Subaru Ascent Forum banner

181 - 192 of 192 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #181
I think it's interesting to note the disconnect between the Subaru recall page, https://www.subaru.com/vehicle-recalls.html and mysubaru.com. The recall page lists 3 recalls for my VIN, the mysubaru site shows nothing. So I think the vehicle-recalls page is a better place to check than mysubaru.com. Maybe mysubaru.com gets updated after the customer is actually selected for "their turn" in the recall campaign.
There isn't a disconnect. MySubaru is an app with notifications. The website is not.

Subaru is required to send you a snail mail notification as method of notification. That has to come first, as the MySubaru app shows.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Went in for the TCM reprogramming and chain slip check up today. The attendant says that none of the Ascents that have come in for the reprogramming have shown any prior CVT issues.
As far as the driving feels it seems the same or maybe slightly better in accelerating. I'm hoping for an increase in mpg. Not as high as advertised yet. Maybe that's not to be expected of a fully loaded Touring?

·
Super Moderator
6,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #183
I'm hoping for an increase in mpg. Not as high as advertised yet. Maybe that's not to be expected of a fully loaded Touring?
I have a fully loaded Touring, and, when I want, I can beat the EPA mpg ratings.

I rarely want to. Using that turbo is fun. 😉😂

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
I have a fully loaded Touring, and, when I want, I can beat the EPA mpg ratings.
Ditto...I actually do generally beat them on both ends...although I almost never do any hard-urban driving.

·
Registered
5 Posts

I rarely want to. Using that turbo is fun. 😉😂
Yeh, that's probably what my problem is too now that I think about it.
We had a Honda Odyssey with the 3.5L VTech before getting the Ascent. I loved the "smile" on people's faces when a minivan leaves them off the light. So I wasn't expecting the Ascent to be nearly as quick... I was surprised. Was never a Subaru guy before but this whip has changed my mind for several reasons.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I did my WUV07 work at the dealer yesterday. Looks like they did not do the "Test Drive" since my odometer mileage-in and mileage-out were identical. When I went to collect my vehicle I showed them the Subaru flow cart for this recall which clearly specifies the "Test Drive" step. They were clueless and put me in front of a technician who basically said that this is only a software update and no driving is needed.

The report says "Performed inspection as per recall. No codes in memory and no noise heard from CVT. Performed TCM software update as per recall."

So has the recall been properly performed or should I escalate my experience with NHTSA and Subaru? I have before and after photos of my odometer and have verbally registered my concern with the dealer requesting a call back from the service manager. I'm spooked reading this thread too. Looks like many dealers are taking a shortcut for this recall.

The stall test is not done on the highway, or even when the car is driving. Here's a small snippet of the basic procedure. The car is forced to be immobile during the test, so, no mileage changes.

1. Place wheel chocks at the front and rear of all wheels and engage the parking brake.

2. Turn the A/C OFF.

3. Using the Subaru Select Monitor, check if the throttle valve operates when you depress the accelerator pedal. Subaru Select Monitor > OPERATION">

Only the road test is done on the road, and the highway isn't necessary for that. 😉
I was in the shop on 12/12/19 for a check engine light caused by WUU06, and they went ahead and performed the WUV07 work as well. Or so the report says, but I noticed the "mileage in" was 18433 and the "mileage out" was only 18434. Could they really have done the proper testing with only 1 mile on the odometer? The highway is miles away.

Report says: TCM reprogramming, Includes: DTC Check, Stall Test and Test Drive A186-701 0.9 WUV-07.

I wonder, does the "0.9" indicate the mileage of the test drive?

Reading this thread has got me spooked.

·
Registered
15 Posts
They racked up a total of 0.4 miles doing the recall on mine according to the trip meter. The odo said 1 mile. Unless they count driving from check-in to the shop and back as a test drive, one was not performed.
Same experience when I went in yesterday. No change in odometer reading. Is a "test drive" required for this recall as the service documents says or is it optional? Why is Subaru leaving it to interpretation?

·
Registered
15 Posts
I can ‘confirm’ this. I reviewed all the dashcam footage from the last couple days while they had my Ascent. It appears they did the stall test at 10:18 on 12/17 sitting in the service garage. It didn’t last long and it was a little strange watching the car rev up in-gear indoors but not really move!
Does you drivecam footage show any road driving?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Is there a way of telling if the TCM was updated correctly as part of this recall? I had my recall done last week, and just noticed that the updated CID number on the service record the dealer gave me is incorrect. It reads DF072545 instead of R8FEF700 that it should read as per the recall notice.

The car was driven over 500 miles over the weekend, and drove Similar to before. I am worried that they never updated the TCM, or worse updated it with the wrong file (is this even possible?).

·
Registered
215 Posts
I got the update last weekend and the shifting does feel smoother to us. We both feel it was a good improvement in overall driveability. They also did an engine ECU update which may contribute to my perception.

·
Registered
856 Posts
I got the update last weekend and the shifting does feel smoother to us. We both feel it was a good improvement in overall driveability. They also did an engine ECU update which may contribute to my perception.
Yes, before I had my recalls done I figured people's reactions to it were just the placebo effect. But after I had them done, I too can feel a measurable difference.

181 - 192 of 192 Posts