Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Administrator
10,986 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
On November 22, 2019, Subaru initiated a Customer Satisfaction Service Campaign.
  • Type: Customer Satisfaction
  • Service Campaign: WUU06
  • NHTSA Campaign: N/A
  • Date: November 22, 2019
  • Action: ECU Reprogramming C1424
  • Check Your Ascent Here:
Description
In some vehicles, the current software may cause the sub learning value control to operate improperly during the wake-up mode of the ECM. This could cause repeated erroneous learning of the accelerator position which can result in the disabling of the VDC function. When the VDC function is disabled, EyeSight, Reverse Automatic Braking (RAB), and Electronic Parking Brake (EPB) auto release functions are disabled by the VDC fail signal causing the VDC, EyeSight, RAB and EPB warning lamps to illuminate.

Safety Risk
None

Remedy
Subaru retailers will reprogram the ECM.
> Schedule Services <

My Notes:

Mine is in the service campaign group. I have never had this problem, but some others have. If you haven't had such a problem, don't panic. Just get the Service Campaign completed - click the link above to schedule service, or call your favorite Subaru Dealership. Service will probably take an hour, give or take, and of course dependent on how busy they are.
And, if you have experienced these issues, schedule service so they can reprogram your ECU to resolve it.

·
Registered
731 Posts
Ugh. Mine falls in scope of this recall.
Well, it’s already in the shop right now, lol.
Hopefully I can get them to flash it tomorrow!

Thanks for the heads-up Robert!

·
Registered
74 Posts
I just got a 2020 Touring, about 1100 miles so far. Is this something that can wait until the 6K oil change, or should I take it in just for this? That I know of, I've not had this issue at all.

Thanks!

·
Administrator
10,986 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I just got a 2020 Touring, about 1100 miles so far. Is this something that can wait until the 6K oil change, or should I take it in just for this? That I know of, I've not had this issue at all.

Thanks!
First, I'd check to see if your car is in the Service Campaign. If so, yes, you can wait.

Check here:

·
Registered
68 Posts
Robert,
Thanks for taking the time to clean up these recall threads and making them stickies.
Joe

Reactions: Robert.Mauro

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Limited
801 Posts
Got this done today along with the TCM recall.

·
Registered
731 Posts
Got this done a few days ago. Things are different, just not quite sure how yet. Shift points seem different. Throttle aggression seems different. It’s also changing by the day as the ECU relearns.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Is this free or how much are we expecting put pay?

On November 22, 2019, Subaru initiated a Customer Satisfaction Service Campaign.
Description
In some vehicles, the current software may cause the sub learning value control to operate improperly during the wake-up mode of the ECM. This could cause repeated erroneous learning of the accelerator position which can result in the disabling of the VDC function. When the VDC function is disabled, EyeSight, Reverse Automatic Braking (RAB), and Electronic Parking Brake (EPB) auto release functions are disabled by the VDC fail signal causing the VDC, EyeSight, RAB and EPB warning lamps to illuminate.

Safety Risk
None

Remedy
> Schedule Services <

My Notes:

Mine is in the service campaign group. I have never had this problem, but some others have. If you haven't had such a problem, don't panic. Just get the Service Campaign completed - click the link above to schedule service, or call your favorite Subaru Dealership. Service will probably take an hour, give or take, and of course dependent on how busy they are.
And, if you have experienced these issues, schedule service so they can reprogram your ECU to resolve it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I had this done on my wife's late build 2019...it certainly changed shift points and throttle response. My wife who isn't that interested in car specifics even thought it drove smoother.
After my test drive,I can agree, it's just smoother. Those harsh rapid shifts are gone under acceleration and it doesnt fall on its face as much at 20ish mph under light throttle
Happy with the improvement so far and we love our car.
I started with a 1985 gl wagon and we traded in her 2012 outback on the ascent, so always been a subie fan.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Description

Safety Risk
None

Remedy
> Schedule Services <

My Notes:

Hmmmmm. This is interesting. I got the Check Engine light, and what others have called the Christmas tree constellation of warnings indicating all electronic assists were now off yesterday morning (Sunday) on starting the car, ready to continue on my way back to Canada. In Virginia. Annoying and disconcerting, to say the least, since I am carrying four dogs and was at least 1.5 hours from the nearest Subaru dealer In Richmond. Happily, the car got there, and they were able to fit me in. Turned out to be the selfsame ECM Reprogramming for DTC C1424, which they did at no charge And in the nicest possible way. Shoutout to Hyman Bros Subaru and my service agent Jesse Hudso.

All good, but my question is, WAS THIS A RECALL? If so, why didn’t I get it?! Or is this something I am supposed to intuit by stalking the Subaru Ascent Forum ...

·
Registered
74 Posts
I did not get an email or call either I found out on the news and went online plugged my vin and that’s how I knew my car needed it

·
Administrator
10,986 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hmmmmm. This is interesting. I got the Check Engine light, and what others have called the Christmas tree constellation of warnings indicating all electronic assists were now off yesterday morning (Sunday) on starting the car, ready to continue on my way back to Canada. In Virginia. Annoying and disconcerting, to say the least, since I am carrying four dogs and was at least 1.5 hours from the nearest Subaru dealer In Richmond. Happily, the car got there, and they were able to fit me in. Turned out to be the selfsame ECM Reprogramming for DTC C1424, which they did at no charge And in the nicest possible way. Shoutout to Hyman Bros Subaru and my service agent Jesse Hudso.

All good, but my question is, WAS THIS A RECALL? If so, why didn’t I get it?! Or is this something I am supposed to intuit by stalking the Subaru Ascent Forum ...
No, it's not a recall. But, it would eventually show up in your MySubaru app, and eventually the head unit would notify you.

·
Registered
377 Posts

Federal regulations, written 3 decades ago, require snail mail notification before any other type of notification. The recall was announced late in the third week of December(12/19?) which started the 60 day window for mailing out the recall. Snail mail notification apparently went out on Friday, 1/31, as the recall(s) started showing up on peoples' My Subaru page this weekend.

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Limited
801 Posts
The PCV recall popped up in the My Subaru App on Friday and the paper copy was in today's mail.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.