Subaru Ascent Forum banner

21 - 40 of 117 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Can you describe a little more on how your tranny behavior differs from before the update? Does the vehicle feel neutered somehow?
Since my later build date seems to be outside of the TSB, I’m wondering if you just received the same TCM software version I have, or if it’s a different one.
wonder if mine will eventually need to be addressed.
Instead of shifting more sharply, like a TH350, it shifts smoother.

I've seen no performance impact.

I've also seen no off roading impact.

I'll be doing some 0-60 tests this week once the roads dry.

·
Registered
886 Posts
I was just at the dealer on 11/26 for an oil change. I wish I knew of this so that I could have had them perform the update that same day. Does anybody know if the dealer looks for available updates, or if you have to ask for them and/or demonstrate a problem? I know during my first oil change, I requested that any available updates be performed. I got my infotainment updated that day. I wonder what they would have done if I didn't ask.
It is always more effective to be proactive and specifically ask. I will ask for the update at the next oil change.

·
Registered
193 Posts
I like smoother. In fact, I like NO “shifting.” :)
I drove my brand new, adopted 8 year old grand daughter to a school function in my manual pick up truck last week. She asked me why I kept slowing down, then speeding up. I was confused until I played back my driving in my head based on her point of view. Every time I shift, I let off the throttle, do the clutch/ shift thing, then back on the throttle. She's never experienced this, having never been in a stick shift. Ha! I think I aged at least 20 years in her young eyes that day.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Just took mine in for a couple items and tacked on the TCM update. Curious to see if there’s a noticeable difference. This was the first my service advisor had heard of the update.

·
Registered
77 Posts
So far it has definitely tamed my transmission down and vehicle acceleration is more controlled. (race car trans is gone :( I have noticed the MPG is higher which is good. I was averaging about 21 mpg before. I’ll report back in a couple of hundred miles with an update.
Do you feel a difference in the way your Ascent drives after the TCM update? Is the throttle tip in less aggressive after the update?

·
Registered
77 Posts
How do I go about finding the exact date of my Ascent build? I picked up my new Ascent on May 7, 2019 so I'm guessing I should be part of the TCM update.

·
Super Moderator
5,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
How do I go about finding the exact date of my Ascent build? I picked up my new Ascent on May 7, 2019 so I'm guessing I should be part of the TCM update.
Check your driver's door pillar for the VIN and Build tag. It's on the top right (month and year).

·
Registered
4 Posts
My TCM was flashed today. Everything is smooth. Only thing i see is that the Low end Torque has reduced a little bit. The car does not start with a minor punch which it used to.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Would the car's "memory" of the driver's driving habits and subsequent tailoring of whatever-it-is (I think that's the scientific term) be erased with the TCM update?

If so, that's something to keep in mind as we get updated and try to notice changes.

Mine isn't showing yet, but I need to take it in for 24K soon.

F.S.

·
Super Moderator
5,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
So do you all think the ECU got flashed in addition to the TCM? A less aggressive map?
I don't think so.

Also, I tested and got about the same 0-60 results.

I think they smoothed the CVT operations in earlier TCM software, and, since the update is likely based on that, we are seeing those improvements as well.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Writing this as I’m briefly parked after picking up my Ascent at the dealer so I apologize if this has been answered already...
Where does the dealer get the update from? I informed them of the update yesterday and when I picked it up today they hadn’t updated it because ‘the update was too new and they don’t have it yet’.

·
Super Moderator
5,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Writing this as I’m briefly parked after picking up my Ascent at the dealer so I apologize if this has been answered already...
Where does the dealer get the update from? I informed them of the update yesterday and when I picked it up today they hadn’t updated it because ‘the update was too now and they don’t have it yet’.
SubaruNet. It's possible only a limited number of employees there have access, and no one has downloaded it yet.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I don't think so.

Also, I tested and got about the same 0-60 results.

I think they smoothed the CVT operations in earlier TCM software, and, since the update is likely based on that, we are seeing those improvements as well.
The 0-60 has not changed but i can guarantee that 0-30 has changed the intitial throttle is less agressive

·
Super Moderator
5,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #40 (Edited)
The 0-60 has not changed but i can guarantee that 0-30 has changed the intitial throttle is less agressive
Kind of.

For Ascents with earlier TCM software, it's changed. The CVT shift response is less aggressive. That makes is seem slower.

But, early acceleration isn't slower either. I had the earliest TCM software, with the aggressive shifts, including that first very aggressive acceleration shift, but, there's no difference in actual performance - just in the way it feels.
  • 60' pre update: 2.884s
  • 60' post update: 2.893s
That's a hundredth of a second difference. Or, basically, no difference.

By the way, I thought the exact same thing, but my butt dyno was wrong, lol. 😂

I used the @COBB Tuning AccessPort for all my runs.

21 - 40 of 117 Posts