Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been experiencing issue with gas range to empty being all over map. For example today driving on interstate. After fill-up range said 370 miles until empty after driving 45 miles it was up to 430 miles to empty. Other times it may stay same and not change up or down even after driving several hundred miles.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
3,896 Posts
The answer is pretty basic...it recalculates based on information is has. When you did your fill-up, it was banking on you driving the way you had already been driving. Once you were on the highway, it realized that you were attaining a higher average mpg and adjusted the miles-to-empty to suit. Those adjustments are always in 10 mile increments, BTW.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Thanks for the reply. I have had it also jumped 20 or 40 miles at a time.
That's definitely normal, and my old car did it this way too. The recalcs appear to be occasional instead of continuous. I'm glad it's not continuous, because that might imply a higher degree of accuracy than it's meant for. Plus it'd be distracting.

I'm not sure the readout doesn't always round to tens (or twenties) anyway.

F.S.

·
Registered
822 Posts
You got 41mpg for an entire tank of highway driving?
What exactly do you mean you noticed? Brief periods indicated? Or an entire tank full you averaged 41mpg?
Entire tank full on long trips all highway.MIxed driving like I mentioned I see from 24-25mpg

·
Registered
731 Posts
Entire tank full on long trips all highway.MIxed driving like I mentioned I see from 24-25mpg
Impressive.
I would see 10-15m stretches of over 40mpg, and even 50mpg for a few minutes, but as soon as the direction changed and the winds picked up, it would tank into the teens and stay there. Best I’ve averaged a tank of almost pure highway was 27-28mpg..
I should add that tank had LONG stretches @ or just over 80mph, with some crosswind.

·
Registered
377 Posts
The answer is pretty basic...it recalculates based on information is has. When you did your fill-up, it was banking on you driving the way you had already been driving. Once you were on the highway, it realized that you were attaining a higher average mpg and adjusted the miles-to-empty to suit. Those adjustments are always in 10 mile increments, BTW.
This. After a month of city driving I went on a road trip and 50 miles later my range was 120 miles further than when I started out.

I get around 24mpg fully loaded down and cruise on 75mph. That goes up to 28mpg at 65mph.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Yep. Mine jumps around erratically. Here's a thread I started on the topic after it indicated 770 miles of range after one fillup. It's been weird and jumping around on other occasions since then. This is like the 4th vehicle I've owned that indicates fuel range it's the only one that's been wack like this.

·
Registered
822 Posts
Also on the long trips I try to keep an eye the ECO indicator,that helps as well along with using the cruise control.

·
Registered
3,726 Posts
This. After a month of city driving I went on a road trip and 50 miles later my range was 120 miles further than when I started out.

I get around 24mpg fully loaded down and cruise on 75mph. That goes up to 28mpg at 65mph.
I too found a big difference between traveling at 65MPH versus 75MPH. For such a large vehicle I am happy with the mileage attained. I also know my style of driving at any particular time has the largest impact on MPG. There are always trade offs.

·
Super Moderator
3,896 Posts
ECO indicator?
Graph at the top of the display behind the steering wheel...shows positive/negative fuel economy relative to current average. When it's on the green side, you're "instantaneously" doing better than the current average. When it's on the yellow side...you're not.

Reactions: packout

·
Super Moderator
2,449 Posts
^^ ahhh. For some reason I got in my head a little green light somewhere that said eco. We don’t have one of those! Lol

that graph for me is more helpful in town than on longer highway trips

·
Super Moderator
3,896 Posts
The display is very handy for folks who have a natural tendency to drive with a "hypermile" mindset...the game being to drive as best as possible to maximize being "in the green". But it's an instantaneous measurement so it only shows the trend "in the moment" and that's always relative to current calculated mpg since the last reset of the trip counter. IE...it's just a trend indicator. :)

·
Registered
113 Posts
when giving hwy mpg what speed? and how many miles do you have as to evaluate break-in time, i've got 1200 miles now when to expect improving mpg??

·
Registered
113 Posts
I too found a big difference between traveling at 65MPH versus 75MPH. For such a large vehicle I am happy with the mileage attained. I also know my style of driving at any particular time has the largest impact on MPG. There are always trade offs.

so what do you get at 65 vs 75??

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.