Subaru Ascent Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings,

Not intending on beating a dead horse here but it appears our 2019 Ascent is going to require another new transmission. First one was replaced at 15K no problems. Dealer was great to work with. Well now that transmission has started slipping and dealer is saying it may have to be replaced again. Recall work was done last month but still experiencing issues. We have the dreaded Aug build date and I am beginning to feel this car may be cursed. Any ideas or suggestions moving forward? Dealer has been more than accommodating however the thought of having to take this vehicle in every 12-14k miles to swap the transmission seems um.. out of line?

·
Registered
43 Posts
That’s weird! 2 transmissions for a 15k miles car? I thought Subaru already addressed the issue with the new transmission? Its either that car has a BIG issues or it’s just how you drive your car. Just sayin! Enweyz I hope everything will be okay.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, my wife drives it 80 miles round trip m-f all highway. I could see towing heavy stuff all the time or something but thats not the case. Its 2 transmissions now approx every 14-15k miles. first at like 15500 and now number 2 at 28k

·
Super Moderator
6,359 Posts
Greetings,

Not intending on beating a dead horse here but it appears our 2019 Ascent is going to require another new transmission. First one was replaced at 15K no problems. Dealer was great to work with. Well now that transmission has started slipping and dealer is saying it may have to be replaced again. Recall work was done last month but still experiencing issues. We have the dreaded Aug build date and I am beginning to feel this car may be cursed. Any ideas or suggestions moving forward? Dealer has been more than accommodating however the thought of having to take this vehicle in every 12-14k miles to swap the transmission seems um.. out of line?
Hi, if the recall was done after the CVT started slipping, then the resolution was to replace the CVT and harness.

Let me explain a little about what is happening. Some of the original harnesses were causing improper signalling to the CVT's Transmission Control Unit, allowing the chain to slip, as you experienced. That would damage the CVT, and require a replacement. Very early on, the harnesses were not being replaced, meaning that the situation could recur.

The recall is supposed to test ALL such cars, whether they got a new CVT or not. But, in the event the CVT has already slipped, and the dealer can replicate that or find codes that say it happened, the CVT and harness are supposed to be replaced.

There's a lot more information here:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Interesting, thanks for that input. Apparently something happened in there again and they are replacing everything once again. I have the appointment scheduled for tomorrow already so hats off to Don Miller East Subaru. Those guys have been just awesome!

·
Registered
49 Posts
When was your transmission replaced the first time? My guess is that they didn’t replace the harness the first time, and that it subsequently failed after the recall while testing fine during the recall. If that’s the case then the bad harnesses are still liable to fail due to the progressive build up of corrosion over time. If that’s true then Subaru will eventually extend the warranty on the 19 Ascent power train, much like they did on the early CVT Outbacks and Foresters.

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
That's my thought, too...the first replacement may have been before they actually identified that the harness was the root of the slipping issues, not the transmission, itself. If it was one of the "bad" harnesses, it could have subsequently damaged the new transmission, too.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm not exactly sure. First transmission was changed the end of July 2019. Took vehicle in 2 weeks ago for recall work, trans check, reflash TCM and PCV valve swap. Everything checked good at that time but slipping started in earnest this week. Dealer scheduled swap #2 for tomorrow. Not sure what happened in there but they jumped right on it and are addressing it once again so you gotta love that. Just bummed its been in for 2 major repairs already thats all

·
Registered
810 Posts
I'm not exactly sure. First transmission was changed the end of July 2019. Took vehicle in 2 weeks ago for recall work, trans check, reflash TCM and PCV valve swap. Everything checked good at that time but slipping started in earnest this week. Dealer scheduled swap #2 for tomorrow. Not sure what happened in there but they jumped right on it and are addressing it once again so you gotta love that. Just bummed its been in for 2 major repairs already thats all
I totally understand. I've been lucky with my July '18 build, but if I had major issues I'm sure I'd feel much differently. There really is a fine line between being satified and being irate. My 2012 Outback suffered from a bad torque converter (stall issue - well documented and covered by warranty) and a cracked exhaust manifold which I paid $1100 out of pocket for over 94k miles. I had been spoiled by cars that you just add gas and change the oil (except for my '74 Mercedes). I eventually doubled down and bought a 2019 Ascent. It's been pretty good to me.

It looks like your particular car suffered from bad timing with the first transmission replacement. It was replaced before there was better understanding of the real problem. I'd feel pretty confident that it will be all gravy after the second replacement.

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
July 2019 was way before they identified the need to recall for the harness...so I still suspect that you got your double shot from the old harness likely having been kept when they did the first replacement.

·
Registered
49 Posts
July 2019 was way before they identified the need to recall for the harness...so I still suspect that you got your double shot from the old harness likely having been kept when they did the first replacement.
Im not sure that’s true... according to the NHTSA Subaru started using a new harness part number for the 2020 MY and used the new TCM software starting in May 2020. It’s more likely that the dealership messed up and put the old harness back on.

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
It’s more likely that the dealership messed up and put the old harness back on.
Absolutely a possibility...and a costly mistake, if so.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I need to check my build date. I have a 2019 Premium and I’m scheduled for the CVT recall repair tomorrow. I have 32,500 miles and I’ve noticed in the last month a slipping and loss of power when going up hills. I’m worried- I’m an itinerant teacher of the blind which means I travel to several schools each day to see students, so I need reliable wheels.
:(

·
Registered
5 Posts
Just found my build date: February 2019....
I need to check my build date. I have a 2019 Premium and I’m scheduled for the CVT recall repair tomorrow. I have 32,500 miles and I’ve noticed in the last month a slipping and loss of power when going up hills. I’m worried- I’m an itinerant teacher of the blind which means I travel to several schools each day to see students, so I need reliable wheels.
:(

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Labbeperry, if it's slipping, that should be caught by the recall testing showing codes. If there was actual slipping, you'll be getting a new harness and new transmission. The harness is the root of the issue.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts