Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few questions for all you smart forum people out there. We will be receiving our TAB 400 Boondock teardrop camper in a few weeks. When towing a trailer, my understanding is that I should turn off the collision avoidance system, the lane assist and reverse automatic braking. Is there anything else I should be doing and does anyone have any tips? I have never towed before.
My understanding is that the dealer should not put on either a weight distribution hitch or sway bars. Just level the trailer with my factory supplied hitch.
All suggestions and comments appreciated. Thank you.

·
Super Moderator
2,425 Posts
Correct on the wdh. Just tow it level by the ball with safety chains and a power cord.
Turning off collision avoidance may help prevent sudden braking, which can be dangerous when towing. However, be sure to manually suddenly brake if necessary to avoid collision. I’d use the collision avoidance at your own discretion...
LKA is a good thing to turn off to prevent unnecessary sway. RAB will probably disable itself but if you preemptively do it you’ll avoid an embarassing screech when backing up.

·
Registered
573 Posts
I turn off lane keep assist and lane departure warning. Otherwise I keep eyesight going, if you have your brake controller setup correctly sudden braking shouldnt be an issue. I even use adaptive cruise in heavy traffic so I can watch around me as much as in front of me.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts