Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just took possession of a 2019 Ascent Touring model and noticed an issue with the navigation speed limit readout icon on the display. It reads local speed limits properly, except in 30 MPH zones it reads 25 MPH. I guess it is not that big of a deal but it should read accurately and does not. Makes me wonder what other speeds may be inaccurate as well. Any feedback on this? Thanks.

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Limited
803 Posts
Yes, this is a problem with the nav having the wrong speed limit data. The speed limit on my street is 35mph but the nav says it's 65. It seems to me that it's wrong about 30% of the time on city streets. There is probably a way to report these errors.

·
Registered
265 Posts
You can start by checking to see if your Nav is up to date on its software. If not, that could help with this.

·
Registered
689 Posts
A very common complaint of the factory nav system:

https://www.ascentforums.com/forum/...e/5371-road-speed-limits-shown.html#post73715

It's a matter of TomTom pushing community-level corrections to Harman Kardon.

As Robert.Mauro suggested, forward the corrections to TomTom, and hopefully they'll get it out to HK for Subaru's next update.

In reality, though, this can be a problem with virtually any device that reports speed limits, speed-traps, red-light cameras, etc. be it a stand-alone or integrated into the vehicle. Sometimes folks win on this one, sometimes they don't, even with newly pushed updates. There are areas local to me which have correct PSL that even switch over when School Zones are active. There are also areas where the limits are way, way off.

It really depends on how much effort the vendor puts into registering the updated information.

I used to have an aftermarket GPS-enabled interior rearview mirror which would audibly warn of overspeed-PSL, speed-traps, and red-light cameras. That particular vendor was tremendously responsive as their customer-base overseas was small (the device was very expensive for its time) and the one here in the States was even smaller. They eventually sold the database to another vendor for use with that vendor's proprietary devices, and that one, despite ongoing subscription costs, was slower to react.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I just took possession of a 2019 Ascent Touring model and noticed an issue with the navigation speed limit readout icon on the display. It reads local speed limits properly, except in 30 MPH zones it reads 25 MPH. I guess it is not that big of a deal but it should read accurately and does not. Makes me wonder what other speeds may be inaccurate as well. Any feedback on this? Thanks.

Here is what my speed limit icon said the other day.

Attachments

·
Registered
73 Posts
I am surprised that any manufacturer would put this TomTom navigation in their cars. It's comically bad, and can be laughed at since there's always Google Maps and Android Auto.

·
Administrator
10,987 Posts
Settings change...

Here is what my speed limit icon said the other day.
Go into the settings and change it from KPH to MPH. If it switches back, then you need to download and install the latest firmware.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Go into the settings and change it from KPH to MPH. If it switches back, then you need to download and install the latest firmware.

I guess this explains why I was seeing a speed limit of 112 on one of our highways, which would equal 70 mph. It would save me from explaining to the officer that I was just following the speed limit information provided by my new Ascent. :grin:

Reactions: Robert.Mauro

·
Registered
10 Posts
It's not in KPH, it's in MPH. Earlier, before I took the picture, it was reading the correct speed limit and the next thing I noticed it was incorrect. It hasn't done it since, so maybe it needs an update. I'll have them check when I have my first oil change done.

Thanks!

·
Administrator
10,987 Posts
Alas, yes, that is your problem. Here's what you need to know...

It's not in KPH, it's in MPH. Earlier, before I took the picture, it was reading the correct speed limit and the next thing I noticed it was incorrect. It hasn't done it since, so maybe it needs an update. I'll have them check when I have my first oil change done.

Thanks!
Sorry, I should have went into more detail. AFAIK, there's zero places in the United States where a 120mph speed limit is recorded in Tom Tom's maps.

Some NON updated head units have a glitch where they randomly switch the *driver center screen readout* to kph and then back to mph. 120 KPH is 75mph - sound about the right speed limit? Maps app readout is unaffected.

On the affected head units, it literally does not matter what units setting you select, whether auto, KPH, or MPH. You will either have (a) kph only, or what you are experiencing (b) the unit will switch from mph to kph to mph, over and over again, seemingly randomly. This may be three times in a day, or once in 2 months or anything in between.

The recent firmware update fixes this problem, which I have confirmed with 3,500 miles of testing and driving.

So, your problem, as you are describing it, is due to a bug that affects some of the head units that haven't been updated. There were only a tiny handful of head units that exhibited this problem.

SOLUTION 01:
Since you're going to the dealer, have them update the head unit. They may NOT be aware of this issue, but, I spent a lot of time working through this with SoA, my dealership and our regional Ascent tech by phone, with videos, with testing and via emails.

The relevant TSB, which does cover the fix for this, is: 15-236-18, released January 7th, 2019.
(short version: have them apply the firmware update)

SOLUTION 02:
Do it yourself, if you're bored. Get a fast USB 3.x stick, go to this site (link), create an account, enter your VIN, and download the updater builder. Run it on your computer by following the instructions here (link). Install it to your car's head unit via what those instructions indicate, and, voila!

(short version: you can apply the firmware update)

BAD NEWS:
Where the speed limit data is simply wrong (eg: reporting 25mph in a 30 zone), isn't what's fixed. Unless your specific area has maps updates in the firmware update, you'll still have that problem until more maps updates fixes it.

GOOD NEWS:
Your head unit will no longer keep switching from MPH to KPH and back again.

Sorry I didn't provide more details earlier. I was on my phone.

Here's one of the videos I made for Subaru (speed limit was 55mph):

·
Registered
10 Posts
Sorry, I should have went into more detail. AFAIK, there's zero places in the United States where a 120mph speed limit is recorded in Tom Tom's maps.

Some NON updated head units have a glitch where they randomly switch the *driver center screen readout* to kph and then back to mph. 120 KPH is 75mph - sound about the right speed limit? Maps app readout is unaffected.

On the affected head units, it literally does not matter what units setting you select, whether auto, KPH, or MPH. You will either have (a) kph only, or what you are experiencing (b) the unit will switch from mph to kph to mph, over and over again, seemingly randomly. This may be three times in a day, or once in 2 months or anything in between.

The recent firmware update fixes this problem, which I have confirmed with 3,500 miles of testing and driving.

So, your problem, as you are describing it, is due to a bug that affects some of the head units that haven't been updated. There were only a tiny handful of head units that exhibited this problem.

SOLUTION 01:
Since you're going to the dealer, have them update the head unit. They may NOT be aware of this issue, but, I spent a lot of time working through this with SoA, my dealership and our regional Ascent tech by phone, with videos, with testing and via emails.

The relevant TSB, which does cover the fix for this, is: 15-236-18, released January 7th, 2019.
(short version: have them apply the firmware update)

SOLUTION 02:
Do it yourself, if you're bored. Get a fast USB 3.x stick, go to this site (link), create an account, enter your VIN, and download the updater builder. Run it on your computer by following the instructions here (link). Install it to your car's head unit via what those instructions indicate, and, voila!

(short version: you can apply the firmware update)

BAD NEWS:
Where the speed limit data is simply wrong (eg: reporting 25mph in a 30 zone), isn't what's fixed. Unless your specific area has maps updates in the firmware update, you'll still have that problem until more maps updates fixes it.

GOOD NEWS:
Your head unit will no longer keep switching from MPH to KPH and back again.

Sorry I didn't provide more details earlier. I was on my phone.

Here's one of the videos I made for Subaru (speed limit was 55mph):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GXrP2Z_gITw

Thanks Robert. I'll make them aware of the TSB when I take it in.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
No action yet

Here are the communication threads to and from Subaru. I downloaded the NY region - no change

Dear Tyler (Subaru), SXM did not sell me a new 2019 Ascent Touring model, you (Subaru) did. Therefore, Subaru should investigate this and come up with a solution by consulting with your GPS supplier and SXM. I looked this issue up on line and found that a lot of people are experiencing the same issues. I contacted the dealer, who sold us the vehicle and informed them of your reply. They have been very helpful but this is an engineering and design issue that requires corporate attention. I have a full warranty on the vehicle and will not tamper with any of the vehicles features during this warranty period. That falls on Subaru.

Please advise as to what actions are being taken to resolve this.

Sincerely,

XXXXX

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Tuesday, February 12, 2019 15:43
Subject: RE: Navigation display

Dear Mr. xxxx :

Thank you for contacting Subaru of America, Inc. We appreciate the opportunity to be of assistance.

I am sorry to hear of your experience, The traffic and speed limits are provided through your SXM subscription. I have documented your concern at this time, but your best resource would be to notify SXM of this concern.

If you have any additional questions, please do not hesitate to contact us again. Thank you for the opportunity to be of service.

Sincerely,

Tyler Devault
Subaru of America, Inc.
Customer/Retailer Services Department
1-800-SUBARU3 (1-800-782-2783)
Service Request Number: 1-40719863170

[THREAD ID:1-IPFJZID]

-----Original Message-----

Sent: 2/9/2019 10:34:55 AM
To: [email protected]
Subject: Navigation display

The Tom Tom navigation map display speed limit readout is incorrect when in a 30 MPH zone. It consistently reads 25 MPH. Other speed limits have read correctly so far (e.g. 45, 50, etc.)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I am surprised that any manufacturer would put this TomTom navigation in their cars. It's comically bad, and can be laughed at since there's always Google Maps and Android Auto.
I realize that. My point is I bought a brand new vehicle that is malfunctioning. It needs to be fixed and resolved.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
"Why, yes, officer, I was paying attention to my speedometer/instrument cluster!" :smile_big::devil:
Maybe you cannot get the point here. I bought a new vehicle that is malfunctioning. It needs to be fixed and this issue resolved by Subaru. If you do not care about your vehicle, so be it.

·
Administrator
10,987 Posts
This will be fixed in a future update. IIRC, the release ETA is this summer.

FYI, Google has mistakes in their speed limits too, as I found on Rt 74 in NY, where TomTom was correct and Google was wrong. Usually the other way around though.

Fixes like this take a bunch of time, because they have to go through extensive testing after Harman Kardon and TomTom make updates. Looking through the menus to see all of what the system controls can give everyone an idea of just how complex the system is.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Maybe you cannot get the point here. I bought a new vehicle that is malfunctioning. It needs to be fixed and this issue resolved by Subaru. If you do not care about your vehicle, so be it.
Er.....did someone miss the emojis? ??

OK, seriously:

I'm annoyed by it, too. And yes, I, too, wish that this would be addressed via the map updates - and more frequently at that. However, this issue has not been static - some FB/Forum reports have been positive in this respect. While you may not have seen an improvement, others, in other geographic areas, have (meanwhile, I actually noticed errors in my most traveled locales after the last update, which were not there before).

But as Robert.Mauro noted, this kind of error is common to many platforms: not just the built-in nav in our Ascents or other Subarus. Similarly, this is a type of error that is routinely worked on by various nav providers.

And just as realistically, posted speed limits not infrequently change (on a "permanent" basis, not just due to temporary construction or other restrictions).

The thing that consumers like us have to realize is that the best way to get errors like these corrected is to actively note and submit error reports as well as corrections to the nav manufacturer.

With stand-alone TomTom units, this was rather easy, and updates not infrequent. Similarly, nearly a decade and a half ago as various GPS-enabled standalone accessories came about, various smaller makers/companies were also able to offer concierge-level services (at the time, these devices were both rather expensive and/or often called for rather pricy monthly subscriptions): for those with memories that long and who were engaged in the speed-detections countermeasures community at the time, we will fondly recall the UK-based SpeedCheetah company. At that time, hobbyists/end-users would routinely submit this type of corrections (PSL, construction, speedtrap location, etc.) to the company, who would literally, at their peak, update their dedicated database almost on a weekly basis.

With our in-vehicle device, as Robert.Mauro noted, there's added levels of complexity involved as the unit involves not just Subaru, HK, or TomTom, but all three entities (and if Sirius XM is involved, too, then that's yet another level). Realistically, getting updates pushed through may well take three times as long, just from there being three entities involved.

Is it annoying?

Certainly.

Is it to an extent embarrassing in a $40K+ vehicle?

A little bit (but then again, my friend's Tesla has some even more embarrassing issues - like an instrument binnacle that moves more than my ballcap on a windy day.....)

But is it unexpected?

I honestly do not think that anyone who has used any form of consumer GPS-nav device over the last two decades can honestly say that it should be.

Should Subaru/HK/TomTom address this issue?

Absolutely.

Do I expect that the can always have things correct?

Realistically, no - I actually think that's rather impossible. But at the same time, I'd also always expect incremental improvements - just as I would expect that there would be occasional mistakes.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Sometimes when you see it say 25 in a 30 or 35 that’s because your near a school zone. It just always shows it at the school zone speed.

I’ve noticed that myself. In many cases Waze does the same.

·
Administrator
10,987 Posts
Sometimes when you see it say 25 in a 30 or 35 that’s because your near a school zone. It just always shows it at the school zone speed.

I’ve noticed that myself. In many cases Waze does the same.
Actually, the TomTom software defaults to 25mph whenever it doesn't know the speed limit.

The Feb 2019 update fixed that by not displaying any number if it wasn't sure. That firmware update was pulled for other reasons, and in April, the December update was re-released.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.