Subaru Ascent Forum banner

1 - 20 of 117 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
There is an upcoming TCM reprogramming update released to prevent chain slip concerns. Vehicles built from February 22nd 2018 through May 7th, 2019 are included in the Service Campaign.

You will receive an email, mail, head unit notification and/or MySubaru notification if and when your car should be brought in for update.
Additionally, you can check your vehicle here:
It will take approximately 45 minutes to perform the service. It will take a little longer if the CVT hydraulic sensor harness needs to be replaced.
  • DTC codes will be inspected after a drive test, and if certain DTCs are present, the hydraulic sensor harness will be replaced with an updated part. If vehicles are confirmed to have experienced, or are currently experiencing low drive chain tension, the transmission assembly will be replaced. For each potentially affected vehicle, all remedy repairs necessary will be completed at no cost.
NOTES:
  • This has nothing to do with how people perceive the fake shifting, or the variable ratio action of the CVT on hills, or the chirp when first started and immediately shifted (those are normal).
  • Do NOT panic. I drove an Ascent in that date range, for over 45,000 miles, without issue. Mine was just updated, when I went in to have a tire fixed.
  • The Recall and Service Campaign will NOT show up on MySubaru or the recall page until after your car hits the update schedule and notification is sent to you.
  • As promised, Subaru wasn't going to let us down.
  • IF you have one of the earliest TCM software, where your shifting is "harsher"/more aggressive, you will find that your shifting will be smoother and your car will seem less peppy (it's not).
  • If you have one of the most recent TCM softwares, you probably won't notice any change in shifting behavior.
Performance/Driveability Impacts?
NONE.
As for performance, performance is the same. Yes, I tested, with almost a thousand miles of testing so far (timed, and abusive off-roading).

In 0-60 tests and 60 foot acceleration tests, the end results of my testing, as tracked with a Cobb AccessPort, were near identical. For instance, initial acceleration feels a bit slower, but I got only a hundredth of a second difference on the clock.
Also, I found no lack of torque at any RPM or speed range, including while off-roading this past Sunday.

Summary: The smoother shifts do not equate changes in performance.

#SubaruAmbassador #SubaruAmbassadorRobert

In the event you do not believe your situation is being handled appropriately, you can contact Subaru of America directly (the dealerships are not SoA) at Subaru customer service at 1-844-373-6614. Subaru's number for this recall is WUV-07. Owners may also contact the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration Vehicle Safety Hotline at 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), or go to www.safercar.gov.

·
Registered
886 Posts
Good to have the heads up. No concerns here. I have confidence in Subaru. That does not include no issues arise, just that they will take care of them.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Thanks very much for posting this Robert, I've never been worried about the CVT or Subaru standing behind it, just wanted more information which Subaru and you have provided.

My build date is July 2018 so I'll expect to get a notification at some point.

·
Super Moderator
5,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Robert.

I have a build date of 08/19. Safe to assume I'll never need this particular update?
As of the current information, correct.

·
Super Moderator
5,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Rob, do you have any idea what the update entails? Is it a hardware change? Software?
TCM = Transmission Control Module. I suspect just a software update
Correct. It's an update to the transmission control module software (TCM reprogramming file).

Thanks guys. I've made the original post clearer.

·
Super Moderator
5,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

·
Registered
4 Posts
I drove my 2019 Ascent from AZ to FL and back. Twice while using adaptive cruise while approaching a slower vehicle, my vehicle started to slow down and then when that vehicle moved over and my Ascent started to try to accelerate, it “slipped” and clunked pretty hard into gear. Trans acted like it was in neutral for a second. Told this symptom to my advisor at Subaru of Chandler and they performed this software update of the TCM. So far it has definitely tamed my transmission down and vehicle acceleration is more controlled. (race car trans is gone :( I have noticed the MPG is higher which is good. I was averaging about 21 mpg before. I’ll report back in a couple of hundred miles with an update.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Yeah, I get the "clunk" occasionally as well. I guess between that and my issue with the radio cutting out when text messages appear in CarPlay, I'm going to have to bring it in.

·
Super Moderator
5,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Any changes to the morning chirp ?
None whatsoever. That much I'd already confirmed.

But, I figured I'd test it out to see if it changed anything about it at all, and the answer to that is also no.

At 45,488 miles, mine still chirps the same way it has since day one.

NOTES:
  • This has nothing to do with how people perceive the fake shifting, or the variable ratio action of the CVT on hills, or the chirp when first started and immediately shifted (those are normal).

·
Registered
4 Posts
Went for a a checkup. My TCM Update was not showing up on My Subaru App. But he checked it up and it surely does have that in the system. He said that this Applies to specific VIN Numbers. Mine is a July 2018 Ascent. They are going to Re-Program the TCM for me.

·
Registered
744 Posts
I was just at the dealer on 11/26 for an oil change. I wish I knew of this so that I could have had them perform the update that same day. Does anybody know if the dealer looks for available updates, or if you have to ask for them and/or demonstrate a problem? I know during my first oil change, I requested that any available updates be performed. I got my infotainment updated that day. I wonder what they would have done if I didn't ask.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
I will be getting my 12K oil change and rotation while traveling this month to Florida to check on my 89yo kid/mother and do plan on asking them to check on this update while I'm at that dealership service department...mine is within the date range so should likely be part of the action.

·
Registered
145 Posts
So far it has definitely tamed my transmission down and vehicle acceleration is more controlled. (race car trans is gone :( I have noticed the MPG is higher which is good. I was averaging about 21 mpg before. I’ll report back in a couple of hundred miles with an update.
Can you describe a little more on how your tranny behavior differs from before the update? Does the vehicle feel neutered somehow?
Since my later build date seems to be outside of the TSB, I’m wondering if you just received the same TCM software version I have, or if it’s a different one.
wonder if mine will eventually need to be addressed.

1 - 20 of 117 Posts