Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Administrator
10,942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
On 2019-11-22, Subaru of America initiated a Safety Recall for the Ascent's PCV Valve. Parts became available December 11th, and should be available for install soon.
Description
The PCV valve may separate and allow engine oil to enter the combustion chamber, resulting in a visible change in appearance and/or the amount of tailpipe exhaust. If driving under this condition continues, separated components from the PCV valve may enter the engine.

Safety Risk
If separated components from the PCV valve enter the engine, the vehicle may experience a loss of motive power, increasing the risk of a crash.

Remedy
Vehicles affected by this recall will require an inspection and potential replacement of the PCV valve.

Educated Guesswork:
If I were to make an educated guess, I would say the risk of motive power loss is ridiculously slim. I base that off of the similar PCV valves recalled for the Crosstrek/Impreza. There are 200,000 vehicles that had the recalled PCV valves, and only 10 of them experienced PCV valve failures in the United States. Of those ten, ZERO experienced loss of motive power.

What's Next?
When Subaru gets the redesigned part, the recall will switch from "Open - Remedy not available" to "Open". At that time, it's time to get your PCV valve checked, and, if necessary, replaced.

I have it on good authority (thanks @FLSubieTech) that parts became available last night, so, if you are on the recall "list", call your dealerships and see if they have the parts and can schedule you.

·
Administrator
10,942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Thanks @FLSubieTech!!! Parts became available last night.

Call your dealership to see if they are ready to schedule this recall service.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Thanks Robert,
Any particular build dates associated with this one? The other two show up for my VIN, but not this one.

·
Registered
680 Posts
i just did WUV07 5 days ago and now(today) WUU06 just pop up ... they all "November 22, 2019 " but not all come up at the same time ...

·
Administrator
10,942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

·
Administrator
10,942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
MORE DETAILS

• Production Dates: FEB 22, 2018 - AUG 31, 2018
  • Check Your Ascent Here:
    https://subaru.com/vehicle-recalls.html/
  • NOTE: You MAY NOT BE IN THIS RECALL. Only 18,193 Ascents are affected out of well over 100,000 Ascents.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Mine is outside this production window, but is billowing oily smoke when parked on an incline. Might this finally be the fix? "Dealer can't replicate" -- "no codes" -- blah blah blah.

·
Registered
270 Posts
My wife got done the WUU06 this morning and the service writers checked for the PCV Valve recall. It hasn't shown up in their system here (Sheehy Subaru in Sprinfield, VA) and they only know of the PCV recall for the Crosstrek and Forester. I told my wife, it will probably show up tonight.

·
Administrator
10,942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Mine is outside this production window, but is billowing oily smoke when parked on an incline. Might this finally be the fix? "Dealer can't replicate" -- "no codes" -- blah blah blah.
If it's billowing oily smoke, they're supposed to check the PCV valve regardless of the recall (among other things, of course).

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Limited
800 Posts
My wife got done the WUU06 this morning and the service writers checked for the PCV Valve recall. It hasn't shown up in their system here (Sheehy Subaru in Sprinfield, VA) and they only know of the PCV recall for the Crosstrek and Forester. I told my wife, it will probably show up tonight.
This PCV recall was listed today for my 7/18 built Limited at Williams Subaru in Lansing MI along with the others, CVT & ECM. Unfortunately, Williams doesn't have parts for the PCV recall yet so I have to wait to be notified. I did get the others done.

·
Registered
680 Posts
no recall on mine (yet)
'The material used for PCV valve case was changed from aluminum to steel "

i was able to get to PCV with a magnet on both of my cars(Forester and Ascent) , both made of steel ...

but have to be sure you are checking PVC(RED) and not other steel(green) around it

·
Registered
913 Posts
Whee! I get to do all 3 recalls!

"Glad" I've been sick and didn't go out and do the CVT update yet. Might as well schedule it to get all 3 done!

·
Registered
86 Posts
If it's billowing oily smoke, they're supposed to check the PCV valve regardless of the recall (among other things, of course).
Thanks Robert. I asked and they are going to "double check" the PCV. Mine isn't in the campaign, apparently, but they said I qualify for the very recently released ECM update, different from the transmission one. Back I go!

·
Registered
12 Posts
When I run my vin to check to see if I had any recall service, this Service Campaign: WUU06 came up and said "incomplete." Does this mean my vehicle is in this group? If I schedule a service with subaru, it should not cost me anything right?

I do noticed that sometimes when I'm driving the Eyesight will go off for about 1 to 2 seconds and then go back on for no particular reason. It wasn't raining or snowing blocking the Eyesight cameras. It have done it about 10 times so far. I'm not sure if it is related to this or not.

·
Super Moderator
2,416 Posts
When I run my vin to check to see if I had any recall service, this Service Campaign: WUU06 came up and said "incomplete." Does this mean my vehicle is in this group? If I schedule a service with subaru, it should not cost me anything right?
no charge for warranty service and recalls ?

·
Registered
12 Posts
When I try to schedule the service, I get the following message one one dealer:

"We are currently unable to schedule repairs online for the Takata Airbag recall. Please contact us by phone at 866-788-7420 with your Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) to schedule. "

and similar message from another dealer:

"We are currently unable to schedule repairs online for the Takata Airbag recall. Please contact Star Subaru by phone at (833-271-0484) with your Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) so that replacement parts can be pre-ordered specifically for your vehicle and you can be notified when parts are available. We apologize for any inconvenience and we hope to see you soon."

Should I call one of those numbers and find out what this is all about? Thanks.

·
Administrator
10,942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Should I call one of those numbers and find out what this is all about? Thanks
Yes, just give them a call. The system is showing you the wrong message.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts