Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello.
I've been reading the forum for a while,we just picked up a 2019 premium 7 seater with the factory hitch installed. I own a 2018 jayco x17z that I tow with my xterra and look forward to using the ascent once I'm past the break in period. I dont see much mention of hybrids so wanted to put a picture up. Personally I prefer hybrids,I like sleeping in the tent ends and gives a lot more room. We are a family of 4,2 girls 5 and 7 and this a perfect size for us. We came from a starcraft hybrid we had for years..
Gvw on the 2018s is 3900, prior years were less so limited on cargo capacity..

·
Registered
573 Posts
We looked at a few hybrids in our shopping, but given the amount of rain and thunderstorms we deal with especially during the summer we thought it prudent to stick with a hardside trailer. Very nice looking rig and I am sure the Ascent will tow it well.

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Premium
366 Posts
That is a good looking trailer. I noticed that Jayco lists the dry hitch weight as 410 lbs. Have you weighed the hitch weight fully loaded, including battery and propane? My only concern would be it coming very close, or exceeding, the Ascent's 500 lb hitch weight limit. On our 2019 Jayco 154BH the dry hitch weight of 305 lbs translated to 368 lbs once the 30 lb propane tank was filled, battery added, and loaded for one person, including putting most of the load in the storage compartment behind the axle.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks..we do like it,small enough but is full featured. Yeah, I'm aware and haven't weighed it yet for the ascent. But on my list to do..On my xterra it was never a concern its heavily modified and I used a wdh. For whatever reason the x17z does have a heavy hitch weight. I do load a lot behind the axle in the bathroom or centered on the axle.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Many of these travel trailers are engineered for tow vehicles with 1000 lbs max tongue weight - which makes planning a bit more difficult with owning a TV like the Ascent and its 500 lbs tongue weight limit. It gets more complicated once you get the water tanks filled. It is a fine balancing act, literally.

If you've got time, good with wood working and wouldn't mind making holes in your trailer, I'd say go the cargo trailer camper conversion route. That way you can 100% dictate weight distribution. Otherwise you're at the mercy of these manufacturers.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Finally did a shakedown run in preparation of a trip labor day weekend. I was pleasantly surprised at how well it towed,much better than my lifted xterra,granted that's an off road rig.
I used a anderson drop hitch set up for about 2 inches of droop to be level and was pretty close I think I had 2.5 of rear suspension droop. And wired in my p3 brake controller. Overall very happy and looking forward to getting it into the mountains of Vermont in a few weeks.
Pic just for reference,this is unhitched.

Attachments

1 - 6 of 6 Posts