Subaru Ascent Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2019 Ascent Touring leased from new. I have 7,120 miles on it with a 36,000 mile / 3year lease contract. I have exactly 1 year left and I am very certain I will be considerably under the miles at turn in. It has had the usual battery issues we all know about - especially not starting after being unused for a couple of weeks. It charges back up fine and my dealer said there are no dead cells. I think the battery was never robust enough - again, I think many of you agree. i carry a jump box in the vehicle.

I talked with SOA and they were very understanding and sent me a coupon for parts/services for $250 to use at the dealership. Sorry for the long explanation, but here is the issue for me - I called my dealers parts department and they quoted me a price for a recommended replacement at $386.10 just for the battery - not including installation. I traded in a Mercedes for this deal, so nothing usually shocks me (it cost close to $500 for a battery at MB). This Subaru price shocked me!

What would you suggest I do? I am not sure if I will buy out this car ($27,600) at lease end or get something different.

My wife loves her older Outback so I think I can use the $250 on it'

Thanks for your opinions -

·
Registered
2,793 Posts
I have a 2019 Ascent Touring leased from new. I have 7,120 miles on it with a 36,000 mile / 3year lease contract. I have exactly 1 year left and I am very certain I will be considerably under the miles at turn in. It has had the usual battery issues we all know about - especially not starting after being unused for a couple of weeks. It charges back up fine and my dealer said there are no dead cells. I think the battery was never robust enough - again, I think many of you agree. i carry a jump box in the vehicle.

I talked with SOA and they were very understanding and sent me a coupon for parts/services for $250 to use at the dealership. Sorry for the long explanation, but here is the issue for me - I called my dealers parts department and they quoted me a price for a recommended replacement at $386.10 just for the battery - not including installation. I traded in a Mercedes for this deal, so nothing usually shocks me (it cost close to $500 for a battery at MB). This Subaru price shocked me!

What would you suggest I do? I am not sure if I will buy out this car ($27,600) at lease end or get something different.

Run from that battery deal. Go out and purchase a battery of your choosing. Dead cells are not the only way to gauge a battery's health.

·
Registered
2020 Ascent Touring
581 Posts

Considering yours is leased and you're uncertain about buy-out I'd find a less expensive battery like at a warehouse club. If you spend on an AGM battery you'll be returning the lease upgraded from what they require.

·
Registered
463 Posts
IF the outback battery is the same size, get the ascent's battery replaced at minimal cost/free and then swap it yourself into the outback when it is time to turn the lease in.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks to everyone for their advice! You have given me some things to consider on this. The Subaru brand has been good to us over the years- especially with my wife's Outback. My daughter also has an Impreza Sport that has really held up under a brutal 4 years of her flogging it in northern Ohio winters. I honestly don't think I could ask for more. I really want to stick with the Ascent and this forum has always had members that make that decision easier.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Subaru still sell the white/translucent Panasonic battery or went w/ Johnson Controls battery?

·
Administrator
9,239 Posts
My 2019 battery (installed in May 2018) was a Johnson Controls battery. AFAIK, all the recent model years are.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Here is mine fresh out of my 2020 Touring. I replaced it with a Platinum DieHard which has been fabulous.

Attachments

·
Registered
680 Posts
My OE battery has not failed me yet, but there have been cold mornings where it doesn't robustly engage the starter, but it always fires up. I'm going in for ( another:( ) dealership visit ( shuddering transmission again)and will have them check the battery situation out. Should I push the battery issue with the dealership if it comes back compromised?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Percy, my battery/vehicle is barely 6 months old so Subaru kind of had to do something. I would suggest mentioning your concerns for sure.
In my case, SOA was nice enough to give me a coupon for free service for 30 bucks more than what I paid for the replacement battery. Including core charge.
Hope this helps!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts