Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
932 Posts
For what it’s worth my local service department is making the recommendation that if you intend to keep your car beyond 100-150-200-250k miles, change the CVTF every 60k Miles. (That was also a recommendation for any model with a CVT, not just the Ascent)

·
Registered
492 Posts
So based on the maintenance schedule for the Ascent. Would it make sense to purchase the maintenance plan at $800?

I'm looking at the oil and filter changes only being 6 times for the length of the plan (3 years) and that would probably only add up to $360ish based on $60 each time. And the other 'replace' items are air filters, and brake fluid, not $450 worth I don't think? How much do dealerships charge for rotating tires? Everything else is just inspect... What am I missing?

·
Premium Member
565 Posts
So based on the maintenance schedule for the Ascent. Would it make sense to purchase the maintenance plan at $800?

I'm looking at the oil and filter changes only being 6 times for the length of the plan (3 years) and that would probably only add up to $360ish based on $60 each time. And the other 'replace' items are air filters, and brake fluid, not $450 worth I don't think? How much do dealerships charge for rotating tires? Everything else is just inspect... What am I missing?
What I'm curious about with this maintenance plan is how does that work if you get the two years free maintenance?

·
Registered
932 Posts

Personally, because I am quasi-handy, I don't see the pre-paid maintenance being worth it.

It is worth it, maybe, if you use a place that doesn't give you complimentary rotations or inspections.

My local dealer charges $65 for a synthetic 4-cylinder oil change and filter, but it would cost me another $20 for a rotation. The multi inspection is complimentary, as is a car wash when it's done.

Air filters can add up; I change my engine filter and cabin filter yearly in June (despite the manual suggesting you can go 24 months on the engine air filter, mine seems to get dirty)... I think I usually spend around $30 for the both of them and get genuine Subaru parts from a third-part wholesaler.

I prefer doing my own oil changes, since I can almost always get a great deal on Pennzoil Platinum or Mobil 1 depending on rebates, and then I use an OEM filter. I'd probably even consider investing the $20 into a Fumoto quick-drain valve going forward.

There's another caveat, also. The 30k requires inspection of, I believe, CVTF and Front and Rear Differentials. I'm not sure if these fluid changes are included, but I believe the F&R diffs add up to around $150 if you had the shop do a drain-and-fill on them.

So, like you said, let's assume 6 oil changes at the rate of $60 for easy math, and 6 rotations at $20 each.

That's 360+120, or 480. I would have to see a paper showing me exactly what I got for my 800. That reminds me of the time my 2009 Legacy was in for service and they'd changed to the Super Long Life Coolant (blue) in 2009. The dealer was trying to push the coolant change on me, and I was arguing with them that I knew more about the car than they did. I ended up getting a free service (their idea, not mine) and an apology from their service manager. No ill will towards them, but I never brought my Subies back there afterwards. Now, I drive out of my way (about an extra 20 minutes) to another dealer/service that I'm really happy with.

Most of the dealers around here include the first oil change for free - but being in the NE, we don't get the 2-year maintenance plan included for free. I guess the cars sell themselves around here because of the winters.

·
Registered
492 Posts

Personally, because I am quasi-handy, I don't see the pre-paid maintenance being worth it.

It is worth it, maybe, if you use a place that doesn't give you complimentary rotations or inspections.

My local dealer charges $65 for a synthetic 4-cylinder oil change and filter, but it would cost me another $20 for a rotation. The multi inspection is complimentary, as is a car wash when it's done.

Air filters can add up; I change my engine filter and cabin filter yearly in June (despite the manual suggesting you can go 24 months on the engine air filter, mine seems to get dirty)... I think I usually spend around $30 for the both of them and get genuine Subaru parts from a third-part wholesaler.

I prefer doing my own oil changes, since I can almost always get a great deal on Pennzoil Platinum or Mobil 1 depending on rebates, and then I use an OEM filter. I'd probably even consider investing the $20 into a Fumoto quick-drain valve going forward.

There's another caveat, also. The 30k requires inspection of, I believe, CVTF and Front and Rear Differentials. I'm not sure if these fluid changes are included, but I believe the F&R diffs add up to around $150 if you had the shop do a drain-and-fill on them.

So, like you said, let's assume 6 oil changes at the rate of $60 for easy math, and 6 rotations at $20 each.

That's 360+120, or 480. I would have to see a paper showing me exactly what I got for my 800. That reminds me of the time my 2009 Legacy was in for service and they'd changed to the Super Long Life Coolant (blue) in 2009. The dealer was trying to push the coolant change on me, and I was arguing with them that I knew more about the car than they did. I ended up getting a free service (their idea, not mine) and an apology from their service manager. No ill will towards them, but I never brought my Subies back there afterwards. Now, I drive out of my way (about an extra 20 minutes) to another dealer/service that I'm really happy with.

Most of the dealers around here include the first oil change for free - but being in the NE, we don't get the 2-year maintenance plan included for free. I guess the cars sell themselves around here because of the winters.
Our dealer doesn't do the free 2 yr service plan. But they did do a free lifetime warranty on the powertrain. Whatever, they are the only dealer around here, and it was no charge, soooo...

The only catch is I can't do my own oil changes, I have to take it somewhere legit for records/receipts saying I'm taking care of it, yada yada.

So, even if I took it to the dealer for all this maintenance stuff and oil changes, I'm still having a hard time seeing all this add up to $800. I guess it's time for another email to my salesman for his $ quote and what I'd be getting for the money.

And he thought he was done with me, haha! Lol.

·
Registered
932 Posts
The place I bought my Outback from has a Lifetime Warranty on the powertrain but the catch is you have to do all services at that dealership.

The salesman made me a little confused because he didn’t know about those dealer recommended services versus the required ones. After all the dealership is assuming the risk on the warranty, since it’s their “lure” for customers to pick them, but the fact they didn’t have information about the fine print made me worried.

So, tldr- make sure if you’re investing in the lifetime warranty schtick they’ve got that you are aware of all fine print.

·
Registered
508 Posts
I talked the dealer down to about half of what they came out with for the maintenance plan. they showed me what they do for other subaru models, but didnt have the ascent stuff in their system. Looks like I will be going back to the dealer to cancel. Looks like I get it all back within the first $60 days, or all but $25 between 60-90 days.

·
Registered
665 Posts
Our dealer doesn't do the free 2 yr service plan. But they did do a free lifetime warranty on the powertrain. Whatever, they are the only dealer around here, and it was no charge, soooo...

The only catch is I can't do my own oil changes, I have to take it somewhere legit for records/receipts saying I'm taking care of it, yada yada.

So, even if I took it to the dealer for all this maintenance stuff and oil changes, I'm still having a hard time seeing all this add up to $800. I guess it's time for another email to my salesman for his $ quote and what I'd be getting for the money.

Took care of it? Like jiffy lube? Lol. Some of those guys don't have the slightest clue. Over tighten everything or worse, put the drain plug in wrong. Good luck with that.

·
Registered
492 Posts

Took care of it? Like jiffy lube? Lol. Some of those guys don't have the slightest clue. Over tighten everything or worse, put the drain plug in wrong. Good luck with that.
Yeah, like Jiffy/Super/Express whatever Lube.

When we were signing all the paperwork the finance manager told us (when I asked again about me doing my own oil changes) that I actually could do it myself but I would have to keep all my receipts and show that everything was purchased together (in the same time frame of the oil change) and keep written records of my changes, like a log book.

I like to buy in bulk and I'm thinking that wouldn't fly with them as far as proving I actually did the oil change at a certain date if all the oil was purchased a year ago. Plus with the cost of good synthetic oil these days I might as well just save me some grief and spend a little extra (maybe) and let the dealership take care of it. That way if something ever comes up, it's all in their system that they did everything, and I'm good.

I also have in the form of an email from my salesman saying as long as we follow the regular Ascent maintenance schedule we're good to go and that they have us covered. So you know what, they can use whatever oil they want then if they're going to cover it if the engine blows up.

And yes I wouldn't trust those Lube places with a tricycle, lol. They don't even have the correct oil specs in their system for my 2002 Mustang. Back when I used to take it to them, I found this out the hard way the first time, over filled it by a quart. Each consecutive time I had to watch them and tell them their computer was wrong and told them the correct amount to put in, every time! So I just started doing everything myself.

·
Registered
665 Posts
Yeah, like Jiffy/Super/Express whatever Lube.

When we were signing all the paperwork the finance manager told us (when I asked again about me doing my own oil changes) that I actually could do it myself but I would have to keep all my receipts and show that everything was purchased together (in the same time frame of the oil change) and keep written records of my changes, like a log book.

I like to buy in bulk and I'm thinking that wouldn't fly with them as far as proving I actually did the oil change at a certain date if all the oil was purchased a year ago. Plus with the cost of good synthetic oil these days I might as well just save me some grief and spend a little extra (maybe) and let the dealership take care of it. That way if something ever comes up, it's all in their system that they did everything, and I'm good.

I also have in the form of an email from my salesman saying as long as we follow the regular Ascent maintenance schedule we're good to go and that they have us covered. So you know what, they can use whatever oil they want then if they're going to cover it if the engine blows up.

And yes I wouldn't trust those Lube places with a tricycle, lol. They don't even have the correct oil specs in their system for my 2002 Mustang. Back when I used to take it to them, I found this out the hard way the first time, over filled it by a quart. Each consecutive time I had to watch them and tell them their computer was wrong and told them the correct amount to put in, every time! So I just started doing everything myself.
On my 16 Silverado truck, all they needed was proof I bought oil/filter etc. So receipts are fine. I'm sure all warranties are the same, if not.. then it's just some shady business practices.

Besides, don't all those oil places buy their oil in bulk too! In big barrels.

·
Registered
492 Posts
On my 16 Silverado truck, all they needed was proof I bought oil/filter etc. So receipts are fine. I'm sure all warranties are the same, if not.. then it's just some shady business practices.

Besides, don't all those oil places buy their oil in bulk too! In big barrels.
Yeah, I'm just under the impression from them that they require it to be blatantly clear as to how and when I performed the required maintenance. Which I can't fault them on.

But, I'm sure they don't want to have to pay out for an expensive repair and will be as vague as possible in hopes of you (the customer) forgetting about or not doing something. Which is probably why they still have not given me anything in official writing as far as the terms and conditions for this said "lifetime warranty". But I plan on making it very hard for them to say no, should I need that expensive repair years down the road. :devil:

Until they demonstrate otherwise, I will continue to give them the benefit of the doubt though. :angel:

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
That's a horrible guideline for maintenance, particularly for average driver (not garage queen or severe driving experience).

i.e. if we look at the front/rear diff oil, the schedule for inspection is about 30K mile. if the oil is light in color, is that still good? If you bring that to different dealer and or different techs, will they have the same recommendation?

WHAT A NIGHTMARE I SEE. It's probably easier just to recommend people to replace them rather than allow techs to conduct inspection and provide recommendations.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.