return to normal (in a second or two period), almost always also with a concurrent metal on metal screech.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
No metal on metal screech. Fingers crossed it’s the plugs. Driving home today with every light on dashboard illuminated. Lots of vibration & shaking at speeds below 50 mph. Better on highway at high speeds. Even some sound like a rough muffler /exhaust when at low speeds or idle. Taking directly to Subaru for evaluation.

·
Administrator
10,955 Posts
Could be the AWD transfer clutch... 😔

But could be other things like a bearing somewhere, including the propeller shaft hanger bearing.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Car has been at the dealer all morning. Apparently, they've checked all the obvious things and are moving on now to do a carbon cleaning on it? If that doesn't work - not sure what's next...

·
Registered
2020 CWP Touring
1,164 Posts
Is the problem truly intermittent? If you can get it to happen reliably, I'd insist on going on a test drive with the dealer. Have the technician ride with you and then go make the car act up. The behavior you describe is definitely not a normal thing.

I think the owner's manual recommends a spark plug change at 60,000 miles. So it could definitely be those if they haven't already been replaced.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Not the spark plugs and they did the carbon cleaning and apparently did not help the situation. The problem is now not intermittent, it’s constant. they’re giving me a loaner tomorrow because they’re “having trouble diagnosing the problem” according to the service manager who called me this afternoon.

·
Administrator
10,955 Posts
I am still thinking one of these two things.

Could be the AWD transfer clutch... 😔

But could be other things like a bearing somewhere, including the propeller shaft hanger bearing.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I was able to pick up the provided loaner this morning and will have it as long as they have my car. Heard back from dealer late day that they are still working on the problem. The latest investigation is with the fuel injectors. But they have to wait and get approval from Subaru that this will be covered under the warranty. Per my encouragement & complaints, I was given an extended gold wrap warranty when my transmission went out around 30K miles. They have to get Subaru to approve the next round of investigation since I'm guessing fuel injectors are expensive? Told me it could take 1-3 days to get approval before they can try it. Not sure what to wish for at this point.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
So still waiting on the car to be returned to me. 8 days later. The latest is they had to wait for fuel injector parts to be approved by Subaru to be covered under the extended gold wrap warranty & then be shipped. They reported late yesterday that the parts are now in and they are fairly sure this will rectify the problem. Said I would have car back tonight. No one called. Feel like they are still struggling to diagnose the problem.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
sooo, got a voicemail tonight from Subaru - the fuel injection fix didn't fix the issue. The service tech that called me said I'm being transferred up to her manager. What does that mean? 2.5 weeks later and no resolution. Advice?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Some of your symptoms sound like mine. See my post titled "Thunk and rumble". I followed Robert Mauro's hint on the AWD clutch. The service guy just now called me to say they could duplicate my symptoms but won't get to diagnosing until tomorrow or Monday. I suggested to him that maybe it was the AWD clutch and he said that was more likely to exhibit the rumble while it's moving and mine does it when it's sitting still. Good luck with yours.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The fuel injector parts arrived & were installed - but didn’t solve the issue. It’s in the hand of the service foreman? Who was taking a look at it today. No word yet. Frustrated.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Yes, they looked at those, then a carbon cleanout, then fuel injectors replaced & now the latest, ordered new Engine Control Module (ECM) - installing tomorrow. They feel strongly that this is the fix! I don’t have much confidence. Just glad I demanded the Gold Plus Security Warranty (extended) when the transmission went out @ 30k

1 - 20 of 26 Posts