Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Pros:

I really (no, REALLY) like Subaru’s decision to have buttons and knobs for those settings that can change from drive to drive or even during driving.

Examples - change audio volume and radio tuning with knobs. Set cabin temps with knobs. Change fan with knobs. Turn seat heating/ventilation on off with buttons. Change display views quickly (radio, nav, etc) with buttons under the display.

I understand some mfr get cute and make you use the screen to navigate menus to do simple stuff like turn on heated seats and whatever. I would hate that. Things that fall readily to hand that don’t really require me to look away more than an instant does not make for a busy dash, it’s a useful dash.

Ingress and egress with wide openings and easy step in. Those of us in the gray years like this a lot. Those of you who aren’t there yet...oh, you’ll see. Yes, you will.

Finally had some rain. The auto wipers are very good at coming on and regulating their activity. They come on sooner with even a light rain than I was used to, so I have the sensitivity down, but very pleased at the operation and associated activation of headlights when operating.

Awesome LED headlights.

Infotainment is nicely responsive. After playing with settings and input levels I’m fine with the stereo system. Each of my cars is different and this holds its own. Maybe I’ve never had a great kicking system, so I have nothing to nit pick here and I like what I got.

We love being able to flip the rear view mirror to camera view.

I like seeing engine oil temp. I’m surprised how much I can quickly influence it, though. I can swing that 20 degrees up or down pretty quickly just with driving style.

I was totally skeptical of Subaru’s decision to sandwich the intercooler ‘twixt heat soaked engine and hot hood, ducted or not, but during oil checks I noticed I am collecting dead local fauna on the intercooler, so something is apparently working.

I get 19s in mixed driving. Considering this is surrounded by V8s in my driveway that can only dream of such numbers, I am totally happy with that.

Stuff I still gotta get used to:

Trans and engine hunting under various conditions. I don’t think anything is wrong. I came out of a V8 suv and my 2/3 of the time driver is a V8 sports car (thus appreciation for Ascent ingress and egress), so each time I get in the Subaru I kind of have to adapt my style a bit I think. We’ll see; it’s still new.

I’d like more feel through the wheel as to what’s underfoot, but it’s stable enough and isn’t dead on center; small movements do something, so not a thing I guess.

I think the trans whines faintly on cold mornings. Then it goes away after about 3 miles. I whine a little on cold mornings too, so maybe it’s just mirroring me to make a connection. :rofl:

I spent some time searching for the setting where you designate the default radio/cd volume on start up. It’s a feature I like, but I think this car doesn’t do that. I’ve learned to spin the volume way down when I park so da wife doesn’t throw a “WTH?” at me.

I turned off the beep every time the cruise detects or loses the car in front. Next to be sentenced to banishment is the lane keep beep. I can probably tolerate the little lights on the windshield, and I bet I cannot banish them.

Am I correct that I cannot open the hatch from driver’s seat with the doors locked, or am I doing something wrong?

After reading all these posts I’ve been keeping tabs on oil level. It is over the top dot, but not a lot, and doesn’t change. I’m less concerned about the car being perfectly level, and more about “net change” as I check it in my parking spot at work keeping car attitude consistent.

I miss remote start on fob. I think a lot of us do if used to that.

I have yet to get the factory nav to understand me. It keeps saying to state the number, street, city, and state. I do, it repeats itself, I try again slower, louder, monotone, no joy. Apple car play nav works fine though.

AVH turns off if you unbuckle. Go into drive through, unbuckle to hike up and get your wallet out, and AVH goes off. Weird. Spooky too if you are used to AVH working in traffic.

The front cup/drink holders...don’t, really.

Next weekend it goes on a 2,600 road trip driven by my daughter. Really interested to see how all that goes.

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Limited
801 Posts
I have yet to get the factory nav to understand me. It keeps saying to state the number, street, city, and state. I do, it repeats itself, I try again slower, louder, monotone, no joy.
Have you tried speaking each digit instead of combining them into larger numbers i.e. "one, four, nine" instead of "one hundred forty nine"?

That's the only way I could get the voice nav to consistently understand me. Doesn't seem to like tens, hundreds or thousands.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes.

I have some travel tomorrow with some coworkers. They don't know it yet, but at stops we're gonna play, "ok, you try it". One drives an Outback. So, we'll see. They don't know about that little team building exercise yet. :D

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes.

I have some travel tomorrow with some coworkers. They don't know it yet, but at stops we're gonna play, "ok, you try it". One drives an Outback. So, we'll see. They don't know about that little team building exercise yet. :D

And of course today it worked...

·
Registered
421 Posts
Am I correct that I cannot open the hatch from driver’s seat with the doors locked, or am I doing something wrong?
I don't know about locked, but I definitely can't open mine if the car is in Drive. I kept doing that when dropping my daughter at swim -- especially on days that we're running late, we'd pull up, she'd hop out and run to the back, and nada.

I figured out that it was me staying in Drive with my foot on the brake. Unsafe practice anyway.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've experimented a few times and concluded I have to unlock the doors for the hatch to work.

Guessing it's a security thing; they don't want someone able to open your hatch and slip in if the doors are otherwise locked, and it doesn't differentiate between the outside hatch button and the inside button.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
3,886 Posts
Yes, just like on the current generation of Outback, the rear hatch button on the dash or the fob will not work if the vehicle is running and locked. (IE, you're sitting in it) This is even when it's in Park.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts