Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The inverter was one of the features from the Touring I really wanted... but I got a 2019 limited so it was just a blank out panel. Kids got laptops for school due to Covid so now we're sometimes pulling Watts to cover 3 charging laptops on road trips between mom and the kids. Seems the subaru inverter might not have covered it anyhow. so I've been planning a while and checking wiring ideas from other projects in the forum and finally put it all together before we start into holiday trips. Below is the 200W Pure Sine inverter install I just completed.

Feedback requested if anything I did here seems like a bad idea... Following anything I did is at your own risk. I'm no pro.

Parts list below, a few install pictures, followed by finished product pictures. Further install comments along the way.

Inverter
-Selected for quality power & wattage that is safely within 20W.
-20W is the largest fuse currently in the fuse panel under the steering wheel (the "cigar" circuit), I don't commonly use the 12V ports so that amperage is mostly unused

Remote switch for the inverter
-By default the inverter is off all the time until unless I power it up by pushing this button after turning on the car.

110v Outlet
15A Weatherproof Outdoor Power Outlet by Journeyman-Pro 15 Amp 125 Volt NEMA 5-15R Receptacle Kit with Integrated 20" Extension Cord + Waterproof Rubber Cover (GCR1-BLACK) - - Amazon.com
-Slight modification of the opening in the console to a 1.75" circle

Fusetap
Amazon.com: General Technologies GTC062 GTC06X Fuse Socket Connector Kit: Automotive
-standard piggyback fuse taps could only be found in 14AWG or 16AWG while the rest of the wiring was to be 10AWG
-this tap allowed for a direct wire connection and inline fuse
-Plugged into position 7 to power up only when the vehicle is ON

10AWG Wire
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01ABOPO2S
-the inverter manual called for minimal voltage drop.
-With a run of only ~6 feet of wire 12AWG likely Ok but 10AWG is easily covering <2% voltage drop asked for in the manual.

10AWG in line fuse holder (changed to 20amp)
Amazon.com: In-Line Car ATC/ATO Blade Fuse Holder 10AWG Upto 40A 12V/24V/32V DC, OFC strands: Automotive

Wire sheathing for the hidden wire run
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B071JH14WZ
-one size larger would have been easier to work with

Various connectors from Amazon and local auto parts store

The Fuse Tap (inline fuse holder tucked behind dash panel to left

The ground screw behind the left kick panel just inside the door (referenced from other forum postings)

Wiring runs from panel to under the seat via a wire tunnel just under the carpet here

Chassis ground to the mounting screw for the black housing under driver seat.

inverter feet wedge under the existing housing and it's in place pretty tight. I may mount more securely in future to further remove from a passengers kick space

the on/off remote mounted in the fuse panel is barely visible from driver perspective.

Plug open for use. the cover could be removed and can be rotated to open in other 90deg directions. the outlet is actually secured by 2 small screws which were not yet mounted here.

Closed up - I've tucked a small extension cord into the back of my seat which can allow for plugging multiple devices.

A gratuitous travel shot of the Ascent in question

·
Registered
639 Posts
that's quite the setup.. kinda spendy for me. :D I went the cheap route and works fine for my needs.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
that's quite the setup.. kinda spendy for me. :D I went the cheap route and works fine for my needs
Cool! if I had seen your post before I would have hit you up with questions. It’s a spendy inverter I suppose but I had issues with a lesser one plugged to the rear socket of the car. And wanted it always there but never in the way. It’s a good reference that yours is working well also.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Right now advanced auto have these inverters on really discounted sale. It doesn't have the remote but we only use it every now and then. The cigarette lighter option is nice as a secondary option for other goodies. I've tapped the hot as well so it always stay hot.

Edit:. I just slide the inverter under the seat during use.

·
Premium Member
345 Posts
Wow really cool install, and thanks for the informative pics; very helpful!

Two questions, one specific, one broad:
Specific to your installation: Did you consider using the OEM Outlet and wiring this inverter to it? (Far right, Fig 830 "Socket")

Broadly: I've done the search, sort of ... I have not seen if the OEM inverter can be retrofit into a vehicle that did not have it installed. Can it be done? I can see this being useful to power a telescope's auto tracking system without chewing through loads of batteries.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Broadly: I've read in other posts there are wiring harness differences and that retrofit was not possible without significant removal and replacement of parts.

That said... I did visit the parts site several times but never did find the PN for the socket. wiring any inverter to the OEM socket would be a clean approach for sure. Searching "Socket" just now I see this page and graphic may give the actual parts. Even the inverter itself is identified in this graphic and linked on the page. Descriptive info on the page is so scant it's hard to tell what you would get.

·
Registered
639 Posts
just the harness and the inverter alone is close to $200. not to mention the relays and other parts needed.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts