Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Whelp! Not what I ever expected of my new Ascent that just reached 5000 miles. Started hearing squealing sound last week and felt what seemed to be a belt or chain slipping at 60 mph, happened repeatedly for about 5 minutes. Thankfully, the car was still drivable off the highway. I took the car to the dealership the next day and got a call in the afternoon that everything checked out normally, they could not reproduce the issue, and they could not find any problems with the engine. I refused to leave it at that and asked them to keep the car longer and drive it more to see if they could catch the problem in action. Very next day, the technician called me back and said he was able to reproduce the slipping this time and was able to record it and send the info to SOA. As of today, a new transmission is on the way. I’m relieved they found the issue and are dealing with the repair. However, it’s super frustrating that we replaced our last car bc of a serious transfer case issue (that the manufacturer refused to cover) and are now dealing with a significant problem with our brand new car as well. Subaru was our go-to bc of their great safety ratings and supposed reliability. Thankfully, the dealership we are working with has been pretty good to deal with which reduces some stress. That said, it’s hard to feel any confidence in a car that needs a new transmission after 5000 miles! And who knows if the new one will have the same issues as the faulty one after the next 5K miles we drive... Has anyone else had this experience and if so, how is the car performing with the new transmission?

·
Registered
920 Posts
There seem to have ben a few bad trannies in the earlier batch. When did you buy yours?

I have 19k miles on mine with over 2,000 of that towing 3500+ lbs.

They seem to have gotten the trannies sorted out so you should be good once your new one in!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There seem to have ben a few bad trannies in the earlier batch. When did you buy yours?

I have 19k miles on mine with over 2,000 of that towing 3500+ lbs.

They seem to have gotten the trannies sorted out so you should be good once your new one in!
We bought ours from a dealership in MD in November 2018 (it was driven from another MD dealership near Ocean City for us). I don’t know the build date bc the car is currently at the dealership awaiting the new CVT so I can’t look at the stamp in person. I’m guessing it could very well have been from the August-Oct. batch that seems to have the higher number of transmission issues. My big concern now is that the new one may have the same issue unless they’ve changed something with the new transmissions. W haven’t been able to get a clear answer from
the dealer yet, as to what the specific problem is and whether or not Subaru has made any updates or changes to the more recently built CVTs. I don’t want to drive another 5-10K and run into the same problem. And yes, I’m glad it’s all under warranty but the amount of time and loss of use of the car this will all take is extremely inconvenient.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I also find it very disconcerting that when I check the MySubaru app that regularly sends me notices about the “health” of my Ascent, it still states that everything is running well and there are 0 issues with the car! At this point, that app/feature is useless.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Sorry to hear about the problems you are having. No one wants to have this happen.

So far anyone who has had a transmission changed has not had anymore issues. Of course thats not a lot of units at this point and they havnt been on the road that long since they have been replaced. Glad to hear your dealer is taking care of you.

If the car isnt throwing any codes the app isnt going to have anything to report. The internals of a transmission slipping isnt going to report a code unfortunately.

Good luck with everything.

·
Administrator
10,987 Posts
The car computer may not always detect a chain slip. If not, then no code is thrown and the app has nothing to say.

Anyway, the TR690 has been around for a tiny bit over a decade now. I've yet to see anyone with problems on their second CVT, and, most seem to be Aug/Sept builds.

Mine is still going strong, even though I've towed, yanked cars out of the mud, done many miles on the soft, difficult Long Island south shore sands, and am hitting 24,000 miles soon.

As a matter of fact, I am so confident, that I am once again towing this big 2011 Heartland Edge, fully water loaded, through the Adirondack and Catskill Mountains, to Crown Point and back at the end of August (650-700 mile round trip, mostly through the mountains).

Before that, I will be going on a 6,000 mile non-towing cross-country trip (once you add my side adventures not yet on the map). The car gets a 1.5 week break between the cross-country trip and Crown Point trip. While I won't be towing, the car will still have a quarter ton of filming and photography gear, and many pounds of Subaru Swag to give out to the people I meet along the way.

I expect to start the fall at 35,000-40,000 miles on the car. ;)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The car computer may not always detect a chain slip. If not, then no code is thrown and the app has nothing to say.

Anyway, the TR690 has been around for a tiny bit over a decade now. I've yet to see anyone with problems on their second CVT, and, most seem to be Aug/Sept builds.

Mine is still going strong, even though I've towed, yanked cars out of the mud, done many miles on the soft, difficult Long Island south shore sands, and am hitting 24,000 miles soon.

As a matter of fact, I am so confident, that I am once again towing this big 2011 Heartland Edge, fully water loaded, through the Adirondack and Catskill Mountains, to Crown Point and back at the end of August (650-700 mile round trip, mostly through the mountains).

Before that, I will be going on a 6,000 mile non-towing cross-country trip (once you add my side adventures not yet on the map). The car gets a 1.5 week break between the cross-country trip and Crown Point trip. While I won't be towing, the car will still have a quarter ton of filming and photography gear, and many pounds of Subaru Swag to give out to the people I meet along the way.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the feedback. Keeping my fingers crossed for a quick repair that lasts. We don’t do any towing, in fact the car leads a pretty leisurely life. Aside ftom a couple road trips to the Outer Banks, it mainly serves as our family car toting around young kids and a big dog, so even after 7 months we just made it over 5000 miles. Happy to hear of your good experience with the Ascent. Looks like some very fun travels!

·
Registered
1,406 Posts

that's a lot of mile after 10-11mo, bro!!!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
My Ascent had exactly the same slippage. We got it in October 2018, so most likely was built in Aug/Sept. I got it acting up on video. The dealer got me a new transmission NEXT DAY! So far so good.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Same thing happened to ours. 5K miles and we had to duplicate the problem for them to see what was wrong. They took care of us pretty well with an Ascent loaner but a little disconcerting that it happened so soon. Hopefully not a sign to come.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Purchased a new 2019 Touring in December. about 6,500 miles later, started having issues with the cvt belt slipping and squealing. Got it on video, took it to the dealer Monday, and they ordered a new transmission. Should have the car back next week. We never had one cvt related issue with our 2015 outback over 45,000 miles of owning it.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Makes me wonder if Subaru is now well aware whats happening as it seems transmission replacements are being approved and replaced quicker. But, seems like customers are not getting a clear description of WHY they are going bad. Just..here’s a new tranny...we’ll see ya later.

·
Administrator
10,987 Posts
Makes me wonder if Subaru is now well aware whats happening as it seems transmission replacements are being approved and replaced quicker. But, seems like customers are not getting a clear description of WHY they are going bad. Just..here’s a new tranny...we’ll see ya later.
Or pre-order backlog is no longer hurting delivery times, and the parts channel is now getting parts.

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
I agree with @mdub, Subaru should be providing an answer to owners as to what is causing the failure of the transmission. They may not want to share this information with the public, but an owner is owed an explanation.

·
Registered
965 Posts
I agree with @mdub, Subaru should be providing an answer to owners as to what is causing the failure of the transmission. They may not want to share this information with the public, but an owner is owed an explanation.
Pardon me for sounding confrontational, but why?

You ARE the public. They are fixing / replacing the transmission under warranty, and other than the possible initial hassle of repeating the slippage, they are fulfilling their obligation to you. They are under no further obligation to tell you WHY something took a dump.

I just had this pointed out to me by the local Police Department. I was involved in an accident yesterday, not my fault, and a police officer witnessed the whole thing. Another responding police officer took our licenses and insurance information before I thought to ask the other driver for her information so I could start the claim earlier. The officer told me their procedure is I can get that information from the police report. So that report has been filed, and is awaiting approval. Even though I'm a party to the accident, I cannot get the information until it is released to the public, because I am the public.

Having said that, we know there appear to have been some bad transmissions come out. Subaru is handling it in their usual way - which is simply to fix the problem. If anyone really cares about when their vehicle was built, just send me a PM with the last 8 of the their VIN and I'll look it up on SubieNet.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Well, i guess id want to know if my new transmission will crap out in another 5000 miles cause its the exact same or if something was actually changed to prolong its life. Its not a large ask after spending thousands, and may even increase customer loyalty if they are more transparent, especially for new subaru customers.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Well, i guess id want to know if my new transmission will crap out in another 5000 miles cause its the exact same or if something was actually changed to prolong its life. Its not a large ask after spending thousands, and may even increase customer loyalty if they are more transparent, especially for new subaru customers.
We have to wonder if this might be a continuous issue like the new engine in the Crosstrek with pinging.. They have yet to admit anything on that yet just yank it apart and clean carbon under warranty...

·
Administrator
10,987 Posts
We have to wonder if this might be a continuous issue like the new engine in the Crosstrek with pinging.. They have yet to admit anything on that yet just yank it apart and clean carbon under warranty...
How could it be a continuous issue when it's very very ridiculously few TR690s out of 10 years worth of production?

And remember, when there actually was a problem with the TR690 (torque converter, specifically), Subaru issued a recall for all affected cars, once they figured it out.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I seem to be experiencing the same problem. Ours shut down and only allowed a crawl though when driving locally. All the dash warnings came on. Parked at a curb turned off then on and the Ascent wouldn't even go out of park. Strange though, when the flatbed came the car did go into drive and moved on its own even though all the warning lights were still on. Had it towed to dealer, they did a hard reset and Subaru told the dealer to loosen the wiring harness and reset the pin plug. Hmm.
Still experiencing lag. Drove it at highway speed on the Belt parkway two days after picking it up and the car did not respond when trying to accelerate from 50ish mph. When it did I felt a bump from the back end. At least that's where it seemed to be coming from.
Taking it back in tomorrow. Hopefully the same issue as this so we can get this resolved. Funny thing is we drove it to Boston and back the weekend before last and it was such a nice drive.

1 - 20 of 76 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.