Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took my 2019 Ascent to the dealer last week for an oil change and routine maintenance check. I advised them that my hood continues to shake, even after their 3 consecutive fixes they applied during my previous visits. This time they removed the factory-instalked gaskets that are inserted between the hood and the hood stiffener, and replaced them with a thick bead of silicon caulk. They kept the Ascent overnight to let the caulk dry and cure. I have not had a hood shake issue since. The hood now remains rock solid at highway speeds as it should. Contact your dealer. They should know about this fix.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Took my 2019 Ascent to the dealer last week for an oil change and routine maintenance check. I advised them that my hood continues to shake, even after their 3 consecutive fixes they applied during my previous visits. This time they removed the factory-instalked gaskets that are inserted between the hood and the hood stiffener, and replaced them with a thick bead of silicon caulk. They kept the Ascent overnight to let the caulk dry and cure. I have not had a hood shake issue since. The hood now remains rock solid at highway speeds as it should. Contact your dealer. They should know about this fix.
I literally just had my Ascent hood fixed for the same problem today. My Service Advisor said there is TSP out for this repair. However they did not keep it overnight for the caulk to dry. So hopefully it will keep hood from shaking in wind and at high speeds

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
I literally just had my Ascent hood fixed for the same problem today. My Service Advisor said there is TSP out for this repair. However they did not keep it overnight for the caulk to dry. So hopefully it will keep hood from shaking in wind and at high speeds
As of 01/31/20 there are currently 114 TSB's listed for the 2019 Ascent, but I could not find one for the hood. I'll keep looking.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Yeah- but now it's glued down!

·
Registered
685 Posts
We have a saying in the millwork industry when architects design something without any consideration for real-world fastening.

We use "PFM"

Pure
F'n
Magic

It works great, in every case it is either a high spec' silicone adhesive or an epoxy type adhesive. Subaru's fix for the flutter is PFM.

:love:

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
PFM is a universal concept in all product development and manufacturing endeavors.

It's evident the hood was designed with adhesive bonding the skin to the underlying frame. It's only those vehicles where it was inadequately or improperly applied that have issues. This could be due workmanship or equipment problems and is ultimately a shortcoming of QC.

·
Administrator
11,124 Posts
TSB 12-281-20 Hood Panel Vibration...

It's not caulking, but special 3M Panel Bonding Adhesive used by the automotive industry to do what the name implies.

Sorry, I've been away at a Cybersecurity conference. I'll catch up on everything next week.

·
Administrator
11,124 Posts
PFM is a universal concept in all product development and manufacturing endeavors.

It's evident the hood was designed with adhesive bonding the skin to the underlying frame. It's only those vehicles where it was inadequately or improperly applied that have issues. This could be due workmanship or equipment problems and is ultimately a shortcoming of QC.
I'm wondering if the bonds broke when the hood was being transported. The car is painted with hoods and doors on, and then they're removed to prevent damage by the build teams as they install interiors and drive train, to be mated back with the cars later on the line.

·
Registered
377 Posts
We have a saying in the millwork industry when architects design something without any consideration for real-world fastening.

We use "PFM"

Pure
F'n
Magic

It works great, in every case it is either a high spec' silicone adhesive or an epoxy type adhesive. Subaru's fix for the flutter is PFM.

:love:
My FIL, a custom home builder, has less kind terms for architects that use lengths/heights of 9' 11' 13' 15' 17' and 19'

·
Registered
8 Posts
Anyone else have the hood flutter...stop and verify it's firmly latched...and then just shrug and quit worrying about it?

Me neither, just asking. ?
It was slight flutter that caught might attention but nothing that looked extremely concerning. I assumed it was some out of tolerance slop in the latching mechanism and I was planning on bringing it up at my next service. But it’s ok... let’s just be an ass about it. ??‍♂

·
Registered
471 Posts
Robert said above that the TSB is 12-281-20 Hood Panel Vibration. I can't find this specific TSB externally in the NHTSA listings where 114 are located, so there must be more in the internal Subaru documentation, which requires a paid subscription.
They can be searched but not viewed it seems. techinfo.subaru.com
Created date on this one is Feb 19, 2020.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
FWIW: I believe NHTSA listings are official safety recalls and that TSBs (Technical Service Bulletins) are not safety recalls so don't show up in the NHTSA lists.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
FWIW: I believe NHTSA listings are official safety recalls and that TSBs (Technical Service Bulletins) are not safety recalls so don't show up in the NHTSA lists.
According to the NHTSA, manufacturers are required by law to provide all such communications dating back to 2012. TSB's are included.

NHTSA does list TSB's and they also provide pdf's of the original manufacturer's full TSB documentation. However, this is not obvious to find and you need to know exactly where to look.

Instructions:
First, go to this link.

Here you will find a listing of most, if not all, TSB's for the 2019 Ascent (you can also search for the 2020 Ascent). They call TSB's and other such documentation "Manufacturer Communications". Currently, there are 144 for the 2019 Ascent.

You can filter these documents based upon your area of interest, or you can simply page up and down through all of them. Subaru's TSB # will be listed as the "Manufacturer Communications Number". For example "11-196-20". A title is included to give you a clue as to what it covers.

Now, notice the circled + sign next to each listing. Click on that and more info will be provided.

Now click on the "1 Associated Document" toggle. The pdf will then appear for the TSB. Click on it to download it.

Example:

The NHTSA didn't make this facility easy to find or to use, but there is a lot of great information there.

Enjoy!

1 - 20 of 49 Posts