Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Ascent has ~2000 miles on it. It started bucking violently at high and low speeds. I took it to the service department. They told me that many new Subaru owners complain that the CVT stutters a little bit. He said he’d have the tech take a look. They came back an hour and a half later and told me something vague about the engine and how they flushed it but it was still happening. Then he told me they would likely have to replace the engine and didn’t know the timeline.

They sent me home in a base model Forrester (not fresh). It’s been four days and they don’t have any kind of answer for me as to what is going on.

Anyone else have something similar? This isn’t giving me great faith that this car is going to be reliable.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
I edited the quote to potentially make sense. The key word was "they flushed it", which lead me to believe that the quite common car maintenance task is to change the tranny oil by flushing it out.
My Ascent has ~2000 miles on it. It started bucking violently at high and low speeds. I took it to the service department. They told me that many new Subaru owners complain that the CVT stutters a little bit. He said he’d have the tech take a look. They came back an hour and a half later and told me something vague about the [tranny] and how they flushed it but it was still happening. Then he told me they would likely have to replace the [tranny] and didn’t know the timeline.

They sent me home in a base model Forrester (not fresh). It’s been four days and they don’t have any kind of answer for me as to what is going on.

Anyone else have something similar? This isn’t giving me great faith that this car is going to be reliable.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I edited the quote to potentially make sense. The key word was "they flushed it", which lead me to believe that the quite common car maintenance task is to change the tranny oil by flushing it out.
My Ascent has ~2000 miles on it. It started bucking violently at high and low speeds. I took it to the service department. They told me that many new Subaru owners complain that the CVT stutters a little bit. He said he’d have the tech take a look. They came back an hour and a half later and told me something vague about the [tranny] and how they flushed it but it was still happening. Then he told me they would likely have to replace the [tranny] and didn’t know the timeline.

No, he specifically told me it was the engine. One of the cylinders was misfiring or something.

After I posted they gave me an update. “One of the spark pugs was bad. We can have it ready for you sometime next week”. What?!? It’s going to take a week to change the spark plug? I’m skeptical at best. I’m concerned about the damage to the valve while it was “misfiring”.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
No, he specifically told me it was the engine. One of the cylinders was misfiring or something.

After I posted they gave me an update. “One of the spark pugs was bad. We can have it ready for you sometime next week”. What?!? It’s going to take a week to change the spark plug? I’m skeptical at best. I’m concerned about the damage to the valve while it was “misfiring”.
Poke and prod by challenging them to show you the bad plugs, that's if you care to know the truth.

·
Registered
764 Posts
Poke and prod by challenging them to show you the bad plugs, that's if you care to know the truth.
Chances are they wouldn't keep the plug or can easily find a plug in the garbage from another car.

But hopefully it wasn't anything too serious and you can get your car back.

·
Registered
561 Posts
That sucks. Can never trust anyone these days. Brought my truck into a shop and had the parts in the backseat, picked it up a few days later and parked it in my garage and turned around and all the parts were still there and had just laid out about $800 of hard earned cash. They had a crappy excuse and had to call them multiple times to get my money back.

I do mostly all my own work now, but if i do have somebody else work on my cars I always check their work and mark bolts if needed to see if they were removed.

Brought my bass boat in for a random no start issue this summer and ended up bringing it back twice as i don't like to work on outboards and still had same issue after shelling out small fortune. I told them I've read the lift pump could be the issue, but they said no....bought the lift pump and install myself and solved the issue. I guess even certified mechanics throw parts at problems and hope for the best...just more money for them if it doesn't.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Bucking could be related to torque converter...that could about a weeks job if they have to order the part.

Reactions: kbskayaker

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
That does sound a little strange that it takes an entire week to order/install a spark plug. My thought is that they are stalling while the truly defective is being ordered and delivered. Didn't the engine/transmission throw a code of some kind that could be verified by the dealer?

So sorry to hear about this problem. Hope they solve it to your satisfaction.

After seeing the update below, I would not be worried. The coil pack failed prematurely. Nothing to be worried about. It's probably a one time occurrence. Your engine will be fine. Glad they were able to narrow down the problem and it is not the transmission or any expensive fix with the engine.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So the tech just texted me and said they were replacing the coil pack and one of the spark plugs.

I’m concerned that the spark plug and coil pack are bad at 2,000 miles. Seems like the likely culprits are spark plug with the wrong gap or valve issues. Anybody got other ideas?

·
Registered
932 Posts
Well, I'm glad they were able to locate the issue. That's what the warranty is there for. Unusual, but appears to be a defect in the component itself.

Please follow up once it's all fixed up.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
So the tech just texted me and said they were replacing the coil pack and one of the spark plugs.

I’m concerned that the spark plug and coil pack are bad at 2,000 miles. Seems like the likely culprits are spark plug with the wrong gap or valve issues. Anybody got other ideas?
The idea of pointing the issue of the coil w/ the gap or valve condition is such a huge forensic task. @2K miles, that coil should not fail, obviously. the only thing to take note is the consistency of the replaced coil and move on.

I suggest you have a talk w/ the mechanic, bypass the service adviser bc of the inconsistent info given already, and figure out why they changed the spark plug. Also ask if there was engine code that was thrown. Otherwise, I wouldn't worry too much and enjoy the Ascent. These things happen and it's unfortunate that it happened to you.

·
Registered
119 Posts
A friend of mine in Mass had over 3K miles on his Ascent when he noticed the transmission felt like it was slipping. He had to bring it back in multiple times before they agreed the CVT needed to be replaced. He’s scheduled to finally get it back this week. In total he’s had a loaner for around 4 weeks.

·
Registered
646 Posts
A coil pack could go bad; no manufacturing process is 100% perfect. If it doesn't fix it you still have a warranty and the opportunity to keep working towards a solution. It sucks to go through for sure so I feel for ya.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Had the same issue.... Service checked coil packs, data logged, on the phone with Subaru Japan for an hour and a half. Directed to replace engine. Engine replaced, just got it back two days ago and still doing the same thing. Taking it back tomorrow.

·
Administrator
10,986 Posts

Though it's ridiculously rare for a coil pack in a Subie to go bad (especially if they're Densos, which are globally ridiculously well rated), it happens. Especially if something wasn't installed properly.

I could see damaging the connector in the coil pack boot causing the need to replace both coil pack and plug. It will arc from the connector to the spark plug which will damage the plug.

Actually, I have seen that. The arcing damages the spark plug terminal. So, the damaged coil pack "costs" you the plug as well. Hopefully it's just that simple.

A damaged plug could damage the coil pack as well... something as simple as a mis-gapped plug (depending of course on how badly gapped it is) can damage a coil pack. That can happen either because it wasn't gapped properly to begin with (I've had "pre-gapped" ones come wrong - I always check), or because the electrode bumped into something during installation (or during pre-install storage) which changed the gap.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Our Ascent has 2500 miles and also in the shop for over a week with no resolution. I've not been happy with its performance. Stop and go it would stall a bit and not impressive highway performance ascending hills. They found gas in the oil pan. Still waiting on the Subaru engineer to return for a second time. Had a 6cyl Tribeca for 12 years with no real issues so this is exceptionally disappointing.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Sure would have been great to hear what the final resolution was from the OP...

Reactions: ttrenberth
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.