Subaru Ascent Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Subaru Ascent Touring
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking of putting Cooper Discoverer SRX/245/50/20 on my '19 Ascent Touring. I've only got 18.6K mi. on the OEM tires and they are all over the road in heavy rain!? Comments, Please?

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
1,987 Posts
I have 20K miles on my OEM tires and have not experienced that issue in any heavy rain I've driven through. Still at 7-8/32. But if you are uncomfortable, there are several threads here that discuss various tire options.

·
Registered
683 Posts
I am thinking of putting Cooper Discoverer SRX/245/50/20 on my '19 Ascent Touring. I've only got 18.6K mi. on the OEM tires and they are all over the road in heavy rain!? Comments, Please?
I have just over 20K miles on my 2019 Limited with about the same wear as Jim mentioned above and have not noticed hydroplaning on wet roads. The handling has always been good in all conditions.

Cooper tires are always my go to brand after the OEMs wear out. I've found them to ride better and last longer than the originals.

·
Registered
2019 Subaru Ascent Touring
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have 20K miles on my OEM tires and have not experienced that issue in any heavy rain I've driven through. Still at 7-8/32. But if you are uncomfortable, there are several threads here that discuss various tire options.
[/QUOTE]

Thanks Jim! the OEM's are Falken Zies. ZE-001; the data tables on the tire site says both 245/50/20 And 245/60/20 were used as OEM's on the '19 Ascent; apparently the 245/50/20 is what is spec'd for the Touring Edition (which I have) I just measured my tread depth and its at 4/32" with only 18,600 Miles. I do live in the mountains and curvy, poorly banked roads are the norm. that, coupled with my "sporty" driving style would certainly explain SOME of the excessive wear. the only significant difference I can see between the 245/50 vs 245/60 is that the 50 is fewer revolutions-per-mile (slightly larger circumference). My guess is that the decision to put use the 50's was to squeeze out a little more MPG and a smoother ride.

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
The OEM size for 20" wheels is 245/50R20 on all trims or option packages that include the 20" wheels. There's never been a 60 aspect ratio. My OEM tires have between 7 and 8 32nds at 20K miles as noted. I am in the process of replacing them, but not because I don't like the tires...my right rear has no less than three pieces of metal in it in ways that make it unrepairable (including a 1/4" lag bolt" and at 7/32 I'm at the cusp for doing only one replacement tire. There is no "shaving" available around here. So I'm doing all four compliments of my mother's life insurance. (which oddly was within five bucks of the cost of the new tires) But as noted, I've had zero issues with hydroplaning. You have, but if you're at 4/32", that's pretty much to be expected since that's exactly where replacement is recommended. Cooper makes nice tires. I opted for the BFG T/A because it's similar to the Michelin Defenders I prefer, but actually available in 245/50R20.

Reactions: Wangle

·
Registered
2020 CWP Touring
301 Posts
The 245/60s are used with 18" wheels (245/60R18). The 245/50s are used with 20" wheels (245/50R20). The 4/32" tread depth is certainly a significant factor in the hydroplaning problems reported here! Our 2020 model has about 4k miles on it now and the tread is down past 9/32", so at least 1/32" has been worn. At that rate, we'll be legally worn at about 32k miles (which is more or less what I'd expect for a tire with such a low treadwear rating (320). We drive fairly easily and don't live in aggressive terrain -- with the mountains and driving style for the original poster, I think being close to legal wear-out by 20k miles is not unexpected for OEM contract tires.

I would be interested to know how you like the Cooper Discoverer SRX, if you do get those!

·
Registered
511 Posts
I have to possibly decide whether to replace two OE falkens, or spend slightly more and get four coopers/generals, leaning toward the latter... have not been impressed with the ascent in rain with the OE 20" tires, w/ approx 5K on them. car is fine with the 18-in winter tires in the rain.
I find the car very unsettling in the rain, and I'm not impressed with the falkens in the dry, other than they give a relatively quiet comfortable ride. I honestly think in most conditions, my Ascent handles better with the 18 inch winter tires, which in theory should be softer, and have a thicker sidewall, which should work against them.

·
Super Moderator
7,425 Posts
I have to possibly decide whether to replace two OE falkens, or spend slightly more and get four coopers/generals, leaning toward the latter... have not been impressed with the ascent in rain with the OE 20" tires, w/ approx 5K on them. car is fine with the 18-in winter tires in the rain.
I find the car very unsettling in the rain, and I'm not impressed with the falkens in the dry, other than they give a relatively quiet comfortable ride. I honestly think in most conditions, my Ascent handles better with the 18 inch winter tires, which in theory should be softer, and have a thicker sidewall, which should work against them.
Get the Coopers or something more suited to your needs.

While running on my Kumhos, I went through heavy rain and watched a VW try to go around a truck and I. The VW did a 720, hydroplaning in front of me, taking up two lanes (and then the grass shoulder) until eventually skidding to a stop. I had to swerve from the far left lane to the far right, and the Kumhos kept me planted.

·
Registered
2020 CWP Touring
301 Posts
We've driven through some rain on our Falkens, and have been pretty pleased. They have relatively wide circumferential grooves, which work in their favor. Obviously, tread depth is a significant factor in hydroplane performance.

The Michelin Premier LTX on our Acura MDX have been quite good. They haven't lasted as long as I'd like, but their performance has actually been very consistent across their wear life. I'd think about these for our Ascent, but they are pretty pricey. I guess you generally get what you pay for, especially with tires.

·
Registered
511 Posts
I just spoke to the dealer a few minutes ago, and told them I didn't want falkens, and that I was going to replace all four. The tires are at 7/16, so they're just out of spec for me to replace one. Although she couldn't explain to me why replacing two would be acceptable as opposed to replacing one or all four.
So she's going to investigate some other options, including Cooper, cost-wise for me. I did tell them that I would like them to match a local tire chain price and she said she probably could. If so I'll have the dealership do it, otherwise I'll take it to the chain, because they have more locations, including several closer to my house, should something go wrong. But I don't mind building up some goodwill with the dealership if they can match/get close to the chain price.

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
Percy, my dealer's tire prices were almost to the dollar competitive with my Costco order...with the exception of not including lifetime balancing/rotation and road hazard. They almost have to be these days with so many tire sources available including online.

·
Registered
755 Posts
If you live near a Discount Tire store, I would highly recommend using them. Their service is second to none. They will 90% of the time have the lowest price and will work with you on the other 10% of the time, especially in Tomball Texas. They will always rotate and balance your tires and are very nice about it without any fuss what so ever. In fact they always treat me nice even if I am getting a flat fixed for free. If you live too far away from a discount tire then...sorry.

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
No Discount Tire in this neck of the woods, RobetD...online only.

·
Super Moderator
7,425 Posts
My last two sets of Ascent tires have come from @Discount Tire Direct (so did my Outback tires). Besides them being instrumental in helping me find what 17" rims fit the Ascent, at their expense, Matt (who you can usually reach via messaging them here) has been a great help with all my needs, and dozens of others I've sent his way to get set up with a nice off-road setup. They'll drop ship anywhere, whether to your door, or your favorite installer. I've had ton of rims shipped to my door, and all but the Shadows picked up to go back, five tires shipped here, five to an installer in NJ, and back when I had my Outback, two sets of four tires shipped to my local Subaru dealership. Four whole sets of tires, two spares, and more rims than I want to think about.

Anyways, short version is, Matt is intimately aware of what fits the Ascent and what works well, based on the dozens of setups he's helped with - and he'll ship them anywhere, and you'll get tracking info so you and the installer will know when to expect them.

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
Bummer...Discount Tire needs to go national...
They are national, but not "brick and mortar" national. I'm sure they have business reasons that make sense to them for not being in some geographic, but yes, it would be nice if they had a physical presence here in the Northeast for sure.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Thank you all for the suggestions. I tend to use Town Fair for my tires. Decades of excellent service, and they always give me a better than advertised deal because I've been going there forever. However that being said I'm having the dealer do the tires this time, and I'm going with 4 general rt43s this time around (I put a similar model on my MKZ after the pirelli zero nero's went south on me, and I love them). I'm a little concerned the discoverer and adventure Cooper's will be a little bit noisier/rougher, although I've had great experience with their CS3 and 4 series.

My dealership is about $40 more than my chain store, but again, in hopes of having them work with me if there is a questionable issue ever, I have no issue paying a little more for the tires there. Plus I don't have to bring the car home and set up an appointment with another place, since it's currently in the dealership bay.

At some point I'll report back on how these tires are. I hate to dispose of three perfectly good falkens with only 5-6k miles on them, but it's almost $600 for two falkens, versus only a bit more, for the four Generals.

·
Registered
777 Posts
They are national, but not "brick and mortar" national. I'm sure they have business reasons that make sense to them for not being in some geographic, but yes, it would be nice if they had a physical presence here in the Northeast for sure.
~400 stores in 2002
~1100 stores in 2020

They are getting there! Slow, steady, responsible growth.

Oh yeah, here's the discount tire sheet on tread depths.

Yeah, at 4/32" you're in the danger zone with poor stopping distance and hydroplaning. Nothing to do with the Ascent and nothing to do with the Falkens themselves either. You just don't have enough "channel" to shoot the water out the back quick enough to keep the rubber on the road.

·
Registered
755 Posts
Thank you all for the suggestions. I tend to use Town Fair for my tires. Decades of excellent service, and they always give me a better than advertised deal because I've been going there forever. However that being said I'm having the dealer do the tires this time, and I'm going with 4 general rt43s this time around (I put a similar model on my MKZ after the pirelli zero nero's went south on me, and I love them). I'm a little concerned the discoverer and adventure Cooper's will be a little bit noisier/rougher, although I've had great experience with their CS3 and 4 series.

My dealership is about $40 more than my chain store, but again, in hopes of having them work with me if there is a questionable issue ever, I have no issue paying a little more for the tires there. Plus I don't have to bring the car home and set up an appointment with another place, since it's currently in the dealership bay.

At some point I'll report back on how these tires are. I hate to dispose of three perfectly good falkens with only 5-6k miles on them, but it's almost $600 for two falkens, versus only a bit more, for the four Generals.
I went with the General RT43s too. I had to get mine before the AT tires came out for our 20" size. They seem to hold up fine in the pouring rain and they seem to last. I had one blowout with them but cant really fault the tire when the rim had an even bigger hole. My next set will be a copy of the other Robert's set up. I really like the BFG AT tires.

·
Super Moderator
7,425 Posts
My next set will be a copy of the other Robert's set up. I really like the BFG AT tires.
They are very heavy. The Liquid Metal Shadows help make up for it, but, if you're not doing really crazy things, I'd look at both of the Falken Wildpeak series that fit the Ascent. It will be a lot less of a hit on your gas mileage. ;)

1 - 20 of 35 Posts