Subaru Ascent Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do we know when the IIHS will be releasing the crash test ratings for the 2019 Ascent?

I would like to see how it stands up against the Outback and the competition.

·
Registered
978 Posts
Also waiting. But unlike Toyota for example ie RAV4. Subaru has for over 20+ yrs taken the crash ratings super seriously as a result they are continually the only Auto Maker with strait 5 star ratings across their entire offering.

I highly doubt the Ascent will be anything less than a top rating. Its possible Subaru may even up the game by having some features that competitors don’t plan on having for a generation or two. Example being Subaru exceeded the roof strength standards years before the standard was even settled. So I don’t see them miffing it like Toyota did on the current RAV4.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Also waiting. But unlike Toyota for example ie RAV4. Subaru has for over 20+ yrs taken the crash ratings super seriously as a result they are continually the only Auto Maker with strait 5 star ratings across their entire offering.

I highly doubt the Ascent will be anything less than a top rating. Its possible Subaru may even up the game by having some features that competitors don’t plan on having for a generation or two. Example being Subaru exceeded the roof strength standards years before the standard was even settled. So I don’t see them miffing it like Toyota did on the current RAV4.
I think in some of the promotional material they have basically said that anything less than Top Safety Pick + would be failing to them. They make a point to be very safe cars and it is hard to say that if any of them do not get all "Good" ratings.

As far as the frame that is in the Crosstrek and already has a good score which is a good sign for the Ascent. They also added Eye Sight to make sure the base model has the features necessary to get the highest rating.

·
Administrator
7,788 Posts
Yep, they've made it quite clear that they expect nothing but a Top Safety Pick+ on the Ascent, including stellar 3rd row protection. They've also done their own tests that go beyond the scope of the IIHS tests for areas that the IIHS tests lack.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Having shared the roads with Subaru drivers, it is imperative that their cars have a 5 star safety rating, because most of them drive like they are on the racetrack or road course.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Subaru has a reputation for safety as much as Toyota does for reliability. I would be very surprised if they don't get top honors. They've had plenty of time since the headlight announcement, so they won't be blindsided by that decision. Lots of 2018 SUV's that missed the cut due to the new headlight standards.

·
Registered
644 Posts
Any new Subaru built on the global platform will be a 5- star safety winner. Google the SGP and you will see why

·
Registered
967 Posts
Yep, they've made it quite clear that they expect nothing but a Top Safety Pick+ on the Ascent,
Since the only way to get Top Safety Pick + is to have an collision avoidance system - and we KNOW that every Subaru with one is a Top Safety Pick + - AND the Ascent will have standard Eyesight - that means it's going to be a Top Safety Pick +.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
anyone know if the Eyesight have improved since 2015? Does it have radar, too? The 2015 technology doesn't work around here in Houston w/ flat geography, going to and from work w/ the sun.

·
Registered
967 Posts
The 2015 technology doesn't work around here in Houston w/ flat geography, going to and from work w/ the sun.
That's just a limitation of the cameras. Typically it only causes a problem for early morning heading east (about the first 20 minutes after sunrise) and late afternoon (about 20 minutes before sunset) heading due west. And it's just as flat here in Oklahoma City, system works fine.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Having shared the roads with Subaru drivers, it is imperative that their cars have a 5 star safety rating, because most of them drive like they are on the racetrack or road course.

You didn't know Subaru backwards was Racecar, man where have you been.

Reactions: Robert.Mauro

·
Registered
967 Posts
Carl,

That's not what I asked. ... lol.

BTW, I'm curious, why did you modify the quote w/o any preservation or place-holder?
I thought you were commenting about driving into direct sun, so that's what I was answering. I always tell my customers that the Eyesight system is a driver assist system, not a driver replacement system and it does have limitations.

No radars yet.

·
Registered
967 Posts
They only use radar for the reverse automatic breaking and blind spot monitoring.
And you call yourself a salesman ....

Radar is used for Blind Spot / Reverse Cross Traffic Alert / Lane Change Assist

Sonar is used for Reverse Automatic Braking

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
And you call yourself a salesman ....

Radar is used for Blind Spot / Reverse Cross Traffic Alert / Lane Change Assist

Sonar is used for Reverse Automatic Braking
Most people do not understand the difference that radar is RF and sonar is sonic.

First thought and I was like "sure, why not, it would be a great way to supplement performance during limited visibility (directly in to the sun, fog). Then thinking on it a little bit more, there are plenty of things that are very difficult for radar to pick up; non metallic objects and those annoying objects like pedestrians.

But it is a layered approach; it is not as if there would only be one thing that the collision avoidance system would be dependent upon. Forward radar would be a supplemental input, just like the stereo cameras, side rear corner radars and rearward sonar.

The programming would be more difficult; it is not just about detecting the presence of an object like the blind spot detectors do. A forward facing radar would need to work for a longer distance (100 feet or so instead of the 10 feet of the blind spot detector), it would also need to detect the change of distance (a doppler effect instead of just a blip that says something is there) and a narrower beamwidth antenna (or the RF pattern would end up widening out to three or four lanes wide at 100').

What might work better is a scanning laser (infrared, less than 1 mW) but to avoid interference or falsing by other vehicular lasers the beam would need to be digitally modulated so the receiver would only pay attention to its own signal.

·
Registered
967 Posts
Then thinking on it a little bit more, there are plenty of things that are very difficult for radar to pick up; non metallic objects and those annoying objects like pedestrians.

But it is a layered approach; it is not as if there would only be one thing that the collision avoidance system would be dependent upon. Forward radar would be a supplemental input, just like the stereo cameras, side rear corner radars and rearward sonar.
There are systems right now that do use radar. They're having the programming issues you mention because of non-planned radar reflectors. The highway sign that's crooked after an accident, or a metal guardrail on a tighter turn.

I know that we're working on something, but no one is letting slip any specifics right now. Since a lot of our auto tech is derived from aviation tech, I'm sure we'll have something in a few years. But in keeping with how conservative a company Subaru is, it will be tested in Japan first before it's ever released over here. That way we don't have publicity issues like the pedestrian avoidance system running over someone when you're showing it off for the media ...

1 - 20 of 32 Posts