Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just at my dealer getting the ventilated seat fixed on my Ascent and I noticed the dealer had multiple lifted vehicles in the showroom but no the Ascent.

I asked the service department if the modifications void the warranty and if they do lift Ascents. The answer was yes they do a 2" lift along with new wheels and tires and quoted a price of $4,500 with a 50,000 mile/10 year warranty on the modification.

Now I was thinking about lifting the Ascent but waiting until the warranty period was up (already at 16K miles).

For those that have lifts I had a few questions:

1) Has the lift affected MPG much? I don't want to drop from say 20MPG to 13MPG I know wheels and tires can affect this as well I'm just curious
2) Any difference when driving on winding back roads?
3) I hadn't priced this out at all but how much higher is this than what others have paid?

·
Registered
124 Posts
There has been a letter from SOA floating around that is telling dealers like this to stop offering lifts because they can not guarantee it does not effect eyesight. Ive been wanting a lift also but am avoiding it due to the warranty being voided. I would hope the dealer that provides this warranty since its not through SOA would stick to it. I could see if management changes they can start saying we can no longer adhere to this warranty as it should have never been offered in the first place.

Something to think about, just be cautious.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There has been a letter from SOA floating around that is telling dealers like this to stop offering lifts because they can not guarantee it does not effect eyesight. Ive been wanting a lift also but am avoiding it due to the warranty being voided. I would hope the dealer that provides this warranty since its not through SOA would stick to it. I could see if management changes they can start saying we can no longer adhere to this warranty as it should have never been offered in the first place.

Something to think about, just be cautious.
I saw that in another thread and while it does worry me a bit I still think going with the dealer could be a better option than a shop that hardly ever lifts Subarus. Dealer is Autonation so they are pretty large too which makes me think a happy repeat customer would be better than a disgruntled customer. Especially since they are sandwiched in between Audi and MB so the service center needs to be a tad better to prevent customers from defecting to the luxury German brands.

Trying to get more information from the dealer first as I wasn't sure if skid plates would be included or the exact size of the wheels and tires as they didn't have a lifted Ascent in stock. They had a lifted Forester and Crosstrek in the showroom with lift and offroad tires which is why I even thought about asking.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Just realize that all of the available lift kits at this time cost under $1K, w/tax, shipped anywhere. Installation is the variable and is not difficult by any means. The hardest part of the front suspension install is removing the springs if the lift kit replaces the stock springs. The hardest part of the rear suspension is supporting the subframe to install spacers and getting access to the rear bolts from the inside of the vehicle. Again, if springs are being swapped, you have to do that.

Overall, it can be done by anyone with tools/ramps in an afternoon at home, probably solo. After the lift is installed, go to Firestone store for a lifetime alignment purchase and you are golden. $4500 seems ridiculous even if the warranty was a new replacement Ascent. Installed, a complete kit warrantied should be under $2K

For warranty, you are at the mercy of the install shop/yourself/dealer. As with any mod, you have to pay to play. If you think the vehicle will be adversely affected by the mod, "Stay Stock, Stay Happy".

I plan on doing the Primitive 1.25" lift kit as they are local, doing the install myself. They are the only kit thus far that offers stiffer springs. I want the springs to help eliminate the squatting when the bike rack is hanging off the back.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just realize that all of the available lift kits at this time cost under $1K, w/tax, shipped anywhere. Installation is the variable and is not difficult by any means. The hardest part of the front suspension install is removing the springs if the lift kit replaces the stock springs. The hardest part of the rear suspension is supporting the subframe to install spacers and getting access to the rear bolts from the inside of the vehicle. Again, if springs are being swapped, you have to do that.

Overall, it can be done by anyone with tools/ramps in an afternoon at home, probably solo. After the lift is installed, go to Firestone store for a lifetime alignment purchase and you are golden. $4500 seems ridiculous even if the warranty was a new replacement Ascent. Installed, a complete kit warrantied should be under $2K

For warranty, you are at the mercy of the install shop/yourself/dealer. As with any mod, you have to pay to play. If you think the vehicle will be adversely affected by the mod, "Stay Stock, Stay Happy".

I plan on doing the Primitive 1.25" lift kit as they are local, doing the install myself. They are the only kit thus far that offers stiffer springs. I want the springs to help eliminate the squatting when the bike rack is hanging off the back.
This includes new rims and tires with everything coming from LP Adventures. So while the lift kit might cost ~$1,000 the rims and tires add quite a bit.

·
Registered
498 Posts
This includes new rims and tires with everything coming from LP Adventures. So while the lift kit might cost ~$1,000 the rims and tires add quite a bit.
Another case of not reading a post correctly...
So what tire/rim package they putting on this thing?

·
Registered
498 Posts
LP Adventure 18"x8" rims and BF Goodrich KO2 255/55/18 tires.
Nice rims, bad tire. And when I say bad tire, I am referring to the size. That size is smaller than stock. I THINK people have actually run that size without a lift on the Ascent. On a lifted Ascent, they look bad IMO. If I were going with a lift AND KO2s, I'd want the 265/60/18s. Otherwise, I'd skip the lift and get the 245/65 on 17" rims. Just something to consider

·
Registered
685 Posts
Don't forget to upgrade your sway bar bushings after raising the center of gravity and increasing the un-sprung weight at the wheels. The CKE CVT trans mount insert is also a good idea.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Which sway bar bushing would you recommend also how can I get your cvt trans mount inserts?
I run Chris' 75d in the front, and 85d in the rear. Just be sure to lube the F out of them. I installed them a few months ago but squeaks started to appear. I followed someones advice and got the Lucas Tacky red spray stuff. It got rid of about 90% of the squeaks. If I would have taken the bushings back out and applied the same stuff in non-spray form, I'd bet 95-99% of the squeaks would be gone.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
I was just at my dealer getting the ventilated seat fixed on my Ascent and I noticed the dealer had multiple lifted vehicles in the showroom but no the Ascent.

I asked the service department if the modifications void the warranty and if they do lift Ascents. The answer was yes they do a 2" lift along with new wheels and tires and quoted a price of $4,500 with a 50,000 mile/10 year warranty on the modification.
The dealer is warranting the mods they make but will they warranty any knock on issues. Say if you break an axel will it be fixed under warranty. Subaru probably will deny the repair because of the lift. The dealer might then say it’s not part of the modification and not warranty it. You should get them to clearly put in writing what will be covered by them. Or assume the risk.

·
Registered
685 Posts
I run Chris' 75d in the front, and 85d in the rear. Just be sure to lube the F out of them. I installed them a few months ago but squeaks started to appear. I followed someones advice and got the Lucas Tacky red spray stuff. It got rid of about 90% of the squeaks. If I would have taken the bushings back out and applied the same stuff in non-spray form, I'd bet 95-99% of the squeaks would be gone.
This is the 1st report I have heard of with the 75d. Now the 85d are similar to regular poly and wish I could find nicely packaged sticky grease that I could include. Sourcing one has proved difficult. But as you say, a tacky, synthetic, marine grease is the best. Subaru has started to put grease in their new rubber bushings also.

·
Registered
685 Posts
Which sway bar bushing would you recommend also how can I get your cvt trans mount inserts?
Most of the Ascent Owners who have them as street cars all ghave the 85d. I personally think the 75d are better for someone with a lift, and they plan on using it offroad, dirt and fire-roads and such. But again, the differences are minimal between the 2. The 75d is about 15-18% stiffer than stock rubber, the 85d about 22-25% stiffer.

You can email me direct on all. I do have the CVT inserts back up on ebay.

·
Registered
103 Posts
What’s up fourmo! Haven’t spoke in a bit. Hope all is well. Thanks for the advice. So do you recommend both types of lube or just the Lucas tacky when installing? Thanks. Btw read the rally innovations thread on here. I have them using my vehicle to mock up some cool stuff.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Most of the Ascent Owners who have them as street cars all ghave the 85d. I personally think the 75d are better for someone with a lift, and they plan on using it offroad, dirt and fire-roads and such. But again, the differences are minimal between the 2. The 75d is about 15-18% stiffer than stock rubber, the 85d about 22-25% stiffer.

You can email me direct on all. I do have the CVT inserts back up on ebay.

Thank you. Will visit the eBay link !

·
Registered
498 Posts
What’s up fourmo! Haven’t spoke in a bit. Hope all is well. Thanks for the advice. So do you recommend both types of lube or just the Lucas tacky when installing? Thanks. Btw read the rally innovations thread on here. I have them using my vehicle to mock up some cool stuff.
Lucas only. With regard to RI, i'm not sure I am in the market for their Ascent products as I doubt they would be compatible with my current skid plate from Primitive. Maybe for the 2020 Outback XT should that find a way into my driveway.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Lucas only. With regard to RI, i'm not sure I am in the market for their Ascent products as I doubt they would be compatible with my current skid plate from Primitive. Maybe for the 2020 Outback XT should that find a way into my driveway.
Haa haa. Funny. We have very similar situations. They are working around my primitive skid plate as well. Also looks like I will most likely grab the onyx outback as well to join my line up. That would be the sti ascent and soon to be outback.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks for all the feedback on this! I think I might stick to my original plan and wait till the warranty period is up before making any changes or maybe I'll just replace the rims and tires so I have more of a selection.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I fully understand that lifting it would not cause any issues with the CVT. But when lifting, most people are upsizing the wheel tire package and this would cause more of a strain the tranny right? More torque to get it going, then maybe lower RPM at highway speeds. So are we saying that the warranty would not be void of the tranny goes out? Also, with those with larger tire/rim combo, are you recalibrating the speed?

Just some thoughts before I jump in with a 2" lift kit.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.