Subaru Ascent Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all:

I'm looking to pick up an Ascent Limited (Canada) over the next couple days. I'm trying to work out the best way to handle winter tires. I'm from warmer climates and have not thought about winter driving, so apologies if these are basic questions. The car I am getting comes with 20 inch wheels and tires. I was planning on getting a separate set of winter tires and rims to save cost and time swapping them twice a year, but it's a bit more expensive than with my last, smaller car.

Can someone confirm if I can get 18 inch wheels and tires and switch back and forth each year, or will this cause issues for the cars diagnostic/safety equipment. In one forum, someone said "The only thing you will have to do (2019-2020 Ascents) is have them register the different TPMS to the car." Is that something anyone swapping the tires could do or only a Subaru dealer?

If it matters, here are the wheels I am looking at:

Tires they had mentioned were:
  • Champiro GT Radial IcePro SUV3
  • Yokohama Iceguard G075
Wheels are priced well, tires seem a little less so. I could get the wheels with the dealer and then go buy tires elsewhere, but not sure if they'll be worth the time and effort in the end.

We are a family, and don't have a ton of driving needs in the winter. Trying to keep the ride quiet and comfortable, while remaining safe, but no real special driving needs. Yokohama seem to be better reviewed, fairly anecdotally, so was leaning that way, but they are more expensive as well.

Any thoughts or warnings would be appreciated!

·
Registered
595 Posts
I swap from 20s to 18s in the winter. I actually found the general arctics that I have on my car for the winter to be better all around than the falkens were (I have since replaced the OE falkens with something else due to a nail in one of them).
I'm not sure if you have TPMS up there, but they reflash it every time I swap the wheels and everything is fine.
With the general winter tires, I didn't notice any excessive squishiness even in warmer temperatures, despite the thicker sidewall having gone to 18" wheels. For what it's worth, I know the people at my tire shop pretty well, and they strongly advised against the Yokohama iceguards (this was 3 years ago now). If there is a newer version maybe you can give that a shot, but they did not like the original ones.

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
2,412 Posts
Aside from a potential weight difference, 18" or 20" wheels provide the same service to the vehicle. Tire diameter is what stays constant with either wheel choice at OEM size; just the aspect ratio (sidewall height) is different. So yes, you can switch back and forth seasonally all you want. I don't believe that Canadian Ascents have TPMS, so that's not something you have to deal with. (Your account shows you as being in the US, however)

Please note that any wheels you choose must meet the load ratings that Ascent requires. There are multiple threads about wheel and tire choices here to explore.

·
Registered
419 Posts
I went the other way. Blizzaks on the OEM 20's for REAL winter driving in the mountain passes, 18" All terrain the rest of time.

·
Registered
2020 Ascent Touring
28 Posts
Keep an eye on load rating for your winter wheel setup. Looks like the ones you linked to, are rated at 1653 lb /750 kg per wheel. I believe it should be rated higher at minimum 1800 lb.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I went with the G075. Haven’t had a chance to use them in the conditions they were designed for, but they’re smooth on pavement. FYI, no TPMS in Canada, so no worries there.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I went with the G075. Haven’t had a chance to use them in the conditions they were designed for, but they’re smooth on pavement. FYI, no TPMS in Canada, so no worries there.
Really happy with these tires. Got a chance to try them in winter conditions and the Ascent was like a mountain goat in the hills, unstoppable.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts