Subaru Ascent Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got my 2020 ascent (which is an awesome upgrade from the 2018 Outback, especially with 3 kids!!) and am looking for anyone out there with hands on experience with the following:

I have 17inch K02's from my 2018 Outback and they were epic in winter for me, but they are 225/65/17, so I don't believe they are compatible with the Ascent? Perhaps @Robert.Mauro can weigh in on this as I know he found a 17 inch rim that's good with the caliper issues of the Ascent, but maybe they are little narrow at 225?

Other alternatives are just swapping out the all seasons each winter on the 20 inch rims, but my concern is potential rubbing and ride quality with a larger rim and smaller sidewall vs an 18.

Option 3, get a while new set up with 18 inch rims for winters, but here I only seem to be able to find decent priced rims with 40mm offset, 55 is a pain or expensive as it's only OEM rims I can find, but I know 40 mm offset is potentially an issue.

All input appreciated here

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
7,425 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Robert, without sounding like someone who knows little (guilty) about this, the 225 might be a little narrow then vs the stock tire.

·
Super Moderator
7,425 Posts
Thanks Robert, without sounding like someone who knows little (guilty) about this, the 225 might be a little narrow then vs the stock tire.
Correct. But they're also an inch shorter.

The speedometer will be off a decent amount.

Overall, it's a different size.

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
1,987 Posts
without sounding like someone who knows little (guilty) about this, the 225 might be a little narrow then vs the stock tire.
Narrower isn't such a problem in the winter especially in snow. The issue is that the 225/65R17 you have isn't big enough in diameter because of only having a 65 aspect ratio. The 245/65R17 that Robert mentions is the correct diameter.

Reactions: Robert.Mauro

·
Registered
530 Posts
Narrower/wider in wintry conditions is always a weird play - any actual gain/loss in traction under such conditions can be highly dependent on exactly what the contact patches are seeing, and there's also considerable differences based on the physics of what's "on top of those tires" (i.e. vehicle mass distribution, drivetrain -including any electronic assist -, etc.). This was one of those things that the Europeans/Scandinavians really tried to dissect a few years ago, and the data was really all over the board, if one were to read the different test and examine the raw data in-detail. This is not to even mention differences in just what tires are being used, period. It's really, really hard to say that narrower - or wider, for that matter - is outright "better."

Overall, @munkycothey , I would say that if you don't mind the slight loss in ground clearance, if you're really hard-up for the money, it might be worth a try, particularly if you're friendly with someone in the tire shop and they can dismount/mount this set for you for a discounted labor rate.

If you are intent on doing so, I would be sure to check the tire's load rating, as well as to remember that what you saw with the OB, with all the differences that implies (see above), may or may not carry over to your Ascent.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Thanks for the input folks, also for the links and background knowledge. I've learned a lot about how the offset, diameter, width and sidewall come into play.

Someone made me an offer on the old K02s, so with those extra few bucks I'll be looking at going with an 18 inch set up. The website link (https://tiresize.com/wheel-offset-calculator/) for the tire and wheel comparison shows the 18 inch set up I'm looking at is very close to the 20 inch with no compromise in speedo accuracy, so will give this set up a try.

If anyone is interested, pmc tire in Canada will mount and balance the tire/wheel package in advance and ship for free, so I'm looking at a set of Matt black Touren T60 rims 18x8 and either the Yokohama Ice Guards or Blizzak DMv2s (245/60/18) for $1400 or 1600 CAD ready to install..

Looking at the 0.59 inch difference due to the offset below, I would expect this not to interfere or rub and work out nicely (correct me if I'm wrong please!! :)). Doesn't look bad either!

1569426849803.png
1569426872426.png
1569426879381.png
1569427477339.png

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
7,425 Posts
See if the Kumho Road Venture AT51s are available. I thoroughly love them.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Thanks for the input folks, also for the links and background knowledge. I've learned a lot about how the offset, diameter, width and sidewall come into play.

Someone made me an offer on the old K02s, so with those extra few bucks I'll be looking at going with an 18 inch set up. The website link (https://tiresize.com/wheel-offset-calculator/) for the tire and wheel comparison shows the 18 inch set up I'm looking at is very close to the 20 inch with no compromise in speedo accuracy, so will give this set up a try.

If anyone is interested, pmc tire in Canada will mount and balance the tire/wheel package in advance and ship for free, so I'm looking at a set of Matt black Touren T60 rims 18x8 and either the Yokohama Ice Guards or Blizzak DMv2s (245/60/18) for $1400 or 1600 CAD ready to install..

Looking at the 0.59 inch difference due to the offset below, I would expect this not to interfere or rub and work out nicely (correct me if I'm wrong please!! :)). Doesn't look bad either!

View attachment 1621 View attachment 1622 View attachment 1623 View attachment 1625
I am looking at the same situation for my Ascent. Let me know if the 40 offset works as that is what I am looking at in a 18 inch wheel and 245 60 18 winter tires.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Hey, joining the discussion kinda late.
when I bought my Ascent last January, as it was the dead winter of mid-January, Downtown Subaru gave me a great deal on winter tires and a set of OEM 20” wheels. Maybe it was stuck in stock and kinda late in the season, anyway, that was a great match. They freed up room and I got the oem look on winter shoes.

I took delivery of the car on January 15th but only got them installed on the 19th. After swapping the falkens for these the difference was night and day.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
7,425 Posts
Does anyone in here know anyone running this 17” combo on their Ascent?
Well, me, obviously. :ROFLMAO:
  • I was running Liquid Metal Shadows with 245/65R17 Kumho Road Venture AT51's.

• I am currently running Liquid Metal Shadows with 245/65R17 BF Goodrich All Terrain T/A KO2's.
I know people running the Method MR502's and Liquid Metal Shadows, in 17" size.

Here's my beast on the BFG KO2's - 3,500 happy miles on the KO2's so far

Here it is on the Kumhos - 50,100 happy miles on the Kumhos

Here's links to more

I highly recommend the BF Goodrich KO2's if you're doing anything approaching as serious as what I do with my car, but, the Kumhos also handled everything really well (I just plan on doing even more this year).

·
Registered
2019 Touring
15 Posts
Well, me, obviously. :ROFLMAO:
  • I was running Liquid Metal Shadows with 245/65R17 Kumho Road Venture AT51's.
  • I am currently running Liquid Metal Shadows with 245/65R17 BF Goodrich All Terrain T/A KO2's.
I know people running the Method MR502's and Liquid Metal Shadows, in 17" size.

Here's my beast on the BFG's

Here it is on the Kumhos

Here's links to more

I highly recommend the BF Goodrich KO2's if you're doing anything approaching as serious as what I do with my car, but, the Kumhos also handled everything really well (I just plan on doing even more this year).
Great pics! How are the KO2s on MPG? I haven’t had a set of those on anything yet; I’ve had a set of the previous gen on a truck. I’ve noticed the weight of the Method wheel and a KO2 is just about what an OEM 20” one is, 62.3 vs 63. Wondering how much the tread design will affect it. I’ve heard that the KO2 is a lot quieter than the first gen. The reason I’d go to the 17” vs 18” would mainly be tire selection, mostly for the KO2 but of course to get a little more sidewall as well.

We are going somewhere off-road usually 1-2 times a month on the weekends; hopefully even more soon. I’m not overly concerned with MPG as I don’t live far from work (4 miles) but we take our car all over (SoCal to Colorado three weeks after purchase!). I’d also be keeping the 20s so if we did go somewhere far where we didn’t plan to off-road (yeah right) I could switch back If needed.

I’d also love to see what the 17” Method looks like in a photo if you can get one, especially if they are running the KO2s as well.

·
Super Moderator
7,425 Posts
Great pics! How are the KO2s on MPG? I haven’t had a set of those on anything yet; I’ve had a set of the previous gen on a truck. I’ve noticed the weight of the Method wheel and a KO2 is just about what an OEM 20” one is, 62.3 vs 63. Wondering how much the tread design will affect it. I’ve heard that the KO2 is a lot quieter than the first gen. The reason I’d go to the 17” vs 18” would mainly be tire selection, mostly for the KO2 but of course to get a little more sidewall as well.

We are going somewhere off-road usually 1-2 times a month on the weekends; hopefully even more soon. I’m not overly concerned with MPG as I don’t live far from work (4 miles) but we take our car all over (SoCal to Colorado three weeks after purchase!). I’d also be keeping the 20s so if we did go somewhere far where we didn’t plan to off-road (yeah right) I could switch back If needed.

I’d also love to see what the 17” Method looks like in a photo if you can get one, especially if they are running the KO2s as well.
Alas, I don't have any pics of the Methods, but someone in the Ascent FB group does.

I have a roof rack on mine that's been eating gas mileage. I plan on taking it off for a bit to see how the KO2's do. The KO2's are actually quieter than the less aggressive Road Ventures.

I still have my original 20's, with only 2,403 miles on them, but I am never going back. Not worth the effort, lol...

I will let you know what type of gas mileage I get once I remove the rack. I could get 27-28 mpg highway on the Kumhos if I tried (and kept it below 70 - but the speed limit here is 55, so, that's not as tough as in other areas of the country). I could get another 1-2 mpg on the stock tires.

Also, inflate either of them to 38ish psi to support all that added sidewall.

·
Registered
2019 Touring
15 Posts
Alas, I don't have any pics of the Methods, but someone in the Ascent FB group does.

I have a roof rack on mine that's been eating gas mileage. I plan on taking it off for a bit to see how the KO2's do. The KO2's are actually quieter than the less aggressive Road Ventures.

I still have my original 20's, with only 2,403 miles on them, but I am never going back. Not worth the effort, lol...

I will let you know what type of gas mileage I get once I remove the rack. I could get 27-28 mpg highway on the Kumhos if I tried (and kept it below 70 - but the speed limit here is 55, so, that's not as tough as in other areas of the country). I could get another 1-2 mpg on the stock tires.

Also, inflate either of them to 38ish psi to support all that added sidewall.
I’d appreciate it. I’m expecting the tires to be a 1-2 mpg hit but am curious. And I know what you mean with the basket! I’ve learned to take mine off unless we are going somewhere that we need it, though it is a pain and you seem like you are out on the trails way more than I am.

also, the rims you re running are a 38mm offset as well, correct? How does it drive? Did you run the wheel setup before your lift? Curious if the slightly wider offset with more tire helps out with the steering not having much of a deadspot. One of my very few complaints with the car so far. I might end up getting full skid plates before a lift but I’m not sure. I do know I’ll get both eventually lol.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts